Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Gee Bee R2

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Gee Bee R2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:20 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gee Bee R2

I want a GEEBEE R1 kit or ARF to build and just hang for looks. .40 or .60 size
I do NOT want a Z model
Old 11-11-2002, 02:01 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Default Gee Bee R2

http://www.adrianpage.com

That's where I bought my 60 sized R2 kit.. I haven't built it yet, but it is a nice looking kit!!

Just a thought
deck
Old 11-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Gbee

Default Gee Bee R2

I built the Adrian Page GeeBee R2 kit, but haven't covered it yet. It was a mildy difficult kit to build and I've built about 20 planes. The instructions are sparse but include some photos. I'd recommend the fiberglass wheel pants option if you plan to fly it. It comes with a glass cowl which is very lightweight and well made.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:56 PM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

Default Gee Bee R2

I also vote for the Adrian Page Gee Bee. It's the R2, not the R1 (which I think is what you said that you are looking for.) The only really noticable difference is the shape of the cowl.

Gbee - what did you find difficult about the R2? I have the complete kit with all the glassed goodies, but I have yet to start building it. I also have the RCM construction article. I would really appreciate it if you could give me a heads up on any areas which might be taxing.

Thanks!
TRP
Old 11-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Gbee

Default Gee Bee R2

TRP,

What I found taxing was the lack of detail overall in the instructions (and the RCM article) and plans. I had trouble understanding construction of the rudder and its fit with the fuselage. I built the kit last winter, so I don't remember the details. Another RCUniverse member has been emailing me directly with specific building questions. I go to my workshop and look at what I did, 'cause I haven't covered it yet. You can certainly email specific questions to me when and if you have them. I'm no expert, but I did build it straight and it looks real good so far.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:30 AM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

Default Gee Bee R2

Gbee -

I appreciate your offer to help where you can. Thanks! I will be sure to e-mail you when I have a question or two.

Ted
Old 11-16-2002, 04:34 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default R2

I am in the process of masking my R2 for the red paint. The Adrian Page is a nice kit but would be a much more enjoyable plane had the instructions been more complete. This is one that a lot of modelers may start but not finish. It is kind of like wrestling a watermellon on the work bench. Boy I hope this thing flys well. This is the first plane in very long time I have invested a lot of emotional value in and since I have never hard anything good about how these planes land. I am looking forward to the experience.
Sparky
Old 11-16-2002, 01:11 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default Gee Bee R2

I am about 3/4 of the way through constuction of the Page R-2. I agree that the instructions are a little sparse and more photographs would be helpful. Construction is a little different than I am used to but I think it will result in a very lightweight model which is a very, very good thing for a Gee Bee.
The wood and fiberglass parts are very high quality and overall I have been satisfied with the kit. It is my understanding that Mr. Page is very helpful if you have questions although I have not called him for that purpose.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:22 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default Gee Bee R2

I built the Gee Bee R2 from scratch. My advice with the rudder, Be patient! It takes a lot of sanding and fitting to get it to look right. I highly recommend the fiberglass pants. The gear is going to take a lot of abuse and I doubt that ABS will hold up very well. Hope to have mine flying in the spring.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:03 AM
tgott

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I building one too!

This thread has been quiet since Nov/02 but if anybody is still watching I'd like to join in. I started my Page R2 and plan to fly it this spring. So far have the wing done and fuse framed.

I see a lot of talk about building but nothing on flying this airplane. Is there any experience out there besides the August 01 article????

Id be happy to converse with anyone building an R2. I find the intructions and photos a little sparse but the plans are excellent and so far have found that if you study the plans carefully, all your problems will be solved. Definitely not a beginner build but I am having no trouble. This will be the 4th plane I have built counting my Eagle 2 trainer.

Email me if you want to talk turkey about the R2. By the way... the Delmar Benjamin replica book and video are worth the money if you love the Gee Bee. see www.geebee.com.

Tom
Old 01-17-2003, 02:40 AM
elmshoot

Default Instrument Pannel

Tom,
I'm still here, Mine is done and I am waiting for the weather to get better to fly mine. Look at your info from delmar and see if he has any pictures or drawings of the instrument pannel.
Sparky
Old 01-17-2003, 04:26 AM
Den B

Default Gee Bee R2

OK Elmshoot Fess up

Whats the end result MR
Specs Please

Engine?
Tank size
Type of covering
Servos and RX and type of batt
ALL UP WEIGHT

I'm Framed up and almost ready for $ilk and Dope on mine

Den
Old 01-17-2003, 09:25 AM
elmshoot

Default my r2

Not much time...
YS.91 AC APC 15x6
Slimline muffler.
16 oz hays tank.
Nelson Covering and paint
between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs
I posted mother details on a similar thread
Sparky
Old 01-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Gbee

Default Gee Bee R2

I'm still here too. I built mine in the bones last winter. I tjust needs to be covered. I was planning on using white 21st Century film and painting the red, but I haven't covered it yet. I used individual servos for each elevator half with metal in plastic push rods. I have a Saito 100 and an OS 91 Surpass II - haven't decided which to use, but I built it around the OS.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:02 AM
tgott

Default Gee Bee R2

Well looks like all you Gee Bee builders suddenly woke up and started talking again.

Sparky: Sorry - the Delmar book has over 200 photos but nothing of the instrument panel. You could e-mail him from the web site. He was very responsive to me.

I want everyone to promise to come back in the spring and report on their maiden flights!
Tom
Old 01-18-2003, 03:45 PM
linclogs

Default Gee Bee R2

There's a cute little ARF Gee Bee R2 running on eBay now (and for the next several days)- item# 3108486146.

Let me state right up front this auction is NOT mine, is NOT anyone I know, and I DO NOT have any connection with it. I don't believe in advertising ones own auctions on eBay here on RCUniverse.

Having said that, I do believe that if fellow modelers here on RCUniverse are making inquiries about certain items, and I happen to see something on an auction site that is the type of thing they are looking for, I don't think it's a bad idea to pass the info along.

This ARF is a little smaller, approximately 43", for .25 2-stroke or .30 to .56 4-stroke. From the photos, it looks like the company who made it did a really nice job (It doesn't say what company makes this and, since Gee Bee's are not some of my favorite modleing subjects, I don't keep up on the kits).

Regarding ordering stuff from Delmar Benjamin, after going to his website I tried to order a video from them last year via email. Got a reply back from his wife, I believe, telling me to email my credit card number (which I did) then never heard back. Numerous emails from me went unanswered. My credit card was not misused - just never heard anything again. Still felt uneasy about that though!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48169_13557.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	22210  
Old 01-18-2003, 03:46 PM
linclogs

Default Gee Bee R2

Here's another photo of the completed ARF (I snatched these off the auction page)...

Name:	48170_13557.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	22211  
Old 01-18-2003, 04:39 PM
tgott

Default Gee Bee R2

Originally posted by linclogs

Regarding ordering stuff from Delmar Benjamin, after going to his website I tried to order a video from them last year via email. Got a reply back from his wife, I believe, telling me to email my credit card number (which I did) then never heard back. Numerous emails from me went unanswered. My credit card was not misused - just never heard anything again. Still felt uneasy about that though!
Don't ever send your credit card # by e-mail. Anyone could pick it up en route. For my order, I just called Delmar on the phone (listed on his web site) and got the video in 10 days. It's great by the way.

Intersting about the ARF. I had never heard of it. Wonder who makes it. Did you notice that the registration numbers on the 2 photos are different??
Old 01-18-2003, 04:58 PM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default Page Gee Bee R-2 Kit

Hi Guy's, Just got off the phone with Adrian Page to place my order for the R-2 Kit, pants, radial kit , ect.. I have heard good things about the kit and was most impressed with a friend of mine's R-2 that he has framed up from Hostetler plans (80") version, the glass cowl looks like a car wash bucket ! sitting on his work bench it looked so good I just had to order one but did not want to get into "plans only" type project. From what I have read from you guy's I think this will be a nice complete project, I am interested in the difficulties with the rudder section if you wouldn't care to go into that a little for me.. Also what is the shipping situation from Canada? Page said standard shipping took 3 weeks and express took 1 week (I opted for express, $4 more) .... thanks for any info , Bud...
Old 01-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Den B

Default Rudder woe's

Well the Rudder is not that bad to build it is just if you are used to more modern kit design the "fall together type" you may have too do a little head scratchin.
Realy it is combo of laser cut AND built up technique the rudder base and ribs are laser cut then you build up from stick stock and shape the area that fits in the rudder "pocket" ( for lack of a better term).

Quite a bit of sanding and fitting is needed but it works great and looks TOO COOL.
I did manage to reengineer the tail wheel set up so it is mounted on the Fuse and still operate off the rudder without any external linkage
I also did an internal pull pull set up on thr elevator also, I just can't figger out how to do an internal set up for the wing sevros.

I did enjoy the kit and is almost ready for silk

Get the Glass pants they sure are nice

Whats going in mine
Saito 100
Jr 700 rx
wings Hitec 125 MG flat servos
Rudder Hitec 85 MG
elvevator Hitec 85 MG
Throttle Hitec 81 MG
Covering Sig Heavy silk
Sig Supercoat Dope for the finnish
My goal is to keep it as close to 61/2 lbs wish me luck on that one.

Shipping was about three weeks and I did pay the extra $

Den

Name:	48198_12074.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	22212  
Old 01-18-2003, 10:08 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default Gee Bee R2

budcop, the rudder is a very close fit into the fuselage fairings and requires a close fit if you want it to look right. If I am not mistaken, the gap between the rudder and the fairing on the real Gee Bee is only 1/8 inch. The fitting process is complicated by the shape of the rudder cross section which is sort of like 1/2 of an elongated hour glass. It is not really hard but it does take a lot of fitting and fussing to get it right. As a matter of fact I am doing that very thing on mine at the present. BTW, the rudder contour shown on the plans is very close
Old 01-19-2003, 05:04 AM
elmshoot

Default My R2

I didn't have any problems with the rudder, in fact I just followed the drawings and then trimmed and sanded to fit.
Sparky
Old 01-19-2003, 06:36 AM
linclogs

Default Gee Bee R2

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tom Gottlieb

Don't ever send your credit card # by e-mail. Anyone could pick it up en route.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been told it is safe to send credit card info by email as long as you send the number in parts - in other words, do it in 2 - 4 emails. There are several companies I've done business with in the past that have recommended that when I complained about them not having a secure page to order on. I've not had a problem doing that. Not saying it could never be a problem though and I'd sure rather have an encrypted page to work from.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:51 AM
Aero-Junkie

Default Gee Bee R2

I started my gee bee in october its still bare bone's. I'm finishing the wheel pants right now. I have every thing I need to finish it but cant find true red top flight paint. ...I found the tail section also a little tedious. Building the Plane just takes time,Dont be In a hurry.(winter project) I found the cockpit area confusing too,But I made a round not square section so the canopy fits Better. My r2 is no spring chicken but I definatly seen worse stuff fly in the air.
My gee bee
Os 91fs s 2
Hitec hs-85mg mighty micro servos
Dave brown 4'' big wheels slimline muffler sullavin golden rods
Old 01-25-2003, 03:18 PM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default golden rods

aero-junkie, I noticed that you are using the golden rods, was just curious as my friend is building a BIG Hostetler Gee Bee and has problems attaching items in the fuse due to the large open area, is this why you elected to use the golden rods?

(still waiting for "express delivery" of my Gee Bee kit) How Long Does it Take? Bud....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.