Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

YS or Saito for SE build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

YS or Saito for SE build

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:46 PM
dljager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS or Saito for SE build

What engine would you use and why? I've read several posts and still can't make-up my mind!

Douglas
Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: YS or Saito for SE build

My current build is a SE + Saito .72. I chose the Saito because of it's adequate power, weight comparable to a good .46 2C, and competative cost. The only real disadvantage is that the larger prop requires taller landing gear for ground clearance. The DuBro gear is a good replacement for the stock set. The Saito .72/.82 seems to be the most popular choice in 4C for this bird. I don't think I will be disappointed.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I flew my SE with a YS .45/Hatori tuned pipe. I inverted the engine and ran the pipe along the bottom of the fuse. Performance was very, very good.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the YS, OS and Saito four strokes and the Saito is the most user friendly of the bunch, the OS is easy too but the YS can take some tuning know how compared to the other two. The YS just has gobs more power though and the tank location makes no never mind to the fuel system.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Which one do you own and what's your experience?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM
campbec

Hi,

Both are excellently designed and manufactured motors. They do have slightly different characteristics however. In automotive terms, IMHO, the Saito is like a reliable big bore V8 and the YS a BMW M3.

Both are extremly reliable and when run in, ( a much longer and different process to ABC two strokes), and tuned are set and forget. Here in OZ the YS is more expensive than the equilivant Saito.

I know it doesn't really help but I'm sure you would be delighted with either. Maybe what you plan to put the motor into after your current project may influence your decision.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-31-2005, 08:13 PM
dljager

Would an FA-82 be too much power? I have heard that to much, can be just as detrimental and what about fuel consumption. Another thread was suggesting going with a Dubb Jett 60L. Any thoughts?