Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who Makes The Best Kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who Makes The Best Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:39 PM
skirkham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Makes The Best Kits?

I am getting ready to buy my first kit to build. I have looked at several trainers but I want to know who makes the best kits and why you think so. I built a kit about 15 years ago but never flew it. I plan on building my trainer and then start on my second plane while I am learning to fly the first.

Thank You
Scott
Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who Makes The Best Kits?

Scott, you can't beat Great Planes for completeness of kit, ease of build, and clear concise instructions. I've always been impressed with their kits and instuctions. Just pick one for your skill level, and have at it! There are lots of good threads on this site for "first kit" or "second plane" if you do some searches. Let us know what you pick, and post a build thread (with pics of course!).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:44 PM
carrellh

My first kit was the Great Planes PT-60. I definitely recommend it to anyone as a first kit and as a really good trainer.

Another trainer kit to consider is the SIG LT-40. RCKen is doing a build thread on it in the beginners forum. He is showing lots of photos and explaining each step of the build.

Edit-------added link to LT-40 build thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 AM
dasmiller

In general, I don't disagree with the other posters about Great Planes - as far as I know, they've never sold a bad kit. Still, personally, I prefer the Sig LT-40 over any of the GP trainer offerings.

Not sure what your building background is, or engine size preference; my absolute favorite trainers are the Sig Seniorita and Kadet Senior. They are definitely builders' kits, though - there's a lot of construction involved in those big, pretty, lightweight fuselages. The LT-40 is also very good and it's a quicker build.

It depends somewhat on what you ultimately expect to fly. If you want a trainer primarily as something you have to fly before you can get to hardcore aerobatics or scale warbirds, then the Sigs may get a little boring for you and the GPs may be better. If just puttering around the sky sounds good, then the Kadets are delightful planes.

For what it's worth, I do both. I fly some badly overpowered airplanes with absurd roll rates, unlimited vertical, and snap rolls that should probably rip the engine right off the mount. But I also have an old timer and when there's no wind, I trim it for big circles, set it to about 1/3 throttle, put the transmitter on the ground, and just let cruise around for a while. 17 minutes yesterday, in fact.

So - for trainer selection - where do you want to wind up?

One last thought: There are some very good .40 and .60-size ARF trainers. Now, in my opinion, there aren't enough real builders anymore, and if you're interested in building, then by all means go for it. But do it because you choose to, not because you didn't realize you had choice.

(a trainer that was actually built by the pilot is inherently much cooler than one of 25,000 identical trainers built in a factory by people who've never actually seen an RC plane fly and don't care to).
Old 11-26-2005, 01:10 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand the desire to build your first plane. I did the same thing, built a Sig Kadet MkII. Did not want a scratch on it, it killed me every time I drug a wingtip or ground looped it ,etc, while learning to fly it. My advice is to buy a cheap ARF and learn to fly it while you build your second plane. I have to agree that both GP and Sig make good kits, but I like Sig's better, for no particular reason. Your first plane is gonna get beat up and abused, and it's easier to not have to fret every time you put a new ding in your "pride and joy". For a second plane, the Sig Senior is great. You can modify it easily to add ailerons, and remove most of the dihedral. Another one that is a great second plane is a 4-Star, go for the 60-size.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:51 AM
goatboy

Great planes.. the pt-40 and 60 are good ones to learn your building skills and to fly. I built MANY of the PT-40's years ago for other people and they where always fun to fly especially if you build the sport version wing. I have also built AND have a PT-60 that I train other people on. that has a OS 70 four stroke on it. It was an easy build but they seem to be tail heavy, so I cut some litening holes in the rear fuse. my wife has a Sig- LT-40 it also flys nicely but as Dasmiller said it gets boring quickly. What ever you pick just take the time to do it right and you will have a blast! dont worry about dinging up the plane because you will know how to repair it and it will probably be more durable than some of the hot glued arf's out there. If you do get an arf go over it and reglue some of the joints and check the covering. I also use epoxy and fiberglass strips on the center of the wing joint (top and bottom)to strengthen it. I have seen many arf's AND kits wings break at the center joint because of a bad glue job and not glassing the center. I have never had one come apart. Ok...... the caffine has wore off time to go to bed, its almost four in the morning.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:38 AM
bofrcr

ORIGINAL: dasmiller

In general, I don't disagree with the other posters about Great Planes - as far as I know, they've never sold a bad kit. Still, personally, I prefer the Sig LT-40 over any of the GP trainer offerings.

Not sure what your building background is, or engine size preference; my absolute favorite trainers are the Sig Seniorita and Kadet Senior. They are definitely builders' kits, though - there's a lot of construction involved in those big, pretty, lightweight fuselages. The LT-40 is also very good and it's a quicker build.

It depends somewhat on what you ultimately expect to fly. If you want a trainer primarily as something you have to fly before you can get to hardcore aerobatics or scale warbirds, then the Sigs may get a little boring for you and the GPs may be better. If just puttering around the sky sounds good, then the Kadets are delightful planes.

For what it's worth, I do both. I fly some badly overpowered airplanes with absurd roll rates, unlimited vertical, and snap rolls that should probably rip the engine right off the mount. But I also have an old timer and when there's no wind, I trim it for big circles, set it to about 1/3 throttle, put the transmitter on the ground, and just let cruise around for a while. 17 minutes yesterday, in fact.

So - for trainer selection - where do you want to wind up?

One last thought: There are some very good .40 and .60-size ARF trainers. Now, in my opinion, there aren't enough real builders anymore, and if you're interested in building, then by all means go for it. But do it because you choose to, not because you didn't realize you had choice.

(a trainer that was actually built by the pilot is inherently much cooler than one of 25,000 identical trainers built in a factory by people who've never actually seen an RC plane fly and don't care to).
Old 11-26-2005, 06:45 AM
bofrcr

I agree 100% about "not enough actual biulders"!!! ,, too many,,"buy and fly" anymore,, sure,, there's guy's that just don't have the time,, and don't have the mechanical "gene",, I respect them,, but too many use that as an excuse,,I think,, ok,, I'll get off my soap box,,LOL,,
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 AM
rowdytimes
My Feedback: (4)

I've been in the hobby since Feb 3 1970 and the most enjoyable kits/planes out there are done by Great Planes. They have done for kits what monokote did for covering. Thanks, Terry.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:59 AM
CTDave

I have built many of the kits and some of the arf'a I keep coming back to the sig kits.The Lt-40 is a great and complete kit for first time build,I built one to learn and kept it stock right out of the box then built one with the mods(bolt on wings,bigger engine,servo's out on the wing for airlons,tail wheel and so on) I will build another this winter.When your ready for a sport plane the 4*'s are hard to beat for build and flying.All and all the different makes are pretty much the same pick one that you like and start athe glueing.This hobby is hard to stop once you start.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Sig, new Top Flite and Great Planes top three in IMHP, not necessarily in that order
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Blue_Moon_

>Top Flite
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
glueboy

I've been in the hobby since Feb 3 1970

You have a great memory.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:13 PM
tonyL1

Balsa USA kits arent too bad, lots of carving etc, but for the price of many of them, ive been impressed, got 3 of them now
stick 40 plus trainer, taube 40 and a stingray 40
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Kenj

As a pretty new pilot I chose the LT-40 ARF . One reason I went this way was for the size of the plane making it much easier to see so you can fly it a bit further away giving you a bit more time on the controls without having to make continuous inputs. I've flown this plane with Another member who was learning at the same time with a Hobbico Nexstar and the slow flight characteristics of the 40 are much better making landings much easier, other than the 40 wants to fly and fly and fly on no wind days. It's a good idea I think to start with a kit to learn more about the plane when it comes time to fix it but time was a issue with me as I was anxious to fly after destroying my first plane which was a kit. Almost made me cry after all that work gone in seconds. Just a little advice find yourself an expierienced pilot and go on the buddy box with him it'l save you a lot of grief.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:46 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Sig LT-40. The kit is quite complete, and they gave you great tips during the build that are necessary to understanding this hobby. There is also a nice booklet included that introduces you to some basics of RC.

I have trained people that have began with arfs, and some that have built kits. THe kit builders are always quicker learners, and understand their plane much better.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
ROBT4

After building many kits from different mfg,my vote goes for great planes kits.As for a good trainer either the GP PT40 or SIG LT40 is a good choice.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is like saying "Who makes the best beer?"

Each company has their quirks and idiosyncrasies, but in general, you can't go wrong with the Big 3 - Great Planes, Goldberg, and Sig (In that order if you ask me, but to each his own)
Old 11-27-2005, 06:51 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I would definitely say that Sig's newer kits are the best kits due to their supurb laser cutting, good designs, and premium wood. All the GP kit's I've built are good designs, but the wood is lacking[&:] and die/crunched[:'(] parts aren't so great either.[&o]

Woops
Old 11-27-2005, 08:09 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Sig, new Top Flite and Great Planes top three in IMHP, not necessarily in that order
I think Top Flight is Great Planes
Old 11-27-2005, 09:24 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CA Models makes great kits.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM
dicknadine

Sorry, I can't help you since the last kit I bought was a MEGOW back in the middle 1930's. have been plan and scratch building to my plans since then. anyhow its the same old story-- personality. I like this one, he likes that one. you have to form your own opinion and GOOD LUCK whichever way you choose to go. dick
Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 PM
pgitta

Go to my all inclusive kit database in progress and filter on "Trainers".

You'll see all of maybe a half percent of the trainers available....god I didn't realize how many kits there are.

Should be finished in 2024.

The GP PT series is there though, and I noticed the Goldberg Eagle trainer has the lowest loading so far for a 60 range.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM
spitfire60

just want to agree with the guys about SIG Kits---built a dozen and all were very good---the kadet 25 --is a great kit but it is a tail dragger---i built one and put a light weight 40 in it ---It weighs 4.75 lbs--- it all so is not that small it is 63 inch wingspan--and a long tail moment for staight flight-----the tail dragger works Great off a grass field---it flies very slow --or will fly quick with the light 40 -- maybe os40 la or something like that--- it is also quite strong in less than smooth landing

Good Luck in what ever you pick
Old 12-01-2005, 07:51 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

how about Midwest kits? Looking to build the Citabria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.