Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Ultimate .60 or GP Ultimate 40 for next kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Ultimate .60 or GP Ultimate 40 for next kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Ultimate .60 or GP Ultimate 40 for next kit?

I'm almost done with my Sig Somethin' Extra & am looking for my next kit. Thanks to RCKen, I've been looking at the Bipe's & love the looks of the Ultimate's.

I know the GP Ultimate is a .40 size & the CG Ultimate is a .60 size, so there's an obvious difference in size (and cost) but I'd love to know some of your thoughts on the build experience & flying habits.

This will only be my second kit, so I'm still a relatively newbie builder. I also plan to go with a larger 4 stroke on whichever one I build.

Or, is there a different Ultimate kit that I should be looking at? I certainly don't want to go bigger than a .60.

Tony
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: CG Ultimate .60 or GP Ultimate 40 for next kit?

Tony, a .60 size model really dosen't cost much more to build than a .40 size but one thing's for sure, Bigger flys better.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

You might want to check out the responses in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3684262/tm.htm]this thread[/link]. I was trying to decide between the CG Sukhoi and the GP Ultimate. There was some good comentary on the CG .vs. GP Ultimate.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:02 PM
bipeflyr
My Feedback: (2)

Definatly the Goldberg over the GP, the GP ultimate is very squirrily to fly, not as pleasurable as the Goldberg 60, Ive owned both. Keep the GB Ultimate light and it will glide well on deadsticks.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With out a doubt the Goldberg is the better choice. Lighten it up as much as possible and run a light weight engine...resist the temtation to put a huge engine in it as it will only make it heavy...A Saito 100 is perfect!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
tuwood

Great info guys, thx. Looks like the ballot box is getting loaded up for the Goldberg.

One other question; Do you think the Goldberg kit will be a good second kit?
I'm downloading the manual to look for anything crazy. [8D]
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM
winginit69

ive owned both and still fly my c.g the g.p looks good but it fly`s heavy,it was my first ultimate, go with the c.g, the build is not hard just long! if i could do it over i would go rite to the c.g ultimate

if you want a 2 stroke put a m.v.v.s .77 up front you will have a lite powerfull plane
Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
tuwood

OK, I think it's pretty unanimous that the CG is the way to go.
I was looking at different engine combo's & the kit recommends .90-1.20 for 4-strokes, so of course I have to get a 1.20
But taking the advice of jrbmoto I notice that a Saito 100 is 7.26 oz. lighter than the YS 1.10 & 12.9 oz. lighter than the OS 1.20 (ouch)

I'm starting to think that the lighter weight of the Saito 100 may offset the power loss, but would be curious to everyone's thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks

**Edited typo**
Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definately go with the Goldberg Ultimate. Also, unless you are VERY comfortable flying your SSE, I wouldn't recommed an Ultimate as your first Bipe. The Sig Hog Bipe is a much more forgiving plane to get used to the flying characterists of a bipe. The Ultimate, while having two wings those wings are also very short. BUT if you can make your SSE do any pattern manouver, and regularly fly it on high rates, then go for the Ultimate [8D]
Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Connery makes a very good point. An Ultimate is a very advanced plane. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but what I AM saying is that if you do, I would recommend an OS 91, or Saito 100 and nothing bigger.

This plane flies exceptionally well with an OS 91, anything bigger would only be needed for those who really want to push it to the limits.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: Connery

I would definately go with the Goldberg Ultimate. Also, unless you are VERY comfortable flying your SSE, I wouldn't recommed an Ultimate as your first Bipe. The Sig Hog Bipe is a much more forgiving plane to get used to the flying characterists of a bipe. The Ultimate, while having two wings those wings are also very short. BUT if you can make your SSE do any pattern manouver, and regularly fly it on high rates, then go for the Ultimate [8D]
Hey, this won't be my first Bipe, I have a E-Flite Tensor.

Seriously though, I have thought a lot about how advanced I should go on my next plane & decided to stretch my abilities a little on the next one.
I really wanted to buy an aerobatic plane as my first glow plane but swallowed my pride & bought the Nexstar ARF. I found I was able to max out it's capabilities in the first few flights (I am however getting good at hammerhead's & Split S's). I never had to use it as a "trainer" becuase I stuck the first solo landing (with an instructor) & have never looked back.
When I bought my SSE, I hadn't flown my Nexstar yet so I went with a more docile (on low rates) kit versus buying a bigger faster aerobat (staying on the conservative path). Obviously I haven't flown it yet, but I'm guessing I'll be wanting something bigger & faster pretty soon.

So, after babbling on I guess in this one case I think I'm not going to play conservative & I'm going to go for what I really want.
I will stick with a subsonic engine & probably go with the .91 or 1.00.

I do appreciate the input & to reassure you all, I will certainly use an experienced Bipe pilot at my field to help with the maiden & buddy box it until I'm comfortable landing & such. Then again, using a buddy box on an Ultimate may violate some kind of unwritten R/C law. (scratch that) [8D]

Tony
Old 01-13-2006, 04:16 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Good luck Tony, it sounds like you're on the right path.