Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Ultra Sport PLUS, is a real 3D performer?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Ultra Sport PLUS, is a real 3D performer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
HFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Ultra Sport PLUS, is a real 3D performer?

Hello all, I like this plane, and I'm seriouslly considering it for my next project, but I have just one concern, is it a real 3D performer? capable of harriers, elevators, water falls, etc. what do you US+ owners think ???

Thanks ...
Old 05-25-2005, 09:55 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport PLUS, is a real 3D performer?

Hfrank,
In a word, no. The Ultra Sport series (60 size is my favorite) are some of the best flying sport planes ever designed (IMHO), but they aren't very suited to 3D flying. I guess you could convert them, but that would take a lot of modifications. Mainly reducing weight, enlarging rudder and elevator surfaces, and giving all more throw.

Once again my opinion, leave the US stock and fly it as an acrobatic plane. They are a blast to fly. I like them so much that I have enough of the US 60 kits in my closet so that I won't ever have to worry about not having one.

That's my 02¢ worth
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
fstevenj

You have to be careful about the opinions of people on this plane. The Ultra Sport + is new and different from the old Ultra Sports. They do not make a 60 or 1000 for the new version and you can no longer get the 40 60 or 1000 of the old version. Many people loved the old version and make comments about them, but might not be able to judge the new Ultra Sport +. I am currently building an Ultra Sport + so I have no comment on it other than what I read it looks like a good all around plane that does everything well, but is not designed for anything specifically.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

fstevenj,
I have flown the "new" Ultra Sport + and I still stand by my opinion. When I answer the post I assumed he was refering the the US+ because that is all that is available now. The "old" and "new" US fly pretty much the same. The new one still won't make a very good 3D plane, IMHO

[8D]
Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 PM
fstevenj

No problem, just wanted to make sure you were talking about the same planes. I've run into other forums where there has been confusion. Thanks for your opinion on this plane.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:59 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree. It is a presice plane and will do almost all pattern manuvers with ease, but most 3D is out. I have come close to hanging it on the prop, but thats about it. Great plane to fly, Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-26-2005, 02:51 PM
fastplane

RCKen
Where do I find some info on the GP Ultra Sport 1000? Size, engine, etc?
Is this just for sport flying, aerobatic? What does it compare to?
Thanks,
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Well, in my opinion there isn't anything to compare with it. That's why I have a closet full of them!!!

Tech data. Scroll down to discontinued planes

[link]http://www.greatplanes.com/techsupport/technotes.html[/link]

Link to the GP Ultra Sport 1000 manual in PDF format.

[link]http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/gpma0425-manual.pdf[/link]

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 PM
fastplane

Thanks. I did not see what the wingspan for the 1000?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I just looked through my instructions and I didn't see it in there. I'd have to pull one of the kits out of the closet to look at the plans. I'll see if I can't get one down this weekend.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 PM
fastplane

RCKen
I was able to measure a built GP Ultra Sport 1000. The wing span is 80".
A guy wants to sell a completed one. Looks really good.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Fastplane,
I thought it was somewhere around that. I had 78" stuck in my skull, but didn't want to say anything unless I was sure. If you can get one jump on the deal. Once you get an Ultra Sport you'll find yourself in a hurry to get the flying field, and you'll have a silly grin on your face all the way home. They are great flying planes.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:29 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

I have the 1000..great flyer with a YS 1.20 FZ See it in my gallery... halflight
Old 05-31-2005, 09:32 AM
HFrank

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm a bit dissapointed,[&o] as GP states this plane is 3D capable. More opinions about the US+ ?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

I have toyed with purchasing the UltraSport Plus but heard the same comments.... great tracking plane with a nice wing but not a 3D performer without building non-stock. I think Great Planes is alittle optomistic about their claims for 3D. If your looking for a 3D plane, get the 40 UCANDO and put a 91 4stroke in it..... we have alot of those at our field and there is little it cannot do.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
JMOR06

My UltraSport + should be in the air soon OS fs70. I started it for the first time yesterday. One more tank of fuel and it should be ready to fly then I'll see what it will do in the air. The kit wasn't a bad build but I have to agree with some other US+ threads. The 1/16 sheeting is thin. I put a finger or two thru it with ease.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i have one with a saito 72 which with the gear as is could not get the ground clearence to spin a 13 inch prop. i am , after pulling the firewall out during a crash, modifying the gear to be swept back aluminum mains which will give me clearance for a 13 inch prop. it has enough tail surface and i imagine with enough tweaking it would be possible but i doubt it as is. also during building i would recommend reinforcing the firewall. it has a split two piece firewall with no support from behind the prop dug in to the ground during a landing pulled the firewall cleanly out at the split.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
MrSteve09

Hi All,...

For those of you interested in the "old" versions of the Ultra Sport, particularly the Ultra Sport 60 and Ultra Sport 1000; both of these were published a construction articles in R/C Modeler magazine. Plans from these construction features are still available from RCM.

The Ultra Sport 60 was published in the August 1989 issue (plan # 1048), and the Ultra Sport 1000 was published in the April 1992 issue (plan # 1114). I spoke with the designer of the US1000, Jim Feldmann, about the airplane. He said that when he designed the US1000, it had a 74 inch wing span. However when Great Planes desided to kit the airplane, they wanted it to appeal to the IMAA crowd and stretch the wing out to 80 inches to make it IMAA legal. Jim said the plane had plenty of wing at the original designed length of 74".

I know it I ever get around to building the US1000 I definitely would use the shorter wing. Anyway,... for what its worth the older versions of the Ultra Sport are still available if you are willing to build from plans.

Sincerely,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Atom Ant

I have an Ultra Sport 40+. I have flown it with a Magnum 70 rfs, strong but not fast, kind of 3-D, not like a U-Can-Do, but some capabilites. It was only my third plane at the time. I then pur a Tower .46 in it and it was fast, but no 3-D power. I now have a GMS 75 2-stroke and it is really fast and appears to have plenty of power for 3-D. I increased the weight about 2 oz with this engine and lead to balance It flys great. Pattern is really good. I have retracts installed and a slghtly bigger engine which increases the wing loading. The rudder and elevators are big and have really good throw. However, to me it just seems to be a bit heavy for the wing area to provide good 3-D. I think if you have significant expirience flying 3-D it would be O.K. If you are new to 3-D buy the U-Can-Do 46. I have one with the Magnum 70 rfs above installed and I have learned so much with this combination. Many people are saying it needs a 90 4-Stroke, but I have plenty of pull-out power and it harriers and hover perfectly. With a little head wind I can make it stand still in the air, level. It really helps to tech you 3-D. Than you can go to a heavier, smaller wing plane. The wing loading on the US+ is 20-22oz, on the UCD46 it is only 14oz.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

There is a US 1000 for sale on ebay:

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19164&item=5978356929&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW]Ultra Sport 1000[/link]

Not sure if the price is good or not.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Current bid is $190. US 1000 usually goes for around $200, so that price is right in line with where it should be.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends upon what you mean by "real" 3D. Please remember that the kit came out about 3 years ago, and some definitions have changed. The Ultra Sport 40 Plus will hover and pull up into high-alpha maneuvers. Are there other airplanes that will do it better? Yep. However, the model does fly as claimed in the hands of a pilot able to perform those maneuvers.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Atom Ant

I love to fly this plane.... but every time I do there is a problem, either the gear fails or the engine dead sticks. Today I had to land in the water. It floats. No radio or engine damage. Hopefully everything will dry and I will be able to have another UNsuccessful flight!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
HFrank

Thanks Bax, and while I don't expect it to perform like a modern profile does, I do expect some good hovers, torque rolls and harriers, and you've already answered my question. By the way, is an Irvine .53 enough power for it ??

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Irvine .53 engine should be plenty of power as long as the model's built within its weight range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.