Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aileron Servo and Covering question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aileron Servo and Covering question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
fstevenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo and Covering question

General question, I am building a great planes ultra sport 40+ and am about to start covering it. My concern is that I will not be able to get the aileron servo wiring through the wing after it is covered. I thought I could probably feed a piano wire through the area and pull the servo wire through. Another idea was to put a string through it and feed it through after covering. The last thought was to install the servo and then cover, but it seems this would interfere with the covering. Any thoughts or past experience with this. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Servo and Covering question

I'm not 100% familiar with this plane but I've built plenty with wing-mounted servos. I usually use some dental floss and a spare wheel coller. I drop the collar and string down through the holes in the ribs then tie onto the servo wire and pull it through. To make this even easer, use rolled up paper to make a guide tube through the rib holes.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Run some dental floss through the wing and tape it to the wood where the servo is going to mount, and tape it close to the hole where it exits at the wing center. After you cover and cut the covering away from the openings you can use the dental floss to pull the servo wires through the wing.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Campgems

The string works well, I've also heard of pulling a string through using a vacuum cleaner wand. With the string, you know where it is going. I also like the paper tubes, they eliminate a lot of hang up with the wire end catching on a rib.

I ran into alieron problems with a Lanier Explorer 40 and I ended up installing a servo in each wing. This was a ARF, so I cout the covering at the servo location and used a piece of thin music wire to fish the servo wire through. It worked fine, so like most problems, there are a number of solutions.

Don
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
ChuckW

I've also tied the floss to a small stick of balsa and tack glued the stick in the servo opening making it easy to retrieve after covering.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The string (Floss) and weight method works well. If you decide to install the string before covering, make sure to leave at least an extra 6" so you have room to tie it to the servo lead.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:29 AM
fstevenj

Thanks for the help. I like the floss idea. Will probably install before covering.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For cases where the wires need to run through structures, I usually build a servo extension into the structure.

Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Newc

The above suggestions for the floss and weighted string are good for when you have already covered the wing and therefore there hadn't been a method planned ahead of time. However, since you are planning ahead of time I suggest a rolled piece of paper the proper length and then inserted through the lightening holes before covering. One end terminates at the aileron pocket and the other runs to the center opening. I have used regular lined paper, craft paper, etc. and after making it into a tube and inserting into the rib's holes I normally put some CyA at each junction of tube and rib.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 PM
WorldTraveler

another thing that can be tried, is to use a vacuum at the wing root and feed a string thru the aileron mount area and allow the vac to suck it thru. Clint[&:]
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, A servo extension built into the wing, one of those things I never thought of, good idea. I always install A paper tube through the ribs and install A string through it before I cover. That is unless I forget the paper tubes then I use the string and weight trick.