Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a GP 60 size J3 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a GP 60 size J3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Building a GP 60 size J3 Cub

I had forgotten about all the extra work you did, Tim. Your landing gear sure looks great, but more importantly, it solves the problem of the weak gear provided by TF.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:28 PM
x-craft
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom, that cub build was my first attempt doing some things like the rib stitches. It was an experimentation platform and I like the way it turned out.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a dummy I mounted my engine sideways. It probably won't look anywhere near ar good as yours!

Gibbs
Old 11-14-2006, 03:44 PM
TomCrump

Is it too late to change it? If you haven't cut the cowl, it should be possible.

Mounting the engine inverted require a remote glow. Otherwise, it's difficult to remove the glow igniter when the motor is running.

I stole the one from my Cub, and installed it on my Mayhem 40. Dumb move on my part.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
NCIS

Tom,

I just ordered the Super Cowling so I don't even have it yet. I think I might turn it inverted. It won't take much time and the way things are going what the hell. How far does the cowling slide back on the fuselage? By the way I ordered the float kit also and it should be here tomorrow. So more fun to deal with.

Gibbs
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
x-craft

Gibbs, the cowl slides over the fuse about 3/4" I believe, if you look at the photo I posted of the hardwood block I added to the bottom corner of the fuse, the cowl comes about even with the back edge of that block. Make sense? I can probably find another pic that might be helpful if you need it. The motor will run richer being inverted but I've found once tuned it, she purrs like a kitten and I've never had to adjust it since then. Just be careful when you start it. I only give it a light prime if anything so it doesn't get hydro locked. With no prime I've had no problem starting at all. Some people will tell you that an inverted 4 stroke has to have on board glow but I've never had a dead stick with this motor. If set up properly you will have no trouble at all.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 PM
NCIS

x-craft,

I'm going to put a remote glow igniter on this plane as I do all of mine. I value my twinkies! If I have any problems with it inverted I will know where to come. I have the same engine on my CG Super Chipmunk inverted but I haven't started it yet.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Moodyman

Id like to say hello to everyone in this group. I have been out of the r/c hobby for 30 years (gave up when I was 13) I have my trainer plane and could not pass up a GP .60 cub at a swap meet that was in the process of being turned into a super cub. The uncovered wing is mostly built and has flaps, the fuse and tail were built and covered with lots of scale details in the cockpit. I didnt care for the covering job so I have removed it and will be covering the whole plane with the stits fabric process up thru silver that I have bought from F & M products. As I am a custom automotive painter I believe I will use those paints I am familiar with. I'll post a few pictures and I am enjoying following along with your builds.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28942.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	560521   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44826.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	560522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68209.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	560523  
Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 AM
x-craft

Gibbs, you will love that chipmunk as well. I have one with an O.S. 91 on it and it's a blast! I fly that plane more than anything, it's easy to transport and deal with and it's a hoot to tear up the sky with. Much more relaxing than my Z stuka or TF Stinson. I'm currently looking for a gasser replacement but I think it's going to be hard to retire the old chippie.

Have you made any progress on your Cub? Are you planning on doing rib stitches etc?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 AM
TomCrump

Looks like you have a nice project, Keith. What are you going to power her with?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
NCIS

Keith,

Nice plane and interior. Where did you get the seats and the rest of the stuff for the cockpit? I was planning on doing a nice cockpit but I sure could use your knowledge.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Moodyman

Tom thank you for the complement. I havent bought an engine yet, what do you recomend to power it as I will also be flying it on floats on occasion. I want to stay with a 4 stroke as I like the sound better than a 2 stroke.

Gibbs, The interior was already built when i bought the model. I cut open a scale door and found the simulated tubing inside is all small diameter wood dowels cut and installed to simulate the cubs structure. The seats are balsa covered with foam rubber painted black. All nicely done....But I intend to cover it all up as the super cub that I am modeling my plane after has upholstery inside that hides all the tubing.

I have a very valuable source for scale details as a freind has a real J-3 cub and is restoring an L-4 and has a super cub that is all dissassembled. he is covering the L-4 now so I can see where all of the pinking tape and rib stiches go.

If anyone needs any pictures of the real plane just let me know as I see it almost everyday and always have my camera with me.

Keith
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
TomCrump

Keith, X-craft and I both have 91 4 strokes in ours. I know that I seldom fly mine at over 1/2 throttle. I'm sure that the 91 would handle floats.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
NCIS

I just got my float kit yesterday. It looks simple enough. I do wish they would have provided plans with it so you didn't possibly goof up. I have a 91 FS also so I hope it will be enough for the floats. The float kit manual says it has power to spare and can do loops etc. Any pictures of your friends Cub would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
NCIS

Well guy's it's starting to come along nicely now. I epoxied the stab and horizontal fin on and started to put the rear formers in place. I'll post pictures of that part tomorrow. I got my Super Cub cowling today and the Magnum 91 4-stroke. I've enclosed some photos of it so far.

Gibbs

Name:	Ay74065.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	561511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48642.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	561512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94427.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	561513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81701.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	561514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91748.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	561515  
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Moodyman

Tom thanks for the engine tip. Just thinking out loud, if you fly at half throttle with a 91...Is it overpowered?
Also a question about weight and balance. Because of the scale interior, mine has the servo mounts moved back behind the rear interior bulkhead with a access hatch on the bottom of the fuse. Should this be a concern with the weight and balance of this plane in your opinion?

Gibbs, your cub is looking great. You have almost caught up to where I am now as I have the super cub cowl and floats also. I glued on the rib caps and have to do final shaping and sanding of the wing before I start the covering process. I am thinking about adding some 1/16 x 1/4 false short ribs between each rib just behind the leading edge as they are pretty prominent on the real cub.
What do you plan on covering your plane with?

Let me know what you would like as far as pictures, I took a bunch of detail shots today of the real J-3 as I was there helping to finish the fabric on the L-4 wing so I can primer it tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 AM
TomCrump

Keith, I don't think weight will be an issue. My Cub weighs 13 pounds

Balance may be another thing, however. My servos are in the stock location, and my Cub balances with no additional weight. I have the battery pack and RX located under the fuel tank.

Sounds like you two are nearly ready to start covering. This weekend???
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 AM
jfarthing

I thought I would add my two cents since I have built the GP 60 Cub and am now in the process of finishing the SIG 60 Cub as an L-4 WWII grasshopper. I built the Cub completely as per the plans and covered it with Coverite fabric. It flies great with a OS 52 4 stroke but as Cubs tend to be it is a little squirrely on the ground. I think that I did not have enough toe-in in my landing gear. I don't like the way GP did their struts as they only have two attachment points on the wing for each strut and they buzz like crazy in the wind even at 1/2 throttle. If you want to add details here is a great link for detailed instructions on things like better dummy engines, etc.

http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/cubmain.html

In my opinion SIG did a MUCH better job with their kit with the better struts, true window above the cabin, opening door and window, aileron servos for each wing (hidden), tail wiring, pull pull rudder, scale tail gear but it is a little bit more of a challenge to build as well.

This being said, I love my GP Cub. I have been flying it for three years now but don't fly it much because I love looking at it hanging in my garage and don't won't to lose it.

John
Old 11-17-2006, 03:04 PM
NCIS

I always cover my planes with Solartex fabric. Then I prime and paint them with Rustoleum rust preventative automotive paint. When I'm done putting any decals or pin-stripping on I clear coat them so the decals and pin-stripping are on permanently. The planes look much more scale like this way. Any pictures would be great. The interior and the flying wires would be helpful. I went ahead and inverted my .91 4-stroke. After seeing the picture of the other Cub with the Super Cub cowling on it it was an easy decision to make. Thanks for the picture. Here are some more of mine.

Gibbs

Name:	Yw67892.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	561979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53159.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	561980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87726.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	561981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20497.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	561982  
Old 11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Moodyman

jfarthing, thanks for the link, lots of great scale tips.
NCIS - I made a mod today on my cub that you may be interested in. I noticed that the "spine" on the real plane runs up to the skylight area above the cabin of the fuselage (See first picture) The model has the spine ending at the rear of the wing. This just didnt look right to me so i took some dowel and beveled one end to sit flush on top of the wing, sanded a groove at the other end so it would sit flush on top of the dowel already there. then took some 1/2 sq balsa and made a "pediestal" for it to sit on. This piece is short enough that it pulls the dowel down so it will have a nice arch to it. I then cut this block in half at the wing/fuselage part line and ca'ed everything together. after dry I then cut the dowel at the part line. I will build a small filler piece at the back of the wing and front of the fuse parting line to give an edge for the fabric to bond to (I'll show this when completed) anyway the whole mod took less than an hour and I feel will really improve the look of the model. Take a look at the pics and see if you can figure out what I am trying to say here.

Tom, not quite ready to cover yet. Still a few more days of sanding....Does that part ever end? lol

Keith

Name:	Ig11862.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	563968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51132.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	563969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55071.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	563970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79476.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	563971  
Old 11-21-2006, 08:01 AM
TomCrump

Keith, I like your scale modification. It's a nice touch.

Are you going to do the scale fillet at the fin?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Moodyman

Tom, thanks for the comment. Which fillet are you refering to? Heres a picture of a real plane.
Keith

Name:	Db84978.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	564311  
Old 11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
TomCrump

Yup, that would be the one.

Seems to me, that the way they do it in the kit doesn't look that nice.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
NCIS

Keith,

I like the modification. As you go further let me see some more pictures. My concern is how to hold the wing down with the covering not being flat on the wing top. Also what are you going to do to keep air from going inside the fuse if you don't fill it with balsa or plywood. Same thing on the rear of wing. Let me know with some pictures. I am going to do it if you can make it work. I'm not in any hurry to finish the fuselage and wing anyway. I still have to build the floats and make the landing gear functional. I'm also going to put the flying wires complete with turn buckles on the tail. I already put in some blocks to hold the wires. Are there wires on the bottom also or just the top? I'm building the cockpit now and it's looking promising. What do you think about making functional doors? I'll have some more pictures soon.

Gibbs
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
NCIS

Keith,

One more question. What is the box behind the cabin for? What did you build it with? Looks interesting!!!

Gibbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.