Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My GP F-4

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My GP F-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 05:31 PM
fiddy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GP F-4

Here is my attempt at a F4 so far. If anyone else has built this plane and has flown it, let me know what engine you are using. I plan on a ST-75 for it. I sheeted the whole wing so I can fiberglass that and the body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39862_13157.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	24834  
Old 12-08-2002, 11:13 PM
kirknik

Default My GP F-4

I'm about as far along as you are with mine. I have it ready for an OS FX 91.
Did you have a problem with the canopy? I cannot get mine to sit properly on the canopy floor and may have to glue it down. No big deal unless I ever need to get at the fuel tank.
Nice kit but hate the plastic.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:51 PM
fiddy1

Default My GP F-4

How did the 91 fit. I got mine on order now. Wondering if I have to modify the engine mount.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 AM
kirknik

Default My GP F-4

It fits just fine. no problem at all. Mine is also completly sheeted or planked. Using fabric and dope on mine, how about you?
Old 12-09-2002, 02:28 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My GP F-4

I enjoyed building mine....except for that canopy - get it to fit BEFORE finishing the fuse - I followed the instructions and didn't - and regretted it!

Flew 'heavy' to those around, but with an OS .61 it needed a lot of runway...I'd opt for a .91 if I were to do it over.

Jerry
Old 12-09-2002, 02:33 AM
fiddy1

Default My GP F-4

I am glassing the whole plane. I am waiting on a os91. Also , What size fuel tank did you opt for. I need to fit a tank before I finish canopy. I think I have to fit another servo near the front wheel for a push pull steering for my air retract.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:41 AM
kirknik

Default My GP F-4

By the way, you guys still fly this time of year in NY
Old 12-09-2002, 02:45 AM
kirknik

Default My GP F-4

I am going with a 12oz DuBro. Fits nice.
I also have gone with air retract bu no need for a special servo for the nose wheel. Seems it will work fine although radio is not in yet.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:09 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here is my f4

Hi guys,

Here is my F4 with a 91fx. Only has one flight on it. It flys well. Mine has Robart retracts and weighs 11.2lbs DRY. Pic attached.

Anurag
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40014_205.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24835  
Old 12-09-2002, 12:29 PM
fiddy1

Default My GP F-4

We fly untill the snow covers the runway. I fly helis so the snow dont bither me, just the hands get cold.
Ragz-Thats a great lookin Phantom. What did you cover it with? What kinda flight time do you getand what size tank. Im trying to fit a larger tank while im building.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:57 PM
Ragz

Default My GP F-4

Hi, thanks for the compliments. Its covered with olive drab monokote and sparyed with the tan topflite spray. I cannot remember the tank size but its what the instruction manual says. Must be 14oz or something. I think the I shld get abt 7-10 mins of flying time on this tank. I did not fly the entire tank as this was a test flight.

Anurag
Old 12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
kirknik

Default My GP F-4

Nice plane Ragz. I can see the canopy is screwed down, does it fit well all the way around the sides?
I havent put mine on yet as just starting to cover, but I can tell the fit is crappy to say the least.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Ragz

Default My GP F-4

Thanks for the compliments. The canopy fit is ordinary....nothing to write home about. But it does the job ok. Plane looks fine with this fit.

Anurag
Old 12-23-2002, 12:55 PM
DIPSY

Default My GP F-4

I'm feelling inspired now having seen what a good job you guys have done. I'll have to make a start on mine now. I plan on building som flaps into mine just to make it a bit more 'Rhino' like on approach. I've got a brake chute and mechanism that will fit too. Should turn a few heads! Any pit falls to avoid while I'm building apart from the canopy and rudder linkage?
Dave
Old 12-23-2002, 04:04 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default My GP F-4

Dave

I just finish my F-4. Well I'm still changing a few things. First definitely you will need an engine bigger than the .61 this ship is heavy, for the nose retrack build a service door, you will need it for service and adjustments, nose steering, I'm using the push rod that came with the kit just make sure to secure the guide tube at the end by the nose gear so it does not flex, because the nose gear wire is long I recommend two nose wheels for stability and looks, If you choose a bigger fuel tank it will interfere with the canopy, so, thinking ahead, you could drop the fuel tank floor to give room for that, it is going to seat higher than the carb. any way, when you build the fuse sides do not waste your time sanding the fuse sides all over just the part that is in front of the nacelle intakes, the plastic parts most likely will not fit so be ready for that, fitting the wing to the fuse you may have to make room for the wing's leading edge, the nacelles will have to be cut just enough to seat it, add fiberglass cloth to the plastic joins specially the air intake and the servo cover.
The wing, here make sure to use 30 mim epoxy for strength and to add light ply ribs to the ribs holding the main retracks again for strength ( heavy aircraft ).
I can't think of anything more for now but I'm sure there is more I just have to look into manual for the notes I wrote just for this reason, to past the inf. to others.
Let me know if I can help you with any other question.

Carlos
Old 12-23-2002, 04:57 PM
DIPSY

Default My GP F-4

Thanks Carlos
I planned to put an 'Irvine .72' in, because this type of model should have great vertical performance. I'm trialing a oleo type nose leg on my ARTF Phantom and it has twin nose wheels. I also make a habit of using oleo main legs. Lets face it the Phantom was never designed to be flaired on landing. RAF pilots used to just slam them onto the runway and throw out the anchors.

How long did it take you to build the model?

Dave
Old 12-23-2002, 10:31 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default My GP F-4

To long, when I got the kit I had other airplanes so I did not see the need to build it, when I start working on a project I do not stop working on it 'till is done, I keep pushing it, at the end it has been 4 years this Dec. Somebody posted here that he build it in one month and a half, so there you have it.

Pictures sometime this week.

Carlos