Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit Cutters

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit Cutters

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
bfd04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit Cutters

i was wondering if anyone has had dealings with Kit Cutters? Are they a reputable company to deal with? I am looking to get my first larger scale kit and would like some input from people that have dealt with these companies before. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Kit Cutters

I just bought a 33% Jungmeister 133 short kit from Arizona Models and the laser cutting is great. I can say they do good work. As for the others? someone will chme in soon.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
rwright142

I inquired about a Ziroli F4U kit and here is their email response:

We have a huge backlog of kit orders since we went from 3 cutters to 1.
We are currently not taking any orders until we complete our backlog which should be by the end of this year.
When we resume taking orders, we will sent you an email to see if you are still interested.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Well alrighty then. Just type in "kit cutters at the bottom of this page in the search box. There are many out there. here is one just for kicks.

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/instock.html
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 AM
rwright142

Cool! I'll check them out too. Can you recommend any?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a short kit from http://www.lazer-works.com/main.html. They did a great job and they provided the wood for me. It did not take too long from the time I submit the order. I will do business with them again.

Hope it helps.

Pedro
Old 09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
rwright142

The have a great price for the Ziroli Corsair. I'll check with them to see what all it has. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Newc

No direct experience with any of them, but have heard nothing but exceptionally positive comments about Precision Cut Kits, owned by Larry Katona.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I highly recommend Precision Cut Kits (see above link--prgonzalez). I have their Vaillancourt 1/4 BirdDog, and the wood is top notch, and the laser cutting is flawless, kit was well packaged. Larry Katona is very approachable and willing to help. Check out the site, e-mail him. They have a huge selection of kits in stock for many of the plans-makers, and the most popular ones are laser cut, some are still hand-cut. I think if you supply them with a complete plans set, they will custom cut it for you. Prices are very reasonable , IMO
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
rwright142

I agree. I have emailed them and I like that the kit has ALL of the wood that I need. I didn't want to shop around for LE and TE pieces, have to whittle them, etc. I know others love to do that, but right now that is not my thing. The price seems reasonable too.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the aeroplane works for years. Nothing but the highest praises for them. The kits are well cut, and packaged correctly. They have the templates to cut the Ziroli lineup. Mace Gill took over from his dad upon his untimely passing. Mace is carrying on the business in the same manner that his Father did.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Bill. The AeroPlaneWorks has an excellent product and excellent service. Mace is a top notch guy to deal with.

Do a search for the company called Kit Cutters. I think you will find less than positive feed back.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 AM
rwright142

Thanks for the input.
Why do you think there is such a price difference? Kit Cutters is $280, PCK is $355, and AeroPlaneWorks is $425? It looks like APW has a little more in their kit so maybe that is the difference for them?

Here are some snippets from their websites:
PCK: " Precision Cut Kits provides all the wood including the sheeting required to build the complete airframe."
Kit Cutters: ""Full Wood Kit" includes all wood necessary to complete the plane including all sheeting/skin."
AeroPlaneWorks: "Kits include ALL wood parts, pre-formed wire and Aluminum Tubes & Sockets"

I will have to inquire more. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCK gives you all the wood. The AeroPlaneWorks adds the wire and wing tubes. Both are great companies.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
rwright142

Thanks. I searched for Kit Cutters as you suggested and am glad I did. They are definitely out of the running.
Thanks TomCrump and StickBuilder for your input on AeroPlaneWorks. I will be contacting them.