Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four-Star 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four-Star 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
bayareajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four-Star 40

OK.. here are some pages that will be other Opinions..

http://www.tompierce.net/rcplanes/si...ext.htm#anchor

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_20...venture/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...%2CStar/tm.htm

Here is what I did for the most part.

1. Complete general construction of Fuselage.
2. Mount Engine - Cover all entrances to protect from Dust
3. Mount spinner back plate with a ply cowl ring made of 1/8 ply w 1/16 x 1/8th spacers from back of Spinner. I got tired of messin with this so I just epoxied them to the Spinner and then broke the spinner free and sanded them off the ply ring
4. Mount the forwrd fuse side pieces made of thick Balsa. 1/4 inch or so. you will have to add the inner cowl pieces at the same time to get it to attach to the ply cowl ring
5. Attach the upper balsa block
6. Attach the Lower Balsa block..
7. until you get the shape you want.

Basically I was building a Great Planes P-51 at the same time.. and just modified what they did on that.. Pics to Follow..
Old 09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
bayareajeff

Pics from Above...
Oh and here is my Mustang!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22100.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	521719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22839.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	521720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37908.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	521721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24919.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	521722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	521723  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
bayareajeff

Hmm Well Im not a very good assembler of info... but I hope that can be of help..
Peace to you!
Jeff
Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like taking out the dihedral is no big deal. I've built a couple 4-stars in the past. They were nice planes but they were built exactly according to the plans. I'm not too worried about any sort of self-correction. I've flown my Sig Somthin Extra, Hanger-9 Twist and my profile Hots for quite a while now so it's no big deal. The other 4-stars are gone and I have a kit sitting in the closet so I thought I'd put it together and have another ncie plane to fly. Did you do any other modifications? I'm also looking at changing the tail, maybe a larger rudder.

For the past couple years I've been flying any place I could find... Construction sites, country roads, you name it. You get tired of pulling sticks out of your covering after a while though so I finally broke down and visited the Fresno Radio Modelers flying field. The big paved runway and covered pit area is a nice change so I'm going to attend their next meeting and join up.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:39 AM
bayareajeff

Cool.. I am a member of East Bay Radio Controllers in Livermore. Its a ways out for me, but its a great place and great people.

That is about all for me as far as mods on this plane. I finished it in 3 weeks or so and that was in January I just wanted to fly and it flew great.. Only a few clicks of Down. I may make the Rudder larger.. It didnt do great at Knife edge.. So we will see..

Jeff
Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Jeff, you da man. Thanks a ton. Well I got some time to kill while I wait for my motor to return, so I guess I'm out of excuses and need to get started.

Thanks again..

Shane
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

The 4-star is a terriffic plane. I've done the 40 and the 60 and converted the 60 to a twin. There are two changes that I made to both of mine. First mount the engine as low as you can on the firewall and still have prop clearance. This gets the carb closer to the fuel tank centerline for easier tuning. You will probably have to trim the cowl cheek for muffler clearance. (presuming you are running a two stroke). Second, add some triangle stock to the landing gear mount. Granted my landings aren't the prettiest but I managed to skim the gear off of both of mine.

Madmen at large...they're everywhere!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Melkus

Looks like I open a can of worms when I ask this question Anyway thanks everone for your input. I ended up with a Tower Hobbies Voyager and I just got the engine for it a SuperTigre GS-40 which I just got about broke in. I should be able by next weekend to take her to the flying field and see how it dose[8D]
Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
bayareajeff

Thats cool Melkus,
I think we all just love to fly and build and talk....
Please let us know how it goes!
Jeff