Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aeromasteritis

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aeromasteritis

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 04:22 PM
ramcharger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromasteritis

I have owned both the GP and Lou Andrews (AAMCO) Aeromaster 60 kit for about 2 yrs. I just finished the GP Aeromaster 60 and decided what the heck, lets build the Lou Andrews Aeromaster Too kit. Don't plan on flying either till spring. I think there is a shelve life to kits. Not sure how old kit is, I got it on RCU kit buy. Kit is complete however metal hardware such as screws, nuts are rusty or very discolored. Also, the 1/16 inch balsa isn't in real good shape. The Aeromaster's are identical version for version except the AAMCO kit uses rubber bands to attach the wings and landing gear. Should I convert these to screw attachment or build per plans ???????????
Old 11-18-2002, 04:35 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aeromasteritis

I personally convert everything to screw on wings. Don't like rubberbands. Doesn't take much to convert.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aeromasteritis

Rubber is for rookies.

If you bought a new bike that had training wheels, would you leave them on?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:20 AM
erwinf

Default Aeromasteritis

Hi ramcharger,

I just arrived from the test flight of my GP Aeromaster. All up weight is almost 9 lbs with an OS 91 FS engine MA 14 x 6 prop and 14 oz fuel tank.

First flight was around 7 minutes. I had to land because I can stop my left hand from shaking . Plus the wind was around 10 mph. I was able to do some stall turns, a loop and one snap roll. The glide rate quite good for a bipe, must be the wind.

Second flight was around 14 minutes. The wind was still around 10-15 mph. I tried some stall turns, a couple loops and snap rolls. Inverted required a bit of down elevator. I did some vertical rolls, almost unlimited but not quite. I also tried a spin, but exited after 1 1/2 spin. Landing was easy due to the glide rate. I didn't try anything more violent than the snap roll and spin due to the fact that I didn't have any interplane struts installed.

Most of my flying was done on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I only need full throttle when entering a loop or doing the vertical rolls.

All in all, I'd say the test flight was a success. Can't wait for Sunday to fly it again. I'm sure you're going to love your Aeromaster once it's finished.

Btw, go with the screws. Althought installing 8 screws for the top wing might take longer than using rubber bands, it less hassle and more secure.

Erwin
Old 11-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Unstable

Default Aeromasteritis

I have two andrews aeromaster kits (not even the "too") that I need to restore. but I am missing the wingstruts for them and the only plans that I can find for the plane is glued to the ceiling of my friends shop. (his father, previous owner of the bipes before he passed, covered the ceiling in old plans from varions r/c u/c and f/f kits)

anybody have plans or a detailed photo I can look at to fab these? they are both complete for airframe otherwise.

here is a pic of how i got them (and the now dead sweet stick)
I have since striped the other plane and they are waiting on me to acually do something with them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36846_3673.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	22941  
Old 11-21-2002, 11:28 PM
ramcharger

Default Aeromasteritis

Wow, converting the AAMCO top wing to a screw connect is going to be a job. I spoke to soon about the kit being complete. I'm missing the wire saddle that is connected to the top of the inner cabane, the balsa nose block, and one of the grooved pieces of plywood that holds the inner cabane to the box-loc part of the fuselage. Its good to hear about the flight of a Aeromaster. Another club member is finishing a Giant Aeromaster with a US 41 gas engine and it is absolutely spectactular looking.