Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Little Cap

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Little Cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Barnowl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Little Cap

Any opinions on how this plane flies? I am considering putting a Supertigre 75 (an old Italian one) on one. Is this a good fit?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Midwest Little Cap

The plane has a very high wing loading and isn't that good of a flyer. I haven't flown one and that's just what I've seen. Anything below half throttle on any engine in the recommended range is almost an out-of-control brick.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

If built carefully and light the Little Cap is not a bad flyer. The ST .75 will do okay but it won't have the kind of performance I think one would expect of this type of model. The ST .90 would be a better choice if ur going with ST's, IMO. Mine has an OS .91 4S on it and while it has good performance, it doesn't have the vertical I would like.

BTW, start with the CG at the forward end of the envelope and move it back a little at a time. The Little Cap is sensitive to rearward CG and will develop a nasty tip stall and snap if it's too far rearward.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

The ST75 should work well on that plane. Stick with a lower pitch/greater diameter to start out, but remember not to over prop it either. If you're building it yourself concentrate on building it light. With the wing area this plane has, even at 8lbs the wing loading should be about 25oz/sq.ft. That should make for pretty good low speed characteristics. If you could build it at 7 or 7.5 it would be just that much better. Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:28 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had an OS91 FX two stroke in it. This is a bigger plane than you think. Used a 14 x6. Flew very well but was not for the slow of thumb. Snappy with too much elevator throw dialed in. Not a brick; just a ton of fun.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Mine weighed just over 8 lbs with the Supertiger 90. It flew ok but no vertical and no fun. I got a YS91AC and it flys great. Although I would agree that the plane will snap badly if you give it too much elevator. Not sure if I gained or lost weight but it is a different plane now. The plane's prototype was flown with the YS91AC so I should have tried that first. The YS110FZ is pretty pricey but you can pick up a good 91AC on this site pretty regularly or the other big auction site. I don't think the 75 would provide any vertical at all and you wouldn't have any fun with it.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

I was able to keep mine just under 8lbs. It has an OS 91 four stroke turning a 14-7 that flies it well but not overpowered. Certainly would be better with the YS or maybe a Saito 100. Watch the elevator throw and have fun. Not a brick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10118.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	297057