Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What would you like to see in a kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What would you like to see in a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:05 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you like to see in a kit?

I've noticed that the kit manufactures will, from time to time, visit this forum. I've also noticed that there aren't many new kit designs that have changed the course of modeling history lately. I'm posting this thread to give ideas to the kit manufacturers. If you have any ideas on a good kit please post. Please don't bash anyone in your post.

The kits that I would like to see are:
(1) 50cc Yak 54
(2) A GOOD 3D type kit in .40, .60, and .90 sizes

Thanks,
Woops
Old 12-27-2005, 06:30 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: What would you like to see in a kit?

i like those choice also

i am doing the mojo 60 right now everyones says its 3d heaven:

http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo60/mojo60.html
Old 12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
XTOL

A nice 60 size pattern ship. There are simply no pattern kits
anymore unless you go up to the mega$ 2 meter ships.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to see all ARF and kit manufacturers just forget about the hardware.

I end up replacing it all anyway.

I don't like paying the price for a kit and then throwing all the hardware in the trash. Drop the price $20 and let me buy my own.

Lanier does it this way. Some of the ARF distributors do it like this. Never stopped me from buying one of those kits. I actually LOOK for them without hardware.

Or start putting good, high quality hardware in the kits. If your not going to do it right--then just forget about it.

Kit and ARF Manufacturers:

Your current idea of GOOD and HIGH QUALITY is my idea of total cr@p. Just forget the hardware--you obviously have no clue what kind or type of hardware a real modeler will put into a plane.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 AM
Rate1

Rcpilte, you are def right about harware. The mfg are better off not including hardwear. Eventhough they say it is good quality hardware (most is not), everyone has a dif opinion in what hardware to instal in their plane.
I would like to see a modern light weight design in a .60 size Extra 330, with a 2-piece wing, airfoiled tail feathers, carbon fiber maingear, glassfiber cowl and wheel pants, canopy hatch and without hardware. Building options in the plans for dif modifications pending upon what you would like from your plane. Eg extra big ailerons or reg size, rear mounted elevator servos or not, centre of gravity mounted fueltank or reg position depending on if you will use a pumped engine or not... I would buy a kit like that in a heartbeat.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Test005

I think major kit manufacturors such as GP & SIG should include metric messurements in the plans and instructions book.
It would be great for us non-americans to have metric dimensions mentioned for wood, hardware, screws, dowels and pushrods.
This would be an easy update to the instruction manual, but very appreaciated.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A 40 or 60 size ORIGINAL Ultra Sport with a Fiberglass Fuse!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
50%plane

Okay, Some of these suggestions are good and valid, but what I had in mind for this thread was to give suggestions for kits. Not how to better kits. The idea for the hardware is a common one in kits and ARFs(especially the F90), but I don't think that it should be removed in most cases unless the kit manufactures wanted to sell it separately.

Rate1, I too think that would be a great kit, but it wouldn't be practical. CF on a .60 size plane wouldn't save that much weight. You would probably end up replacing it with aluminum to balance out the airfoiled tail feathers anyway. Also, the airfoiled tail feathers aren't worth building on a model this size.

Test005, That's a great idea, but the kits are generally cut in imperial measurements and wouldn't be as practical. On a side note, my GP Turmoil ARF had the carbon cut in metric and I had a time with it.[&:] Maybe, they should offer downloadable metric instructions for the kits.

Anymore suggestions?

Keep 'em coming,

Woops
Old 12-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

A HarmonRocket KIT and a Hatz biplane KIT with the engineering that went into the GP Ultimate40.

Reference the word KIT..... hard to bash an ARF....

Given the number of kit builders still out here, I am frustrated by the lack of imagination by the kit builders.
Take what works and make them better.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Test005

Unfortunately we seem to get fewer and fewer kits in favor for ARF's.
The hobby need both kits and ARF's but I guess ARF's are the hotter product and sell more...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I would like to see a nice laser cut, .46 size Ugly Stik kit. Nothing fancy, no hardware needed, just a box of laser cut parts and a plan sheet. It should be priced around $45.00 to $50.00
Buyer supplys all hardware, landing gear, hinges, wheels, engine mount etc....
A kit that can be assembled quickly and the buyer can use most of the parts they have laying around from other previous aircraft. A kit that clubs can use for group projects and events.
Nothing fancy just your basic Stik kit with all the wood parts laser cut.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Test005

Unfortunately we seem to get fewer and fewer kits in favor for ARF's.
The hobby need both kits and ARF's but I guess ARF's are the hotter product and sell more...
I'm sorry, but this thread isn't about wining about ARFs. It's for suggesting kits.

Here's another idea:
A kit of the MX2. I want to build a 42% and a 33% because I LLOOOOOOVVVEE the design. (I need to find some drawings of it first) I don't even have plans to get a motor for them yet.
I would buy any kit and scan the plans to come up with a 3view to work off of.

Woops
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84829.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	377022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37499.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	377023  
Old 12-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Test005

Sorry, no wining intended.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Test005

Sorry, no wining intended.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to get a 'REAL' set of plans like in the old days.

Ya'know, a full size pattern of every rib,former,etc.

Roby
Old 12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roby

I'd like to get a 'REAL' set of plans like in the old days.

Ya'know, a full size pattern of every rib,former,etc.

Roby
Oh, that would be nice. It sucks when you ding a model and then you can't fix the wing because you don't have W3 rib profile. Lots of plans today only show the tip and root ribs. Nothing in between.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a 60 size or any size Pitts kit for that matter smaller than a 120 size, Tons of ARFS out there of the pitts, but I want to build one.

Dauntae
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 PM
dicknadine

its SIMPLE. learn how to plan build and buy your balsa in bulk. only one thing better and thats to draw your own plans and then use your bulk bought balsa. LOOK at what I DID!!!! dick
Old 12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think short kits are the only thing that makes sense these days as far as kits go. I don't want to pay for hardware and balsa sheet and sticks that I'm just going to replace. My preference is to cut all my parts from plans, but there are some designs I'm just too lazy to cut and a short kit would be nice. And maybe a nice fiberglass cowl if necessary. They could easily be in the $30-45 range.

Having said that, I would like to see a 1/5 scale 88" D.H. Puss Moth or Leopard Moth short kit.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Edge 540

I would like the funtana 90 in a KIT! That would be great but I will not hold my breath.[]
Old 12-29-2005, 02:00 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

26 years in the hobby. I can't stand planes that don't look like real planes. Scale is what I like. Scale aerobats or warbirds or civil, it doesn't matter. I wish the flying field looked like a little airport.
I flew my share of sport ships. They fly good. They are easy and quick to build, I'll give you that. But I have learned to build scale planes that perform just as well. And there is no going back to those sport ships.
The market pretty much has the warbird and aerobat segment filled. But the kit mfg'ers have really turned their noses to civli scale.

I think a 60 size Cessna 170 would be a hoot. Or a 60 size Cessna 195. A Swift, Cruisemaster, or Stinson Sedan. These were beautiful classics.

I guess Ikon tried it and it didn't do very well. But their kits were too difficult for most modellers.

I'm building a 60 size bonanza right now.

I have a 60 size Comanche and Navion, 40 size Tripacer and Champ (kits)

People go nuts when you show up with an old school scale ships. People really respond. These kits have a certain something that people relate to. Someone in the family or in the neighborhood had one. An uncle or their boss. They recognise these planes and relate some story or experience. These types are much closer to the common types people have seen. These are the peoples airplanes, built for the masses. They aren't exotics. They are common place and have broad appeal. Its like the Volkswagon Beetle. There is some emotional response to the sight of them. I don't know what I'm trying to say here. (But its in there somewhere)

And because of that, these planes are very fun to fly. Its not gut wrenching aerobatics. Its not a lean mean fighting machine. Its just a stupid grin from flying a Volkwagon Beetle. And since this type of kit hasn't had broad appeal for two decades, people just aren't aware that there another type of "thrill " to be had in this hobby.

And lets face it. A mixed fleet is the best. If you fly heavy metal every day, it looses its sense of speed and power. But if you mix it up and go fly something slow and silly now and them, the hot stuff stays fresh.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 AM
baldeagle_916

I'd like to see more tips on general building that could apply to the kit. I'm on my third kit(Sig Midstar 40) and find the instructions a little sparce. I've also build a Goldberg Eagle II and Bridi Quikest 500(found at swap meet). I think the Goldberg was the most helpful but would like to keep increasing my skill as I continue with more advanced models.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 AM
DamonTX

Theres been a lot of talk about leaving out the hardware needed to complete a kit. In case any manufacturers are listening, I wanted to give a few specifics on this from the point of view of my father and I.

Nylon clevices...We've never used them, dont't trust them and most always use a threaded metal (dubro) clevis on one end of the pushrod and a solder clevis on the other.

Metal wire pushrods...Never used these either. We always opt for nylon, carbon or cable sleeved pushrods.

Engine mounts...Just leave them out and lower the price 3-4$. We've got a huge pile of two piece engine mounts next to the pile of pushrod wires.

Hinges..Wedon't use CA hinges but leaving them out of the kit would probably only save $.05. They're the first thing that goes in the trash.

Landing Gear...Everytime we go to the field, without fail someone in bending their landing gear back to shape. How about at least giving us some options for buying nylon or graphite gear?

ABS cowls and wheelpants...Yes please leave them out. We've given Stan's and Fiberglass specialties a lot of business over the years.

Our main gripe is the instruction manuals of some of the lesser known companies but thats proably better for another thread.

Damon
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: DamonTX

Theres been a lot of talk about leaving out the hardware needed to complete a kit. In case any manufacturers are listening, I wanted to give a few specifics on this from the point of view of my father and I.

Nylon clevices...We've never used them, dont't trust them and most always use a threaded metal (dubro) clevis on one end of the pushrod and a solder clevis on the other.

Metal wire pushrods...Never used these either. We always opt for nylon, carbon or cable sleeved pushrods.

Engine mounts...Just leave them out and lower the price 3-4$. We've got a huge pile of two piece engine mounts next to the pile of pushrod wires.

Hinges..Wedon't use CA hinges but leaving them out of the kit would probably only save $.05. They're the first thing that goes in the trash.

Landing Gear...Everytime we go to the field, without fail someone in bending their landing gear back to shape. How about at least giving us some options for buying nylon or graphite gear?

ABS cowls and wheelpants...Yes please leave them out. We've given Stan's and Fiberglass specialties a lot of business over the years.

Our main gripe is the instruction manuals of some of the lesser known companies but thats proably better for another thread.

Damon
Damon,
do you have any ideas for a kit that you would like to see produced?

Woops
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Rate1

Another attractive semi scale mid-wing kit would be the Cuda in a .60 size. This with all of the same features meantioned at my erlier post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.