Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

i need tip's on cuting mono coate

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

i need tip's on cuting mono coate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 04:31 AM
rich141

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need tip's on cuting mono coate

I'm pretty new at kit building and I sure could us some technical advice cause I'm kind of lost
could any one please give me some tips on covering and making color scam's
Wat surface is best to cut on.and how can i cover a wing say long way's with multi strips' is it best to ad-hear the strip's to gather in a singele sheet and apply in one piece,iron the strip's, layered one above other her over the wing one at a time,would mono coat over mono Cote layerd over base sheet going to give a bad Finnish.
if some one with a little experience could give me some advice i would sure appreciate it.
Rich 141 AKA crash GALveston tx
Old 01-17-2003, 01:48 PM
kirknik

Default covering tip

Its probably bes to iron the strips into one sheet first. Do it on a sheet of glass. The monocote wont stick to glass. Then transfer to the plane. Use lots of razor blades. They dull very quickly on monocote.
You can also do a base color on the plane and then add stripes over top. Try to poke a bunch of pin holes in the base coat so the air has somewhere to go when you aply the strips. Less bubbles.

My Ultimate was done with a base of red and then the stripes and checkers were added one at a time afterwards.

Take you time, it will be ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47960_13459.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	29697  
Old 01-17-2003, 02:20 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

If you haven't purchased the Monokote yet, consider Ultracoat. In my experience with both the Ultracote will not bubble as easily when applied over it's self. It also has a wider heat range making it easier in my opinion to use.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also prefer Ultracote, but if you already have MonoKote, you can use their "Trim Solvent" to apply layers. IMHO this is one big advantage that MK has. Wet the trim piece, slide it in place, squeegee out the bubbles, and let dry. Good stuff!
Old 01-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Al Stein

Also, if you cut on a piece of vinyl (I use a piece of house siding material) you'll get much more use out of a blade.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:39 PM
flap

Trim solvent is a wonderful product to activate the glue when joining colors together as well as being good to remove color stains from iron, covering ect.
One thing though, if youve never covered before, Id recommend keeping it simple and use the experience to take it to another level next time. Covering is not hard, nor is it simple to get perfect, if you go too far the 1st time, you may burn yourself out.
Another tip, Monocote Trim Solvent is very expensive. I have started using acetone, the active ingredient in the product, available at any hardware store for pennies on the $.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:24 PM
BillHarris

Since you are new at covering, keep it simple and don't try to run before you walk and get too fancy.

The best cutting arrangement I've found is a dressmaker's cutting board and a dressmaker's rotary cutter. Available at any fabric/sewing store.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:03 PM
rich141

Originally posted by BillHarris
Since you are new at covering, keep it simple and don't try to run before you walk and get too fancy.

The best cutting arrangement I've found is a dressmaker's cutting board and a dressmaker's rotary cutter. Available at any fabric/sewing store.
thank's for the replay i may just tray that.
rich
Old 01-17-2003, 09:40 PM
PJFaller

The one hint Ive gotten from all my friends is this..I know it might sound crazy but you can go to home depot and get about 100 blades for 10 bucks. My rule of thumb id 2 cuts per blade and it stays nice and sharp. Cut on glass if you can. Put the used blades back in the box and use them for building 100 blades will last forever. Also I agree with the others, Ultracote is the way to go. Not a shiny, but it does not sag as much and its ten times easier to work with.. Good luck.

Pete