Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*60 mod question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*60 mod question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 AM
pilotman520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 mod question

I built the wing with one bay clipped off each side, and I was wondering when I go to put the aileron on which end to cut off. I think I should cut off the narrow side of the taper so that what is left is more effective but figured I should ask first. I don't know if it matters but I intend to use "flapperons" because my last 4* was real tough to land without them. That one had the regular sized wing so maybe the clip will help with the floating too. Anyway I always get great info here and any responses would be great.

Thanks All,

Pilotman
Old 03-03-2006, 07:37 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: 4*60 mod question

With just one bay removed it really won't matter that much but I would clip the small end.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Rollingthunder

I would clip some off both ends...

Now lets here from someone who'd cut the large end. LMAO
Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you should cut out the middle section.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:13 PM
OverTheEdge
My Feedback: (1)

Shouldn't matter either way... I've also seen one with the ailerons enlarged about 50% too.

I'm curious why you need flapperons with this plane??? Unless it's just something to goof off with.

I had one of these years ago and I found it to be just as easy as a trainer to land.

Just my .02
Old 03-03-2006, 03:53 PM
pilotman520

I thought the other one was hard to get it to slow down and land near the begining of the runway. The flapperons helped a lot with the full length wing. Also there is already 2 servos and I already have a computer radio so why not. My technique probably needs a little improvement too.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:34 PM
OverTheEdge
My Feedback: (1)

Don't get me wrong... I too have a computer radio and use flaperons for the same "why not" reason on planes that don't need flaps... lol. I do however remember landing my 4*60 slow enough such that it only rolled about 10' to stop on a grass field. Don't be too afraid to slow this bird down... I found it to be pretty stable at very slow speed.

Taking off with flaperons is fun too... throttle up and in the air it'll go [8D].
Old 03-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4*60 laying on the bench waiting to get started. How many have clipped the wing panels, and how much did it affect it. I ahave NIB Saito .91 sitting there too. I had 4*40 years ago that I clipped twice. When I was done it had two less rib's per wing.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

clipping the wings a bay or two basically just improves the roll rate a bit and reduces some of the floating tendancy that some say the Four Star 60 has on landing. I've never had any trouble with mine floating, because as was stated above, you can slow this thing down to a crawl and get it on the ground very easily. The flaperons are fun to play around with on some maneuvers in the air, though!