Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What is MonoKote Trim Solvent?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What is MonoKote Trim Solvent?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:49 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is MonoKote Trim Solvent?

I know what it is, where to get it, how to use it etc, but what is it actually? It's something that activates the adhesive, so is it just a generic solvent like rubbing alcohol? I'd like to get some, but the bottles are so expensive and I'd hate to just pay that much for a branded version of paint thinner. Thanks guys!
Reid
Old 10-16-2002, 03:01 PM
gone.

Default Monokote Trim Solvent

I have personally never had any luck with the stuff. It could certainly be me but it seems when I put it on then attach the monokote over the other monokote something bleeds and it looks like somebody messed up.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:44 PM
flap

I learned, right here, to use acetone for a cheap cleanup, gets the bleeded color off easily!
I just looked, trim sealant contains, you guessed it, acetone, just tried some acetone on a peice of fabrick and it did indeed activate the glue!

have fun
Roger
Old 10-16-2002, 05:18 PM
flyingfever

I've not done a lot of trim work with the solvent, (one plane only) but I've never had a problem with bleeding. The man at my LHS warned me about the potential problem. He said to put the sovent on per the instructions, so light you barely know it is there. The lay the monokote on without shifting it side to side.

I usually do stripes and I do one end, from the middle out. Then the opposite end from the middle out. That way I'm only rolling the stripe back off the plane, and then down onto the plane.

There's my 2 cents,

Fever
Old 10-16-2002, 09:39 PM
flytime56

when you use the trim solvent, all is is is acetone at a higher cost. i find the best way is to have is on a flat and even surface. first, put your trim onto the main color, with a small over lap. what the trim solvent does is activate the glue. by aplying the trim solvent to a cloth and just going over the seam, the solvent will seep into the crack and the glue will set. one note, when using this, it really glues the two together for good, it's hard to take them apart without destroying them.

this also wooks great when you have that seam that keeps coming up on you all the time, it won't come up again, and yea, is also does a great job at cleaning up, especially if you used too much heat with one color and smeared it onto the next color, will clean it all up.

GB
Old 10-17-2002, 02:27 PM
wfortney99
My Feedback: (310)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Cleaner

Originally posted by flytime56
this also wooks great when you have that seam that keeps coming up on you all the time, it won't come up again, and yea, is also does a great job at cleaning up, especially if you used too much heat with one color and smeared it onto the next color, will clean it all up.GB
Amen.......It's also a great cleaner to prep the area you are going to apply trim to during the initial building or during repairs ..... but use it sparingly and in a well-ventilated area.

I use a magic marker to make my trim alignment marks and it cleans those marks off. Plus any Lusterkote overspray :stupid: can be cleaned off the adjacent monkote with a Q tip and some Trim Solvent.

A bottle last a long time but I'll try Flap's suggestion of straight acetone next time.

Bill
Old 10-19-2002, 12:28 PM
onewinglow
My Feedback: (1)

I have seen this stuff but never have used it. Will it work on UltraCoat?
Thanks
Scott
Old 10-19-2002, 10:56 PM
flap

It should work fine, expensive, but works fine.
You can buy the same active ingredient by the gallon for less money than that 4oz bottle will cost, home Depot, lowes, Probably Wall-mart too, ACETONE.
I was a firm believer in trim solvent, until I found RCU and picked up this as well as a lot of other tips.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:22 AM
wfortney99

Default Ultrakote

Yes it works equally great on Ultrakote.

Bill
Old 10-22-2002, 01:58 AM
Dsegal

> Yes it works equally great on Ultrakote. <

Why would you want to use this when Ultracote covers itself smoothly, without bubbles?

Dave Segal
Old 10-22-2002, 12:13 PM
wfortney99

Default Color leaks

To clean up any two tone color junction leaks that might have occured.

Bill
Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Dsegal

I am still puzzled as Ultracote has no color in its adhesive, unlike Monokote. It looks transparent to me.

Dave Segal
Old 10-22-2002, 01:27 PM
wfortney99

Default Opps too hot !

The glue is clear but from personaly experences (at least with the older Ultrakote) the edge can bleed/smear if the sealer temp is a little too hot ! :stupid: Used it alot while covering a red / white Astro Hog.

Bill