Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

do i need a different engine

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

do i need a different engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
skymortar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need a different engine

im building a goldberg cub.my father asked me what i wanted for christmas so i said an engine for my build.god bless him but i said 4 stroke and he bought me an mds .58.problem is i cant find any parts to extend the muffler out of the bottom of the aircraft.please help
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: do i need a different engine

I find that a 70ish 4-stroke is IDEAL for this plane (Note, this is one of the best planes EVER with the clipped wing modification)

I think you have 2 choices, Mount the engine inverted and let the muffler stick out the side, or see if wherever your dad bought the engine will let you trade it in on a 70 4-stroke
Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dubro makes some muffler extension material that you could use to extend your muffler out farther.

Here is a link to several alternatives

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 03-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can get rid of the MDS do it. Out of four of them I have had only one run correctly and even that one is very picky as to the tank location, it's the 68. I have had three of the 58s, still have one. Two of them broke the case and muffler and this one I have will only run on the bench, not in A plane.
The carbs are such A bad design that Horizon quit selling them. With A good carb they run great but they are more work then they are worth. A good four stroke is A better choice so ask Dad to take you down and return it while you can.
You can contact Horizon and they can fill you in on all the problems they had, they aren't shy about telling you.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:16 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Typically, a sidemounted engine can use what we call a "pitt's style" muffler when you need to get the exhaust down and out, and where there could be interferance such as a firewall. They are the cleanest set-up to use, and I'm sure alot of Cubs are using them. Now...... that said.... I don't know how available one would be for the MDS, or if you want to keep your MDS...

I'm in agreement with above posts, MDS is one of the tougher engines on the market to get to run correctly/consistently... one of my flying bros(very close friend) took 2 of them back to the LHS due to probs..... If anything.. go with a TowerHobbies brand engine... they run very decent for the money.... a four-stroke is very good for that Cub too, but you can figure about double on the cost of reasonable 4-stroke vs. reasonable 2-stroke. Example... a good Magnum 2stroke .46 is about $80(HobbyPeople) and a Magnum.61 4stroke is about $140-150.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MDS does not have the nicknames "Metal Door Stop" and "Many Dead Sticks" and "Mostly Don't Start" for nothing.

That said (you have my condolences if you decide to keep the engine), measure the distance between the exhaust/muffler bolt holes and check the other makes (OS, etc) to see which ones have the same distance. The OS is PROBABLY going to be your best bet as the majority of these engines are "supposed" to be OS clones.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dido on the MDS problems. Had a MDS 58 a few years ago and could not get it to run right, Wound up selling it on Ebay to someone who really wanted it despite my warnings that it wouldn't run right.

Like others have said, go with a 70 or similar 4 stroke. I had an OS 70 Surpass 4 stroke on a H9 80" cub and was a perfect match. Great running motor and you could slow it way down for that nice scale fly-by with the motor putting along.