Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Skybolt engine recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Skybolt engine recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:36 PM
DamonTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Skybolt engine recommendation

I'm thinking about bringing out my old Skybolt. It's been mothballed for about 5 years. The only reason I did that is because back then I needed the engine for something else.

It was flying with a ST.61 but I remember it being a little underpowered. I have a ST.91 but would rather stay at from Supertigers all together because I've never had confidence in them to begin with.

Anyway, the question is.... Has anyone flown it with an O.S. FS 1.20? I have one lying around looking for a home but that seems like a whole lotta engine for the Skybolt.

Thanks,
Damon
Old 07-23-2005, 09:00 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Skybolt engine recommendation

Hey there. I have a skybolt with an OS 120, its a great combo, flies very good. Hovers at full throttle, so its not really overpowered, but its by no means a 3D Plane.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I did a GP Skybolt for a guy a few years back, powered by an OS 1.20 Surpass. The heavy engine required weight in the tail to balance, even with the radio equipment at the rear of the wing opening. Power was more than adequate with what seemed like unlimited vertical doing rolls. This was before the days of 3D, so I can't comment on hovering.
Full throttle flight speeds were very fast and you should heed the instruction book warning about doing very stiff, slop free control hookups. If you're not accustomed to throttle management, this would be a good time to learn it!
Another guy in our club has one powered by a .91 Surpass, somewhat overweight, and it flies fine.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be excellent. I prefer a YS 110, but if all I had was an OS 120, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Have any of you guys flown the old Sig Skybolt? I recently acquired one that is already framed up but the engine that came with it is an antique O.S. that I believe was made in the late 60's. The Sig version of the Skybold is a little smaller than the GP version but it does call for a .60 size engine. Any idea how big of an engine the old Sig will handle? These bipes sure are beautiful. I'm tempted to pick up the GP version for a winter project.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

I have a GP skybolt and I would put a .90 sized 2 stroke or the 1.20 sized 4 stroke. this thing builds tail heavy, and you'll need the extra weight in the nose.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 AM
DamonTX

Thanks for the replies. I was in a funfly yesterday where I saw someone with a Golberg Ultimate with an FS 1.20. Though they're different planes, they're basically the same size and judging by his performace, my FS 1.20 should be perfect for the Skybolt.

Since it hasn't flown for a long time, I think I'll give the Skybolt an overhaul in the coming weeks so I can fly it while the weather is still good. Since my dad and I have about 70 planes between us, we've stopped building so much over the past couple years. Most of our shop-time has been overhauling the old ones. It's been a lot of fun breaking down the old ones, recovering and making them look like new again.

Thanks again....Damon
Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

The oldest flying plane in our club is an old Sig Skybolt. It's on it's second covering/paint job and still flies like new....and that was very nicely indeed. It's powered by an old Webra .60 Blackhead that pulls it along pretty fast. The pilot doesn't do a lot of vertical stuff, but the power seems to be adequate.