Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CGB Super Chipmunk

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CGB Super Chipmunk

Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 AM
TheoA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGB Super Chipmunk

Any tricks, tips, mods, or other things to abide by. This will be my 4th model that I've assembled, but the first one in a while (7 years or so)

(I finally decided that cars cost too much money to play with, so I'm going "back to my roots" )
Old 12-17-2002, 11:33 AM
ysrcflyer

Strengthen the landing gear blocks (too light-will split on the first landing!)

Stay away from the single servo/bellcrank setup

Flew mine for 12 yrs untill selling it this winter at a swap meet.
Very enjoyable plane to fly-I had hundreds of flights on mine.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default CGM Chipmunk

ysrcflyer is right on the money.

You definately want to beef up the landing gear mounts to the point of replacing the grooved plywood with hardwood blocks. You also need to beef up the ribs they mount to with some 1/16th inch ply.

I also agree that using two servos for the ailerons is much better then the single servo and bellcrack set up. It's easy to do; just do it like Top Flite does.

Mine is on the way from Korea and I hope to have it flying in January. Wish me luck!

-Bob George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41567_446.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	26018  
Old 12-18-2002, 05:26 AM
Wyo_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default Chipe

TheoA
Think about adding the flap also, plane does not need them but they are fun to play with. Add 1/2" to the rudder on mine and made it a pull-pull system.
Enjoy
Wyo_Flyer
Old 12-21-2002, 03:07 AM
TheoA

Awesome!

I'm going to beef up the landing gear mounting points with some composites and additional support. I'm also thinking of capping the mail span in carbon. I've got a bunch of it laying around, and I'd really be interested in making this lighter and stronger than the kit's plans.

I'm definatly going to add some to the rudder, as well as go pull/pull on that. Adding the flaps will be an option, I'll have to see what I've got left as far as radio gear. One servo per aileron, definatly.

It's too bad this doesn't have foam wings, as I'm MUCH better at painting than mono-koting.

I plan on providing some building pictures along the way.

Thanks for the advice, and if there is anymore, please, keep it coming!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:32 AM
ysrcflyer

Lighten it as much as possible. This was my only complaint with this plane. But hey, maybe thats why it lasted me for 12 years, with all that ply.

I built mine with flaps also, they are very effective.

One word of advice when taking off-make sure the axle centerline is even with the wing leading edge. The tail will come up quick on this and more often than not nose over on takeoff.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:20 PM
TheoA

I read somewhere that the gear sit directly under the CG, and that bending it forward would help GREATLY on taxi/takeoff. Did you bend yours at all? I also have heard the plans don't call for this.

Mine should be here any day to begin
Old 12-22-2002, 01:43 PM
ysrcflyer

TheoA: Yes you must bend gear forward. Don't do this in the plane though-puts too much stress on framework.

My first flight started with about 10 noseovers before lifting off and ended with the wheel pants sticking up thru the wing after the landing gear blocks gave away.

Talk about a very dissapointing first flight!

After redoing the landing gear mounts and covering the next 12 years were a joy!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:04 PM
TheoA

More Questions!

I'm going to power this model with a OS .91FX, should be plenty fast.

Carbon striping caps top and bottom on the spar? How would I re-enforce the stab and rudder? More shear web for the wing in kevlar?

I'm going to use a piece of kevlar and tie in the landing gear mounts to the main spar, that should help there. Flaps should be installed, but after this re-enforcing, flaps, smoke, etc... How heavy is this thing going to turn out? I need to figure out a diet!

Merry X mas everyone!!!
Old 12-25-2002, 06:01 PM
caf2461
My Feedback: (6)

Put a low pitch prop on - 13x5 or 14 x5. You will get unlimited verticle with that combo. Mine has a Webra Speed .80 13X5 prop and my favorite maneuver is point it into the wind, slowing it down to a crawl or stationary by gradually applying up elevator to keep her horizontal just over center of runway. Just when everybody is about to comment on how stable she is just hanging there, punch it into a 1/2 second snap followed by straight up out of sight verticle.

Speed is not what this plane is designed for. If you intend to fly it fast seal all control surfaces or flutter will destroy it. You might want to beef up the rudder a bit also. Struts to brace the verticle to horizontal stab is also a good idea. This plane has plenty of wing area and with the flaps I would not worry about weight if you take it easy on the epoxy except where it counts (wing jount, tail to fuse, firewall and landing gear). This model like all Goldberg models builds light.