Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aeromaster biplane cowl question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aeromaster biplane cowl question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:23 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromaster biplane cowl question

I have a Aeromaster bipe that i bought used that has a round plastic cowl with the engine mounted sideways(os.91).... i was wondering if anyone has mounted it rightside up or inverted and does anyone have a different cowl that would look a little better than the existing one( besides whoever cut out the cowl did a lousy job)

I want to either mount it right side up or inverted and go with a better looking cowl ( i'm not too found of round cowls)

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Aeromaster biplane cowl question

On mine I mounted the engine side ways because the upper wing would make a tight fit for my hand to reach in to pull the glow plug clip. Inverted would be good to because that would put the needle vale on the side and the glow plug on the bottom. You could also use a remote glow plug clip like on a helicopter.

Dru.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

i've seen bleach bottles used for cowls. if trimmed well, they serve well. if you botch the first attempt your out of an empty bleach bottle!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kit and what size?????? On mine the cowl is round and you make it from wood framing and sheet it. Mine is the 60 size and as I recall it was from GP. My engine is side mounted and I have the head just about sticking out and the pipe is out the bottom. Very clean looking and no engine snot on the plane. If you need it I can post up some photos tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

There are aftermarket fiberglas pieces available for the aeromaster, a bit of searching should find them for you. The original had the engine mounted upright, with plenty of room to get at plug, needle, etc.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Try Fiberglass specialties or Stan's Fibertech. I have a Specialties cowl for a Goldberg Ultimate; very nice.