Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New Setup,look, good or bad

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Setup,look, good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:27 AM
stunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Setup,look, good or bad

I have decided to dump my old plane which was just a simple electric kit.This is my next setup, please tell me if some of the parts are not the greatest for the price or i dont need them.

Also is the Dubro smoke system good

Parts:

Sanyo KR1300SC 1.2 Volt Cell w/o Tab
Tower Hobbies Build-It CA Thin Glue 2 oz.
DuraTrax Kwik-Pit 250cc Fuel Bottle
Great Planes Long ProGlo Starter w/Charger
Top Flite MonoKote Yellow 6'
Top Flite MonoKote Missile Red 6'
Dubro S6 Square Fuel Tank 6 oz.
Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo
MDW Aviation Super Dri Smoke Oil Gallon
Dubro Super Smoker
Tower Hobbies Hand-Crank Fuel Pump
Hobbico Latex Foam Rubber 1/4"
Great Planes Ultra Precision Fuel Filter
Top Flite Power Point Balancer
Great Planes C.G. Machine
Hobbico Steel T-Pins 1-1/4" (100)
6YG FM R127DF 4 S3004 59 72970
Hobbico CS-55 Servo Deluxe Standard U
Great Planes Spinner 2-1/2" Nylon Red
Great Planes Plated Wheel Collars 5/32" (4)
Great Planes Plated Wheel Collars 3/32" (4)
Great Planes Tailwheel 1-1/4"
Great Planes Rubber Treaded Wheels 2-3/4" (2)
Great Planes Silicone Fuel Tubing Standard 3'
Great Planes Fuel Tank 14 oz.
Great Planes Nylon Clevis 2-56 w/12" Rod (2)
Wildcat Premium 10% Extra Quart
Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit .45-.61,61"
APC 12x8 Sport Propeller
SuperTigre Sport Glow Plug Medium Heat Range

Grand total
about $450 - $500
Old 05-21-2005, 06:31 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New Setup,look, good or bad

What motor do you intend to use. Even with a .61, that 12x8 prop is a little heavy. I'd get a 12x6 and a 12 x7 also.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:23 PM
stunner

Well i am going to use a super tigre 60 that i already own and with the 12*7 prop. Do you think it will have a good flight or do i need to get rid of th esmoker for weight issues.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:39 PM
chris channon

Hi, get rid of the smoke idea, .61 is not nearly big enough to produce the heat needed to heat the oil for smoke plus it is a lot of weight to carry for not a good result, i agree, a 12x6 will be just fine. Smoke systems work really well if you can pre-heat the coil enough before injecting in to the manifold, they work better with a Petrol (english) gas engine.
Hope this helps in your choice,
Chris
Old 05-21-2005, 03:57 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

I had an ST 61abc in a GB Super Chipmunk that was plenty fast with both an APC 11.5X6 and a 11X7. The 12X6 didn't help it any. The main thing with any ST engine is to make it rev. The 12X6 slowed it down. And you will need a bigger fuel tank too. With that 6oz. you'll be looking to land in about 8/9 minutes. Use a 14 or even a 16 ounce if it will fit. Just make sure it's at the proper height with the centerline of the tank 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the spraybar in the carb. Nice choice of airplane, always wanted to build a GP Sportster 60. [8D]
Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 AM
mcarleno

I would throw in some other finishing stuff if your going to build this plane. You will need Micro-ballons and Formula 560 Cockpit glue. Plane looks great with a 1/8th pilot.

A ST60 should be a good choice. I would definately go with an 11x6 or 11x7. This plane will not hang so go for speed because she will really move! I have a Tower 75 turning 12x8 and she screams. What a great flyer.

I would also look at some of the recommended mods here. Most recommend dual aileron servos instead of using the torque rods and a single. If I were to build here again, definately. This plane also has a high landing speed, no bad stall tendancies but she will land fast. I you have a computer radio it would benifit from flapperons or mods to add flaps, but it is definately not required.

Also, if you go with the wheel pants. You will need silver solder to solder on the pant retainers. They a tricky to get on and have them stay. Sig makes heavy duty nylon pant retainers that have a set screw. I ended up taking mine off because our field is hard pack clay and they just filled up with dirt all of the time. I also built mine as a trike (this was my first plane).

Another thing, once you install the fuel tank (14oz) it is permanent. The tank gets basically built in. I crunched my Sporster about a year ago. Quit a bit of repair work, but I damaged the fuel lines. I had to cut out the tank. I re-installed it with a hatch.

You will love this plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15201.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	275320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55684.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	275321  
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
stunner

Thanks for all of your sugestions, they are really helping me out. Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure as heck would find a local place to buy my fuel too. That quart bottle from Tower will get you about three 15 minute flights, and costs a lot more than buying by the gallon locally.
Dennis-
Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

You have chosen an awesome plane to build and fly. The Super Sportster 60 is a pretty easy build, although it requires a decent bit of sanding on the front end. The flight characteristics are superb. It is able to handle a fair amount of wind, perform classic aerobatics, and yet land like a trainer.

I am currently flying mine with an OS 61FX swinging a 12x8MAS. It screams in the flats and has very nice, but not unlimited, vertical. If you have any build questions, dont hesitate to ask here on the forums, or send me a PM. Having recently built 2 of these, I have them fresh in mind. Also, as some of the others mentioned, the smoke idea is not very practical for a plane of this size, unless you power it with a fairly hefty 4 stroke such as a 100. This would put a great deal of weight on the nose and its already a cramped area.

Be sure to read through the build instructions several steps ahead to get a good feel for what's coming up. A few easy mods can be made if you can do them before the build gets ahead of you. Dual aileron servos and dural gear are common mods for this kit. I, on the other hand, have always built mine in the stock configuration. If properly reinforced, the standard gear setup is very sturdy. and a single standard servo will drive both aileron torque rods with ease and authority.

Good luck in your build, and shoot us some pics as you go!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Goosh! all that stuff....! Some are bad and some will just be good.
After 30 years in this hobby I wished newcommers would get a 10-12A, 12V motocycle battery and a automatic glowdriver panel instead of those small weak NiCad 1,2 V ignitors.
As for propeller you should use a 12x6 APC. 13x4 or 13x5 might work to. 11x6 and 11x7 is too small, at least if you fly at sea level.
Forget about the black Master airscrew props, they are the worst props on the market!! They are noisy and have no performance compared to APC props.
Glow plug to use: OS 8 or a Enya 3.
Fuel: 5%-10% nitro, 5% nitro is all these Super Tigre engines need to throttle well.
I hope this isn't your first airplane, as such it is not a good choice. And forget about the smoke system. Balancing machine..?? I have allways use my fingers to balance my airplanes ....both 375km/h pylonracers, sport airplanes and scale airplanes.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden