Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 GP 60 Cub and Robart landing gear >

GP 60 Cub and Robart landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP 60 Cub and Robart landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 60 Cub and Robart landing gear

I just bought the robart 1/4 landing gear for my GP 60 Cub. THe struts are a little wider than the current plywood floor so I guess a new one will have to be put in. Problem is to put the floor so the wheels are where the current stock gear has them would interfere with the wing struts. Can I move the gear forward a bit? I think it's about 1/4 inch or so. DOes anyone else have experience with this gear combo? Should I just put the gear up and save it for a different cub?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: GP 60 Cub and Robart landing gear

If you like the GP Cub, no reason not to give it a new pair of shoes.The interference you are talking about, is it the rear gear mounts will go at the same spot the wing strut mount is at?. If so, that is how the full-scale is. What you might have to do is to add the extra floor you are talking about to the inside of the cabin, and then notch the underside of the fuse where the strut mounts fit so they become flush with the bottom of the fuselage, then mount the gear on top (underneath!) them, You might have to re-drill a hole or two for the screws to fit, I would strongly recommend putting blind nuts inside the fuse floor , on a reinforced strip, for front and rear gear mounts.

You can mount the gear a little bit forward if you'd like, though, a 1/4 inch would barely be noticeable, but recheck your balance either way, the Robart gear is probably a tad heavier than your old aluminum or wire gear. You're gonna love the scale gear. Have you decided how to make the bungee covers? Thin upholstery vinyl works great, use small snaps or velcro to hold them together.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that's exactly the interference I was talking about. I will see about making that mod. I hadn't thought about bungee covers yet. Do the ends of the covers need to be tight around the struts?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The bungee covers should sort of enclose the bungees. I bought a scale gear from William Wallace for my 1/5 scale and it had covers with it. They have a very thin strip of velcro to keep them closed, and the ends are drawn up with a "purse string" stitch. I would have done it a bit differently, by rolling the edges under and then using the purse string. Here's what mine look like. Notice the rear gear mount on my gear sits behind the wing strut mount. This is how the Wallace gear fit, but the front mount is in the proper location.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22454.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	311020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73635.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	311021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37483.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.2 KB