Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Global Cutlass .45 Anyone??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Global Cutlass .45 Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 02:30 PM
sharp333
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Cutlass .45 Anyone??

Bougth this kit many moons ago, now it is time to build it. Global has discontinued this kit a few years ago.
Has anyone built this kit ? Any comments, tips, suggestions?
How does it flies?

Sharp333
Old 02-01-2003, 09:59 PM
ramcharger

I built this kit. I got it for $29 when the dealer sold out his inventory. I installed my brand new OS 46FX. The plane weighed slightly over 6 - 1/2 lbs. Ideally it takes a bigger engine. I had to add weight in the rear jet port nacelle. I used the mechanical sliding tray for the aileron servo. It worked well. The landing gear attach to each fin - make sure your fins are connected well to the wing. The kit had a lot of badly warped plywood parts and the dealer sent me some replacements. Ignore all the plywood penetrations - it is designed for the Magnum 53 engine. The plane doesn't track well on take-off. It gets light on the nose and I didn't install rudder. The plane also requires a special fuel tank - saddle type. I put about 20 flights on mine. Many others flew the plane also. I had the nose trimmed beautifully for a black plastic spinner however installing a new engine would have meant re-building the front to get that contour so I took the engine and servo's etc out and gave the plane to some who said they would do that. The guy didn't do that and turned around and sold the plane for over $100. That was 4 yrs ago and I have asked some on RCO (back then) if it would have been ethical to ask him why he sold it when he told me he would modify it and fly it himself. The plane was gorgeous and it flew well but it isn't for
beginners. I have a chance to buy another kit this spring. Good Luck
Old 02-02-2003, 03:51 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had one of these a while back and it was the worst piece of junk model I ever had and I've been building for close to 50 years. It is way overweight with the "plywood" parts. Mine came out very nose heavy too. Maybe if it was set up as a pusher it would balance better. Mine had a .46 and I think weighed about 9 1/2 pounds. Total flight time on the model was about 3/4 second. It was moving very fast down the runway and I eased in some up elevator--it did the tightest figure 9 I've ever seen and was totally destroyed. I saw a kit review in RC Modeler (the "I've never had a bad model to review" magazine) and noted that they did NOT have in flight photos. The kits were not for sale for very long either--another bad sign.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having had a bunch of Global kits I realize that they set new standards for badly designed kits. That said I concur about the Cutlass being grossly overweight. I built 3 of the small ones and they really are designed around the Cox TD09 motor, anything else gave you fits to balance it. My 45 sized cutlass was made of ironwood, I framed it out for a ST46 and realized that it was a stone. Had a person who really wanted it and passed it on to him. He never finished it either.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:35 AM
ramcharger

I thought there would be more success stories on this plane. The kits advertised weight was 6-1/2 to 7 lbs. I guess I'm puzzled at how some got such high weights with foam wings. I do agree the kit had bad quality however my lit-ply parts weren't that heavy. I just think 7 lbs is heavy for a 46 size engine. I remember back in RCO days when I first flew this thing many responders had all kinds of stories on rudder control, retracts, 90 size engines. I wish I had mine back because it was a unique plane to see in the air.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:11 AM
dsanquisd
My Feedback: (9)

Default global cutlass .45

I built one of these about a year ago due to liking the lines and trying something new. I've been building and flying rc for close to 30 years.

Yes the plywood is very heavy for the fins and they are just glued to the foam covered wings with the gear attached. The first flight I had a dead stick and landed in grass almost taking off one of the fins. I used triangle stock attached to both top and bottom of the wings to solve that. Had weight problems also even though I had the Magnum .53 engine installed. The main problem I had and still have is getting the evelons set properly. On take off it wants to lift off too soon and then comes back to the runway and then takes off. I have set the main gear to the plans and also the evelons, but still have the problem. Real problems with the nose gear. Get rid of the two wheels first. Mine keeps coming loose at the top due to the long gear shaft.
Have only had two successful flights on it and it is now hanging in my hanger.

Not an easy plane to fly, but looks great in the air. That is my two cents. Don
Old 02-24-2003, 02:04 PM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

Had the same experience as R8893. Frist take off was a tight 20 foot loop. End of story. Read in some magazine later that the GC shown on the plans was 1 3/4 in to far back. I had one of the frist kits so maybe they corrected it later.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:54 PM
ramcharger

The cg for this model is confusing. The plans show 23 inches behind the rear of the spinner and an addendum was put in most kits saying to start out at 21 inches behind this point and trend back to 23 inches or best aerobatic performance. Mine was actually short of 21 inches so it was relatively nose heavy but didn't fly that bad. I never followed the idea of bending the mains forward about an inch for easier rotation on take-off. Still trying to get another kit.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:51 AM
dsanquisd
My Feedback: (9)

Default global cutlass 45

Ramcharger - you stated you are looking for another kit. If you are interested I'd sell mine. Only three flights and not banged up. Shipping could be a problem. It's covered in grey monokote and has all the decals. I have a Magnum .53 installed. Have snap shots of it.

Let me know if you are interested. [email protected]

Don
Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
ramcharger

I now have my Cutlass 45 back after being gone for 3+ yrs. I got it back from the person I gave it to. He got out of RC after I gave him the plane. Wow, how do you put a new engine and mount in that nose. I need to step back, and not get in a hurry. The OS 46FX wasn't enough. I have a TT Pro 61 which has failed in expectations in 2 planes, and would like to buy an OS 61FX but a little pressed for RC $$$$$. The 61FX has the rear carb as did the 46FX so mounting may not require to much surgery.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:43 PM
ramcharger

After a week of nose surgery, my Cutlass 45 is mechanically ready for flight. The aileron/elevator mixer needed some parts and I still need to see if the CG is 21 inches behind the rear of the spinner. I ended up installing my TT Pro 61. I couldn't justify a OS 61FX for this plane. It may be a one shot deal. The location of the fuel tank may be the reason my OS 46FX lacked power on climbs. I could not find a fuel tank slim enough to slide in the fuselage behind the firewall. I mounted the tank over the front of the wing about 9 or 10 inches behind the engine. I guess that means a pump but not sure I know how to go about that with my TT Pro 61. I plan on flying once the weather (winds) calm down. Plane weighs 7lb - 8oz without fuel.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:56 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Oh great!!!
I just got one of these a couple of weeks ago. I have never seen one fly, and I think I understand why now. So this pig is heavy huh? If you guys had to build it all over again, where do you think you could shed some wieght?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:20 PM
ramcharger

My Cutlass 45 has about a dozen flights on it with a OS 46FX. The listed weight of this kit is 6-1/2 to 7 lbs. and if you go with a powerful 50 size engine you will be in that range. I went over because I'm using a TT Pro 61 which is considerably heavier than the FX plus I now have over 6 oz of BB's in the rear jet exhaust nacelle. When I hear these stories about the kit being heavy I wonder if they have the same kit as I do or what. If I was really serious with this plane I would get a new Magnum 53 XLS or another Webra 50 Speed but I'm not. Another problem is location of the fuel tank. I have thought about hatching the bottom of the fuselage under the cockpit and getting the tank closer to the engine. When others and myself flew the plane back in 99 the big complaint was losing power during climb and that is a sympton of having the tank to far back ( below the engine on a climb). You can reduce the weight some by using a programmable computer radio radio and eliminating the mechanical mixer set-up for the elevator and ailerons. Maybe you can make the 2 fins lighter. Make sure you read the kits addendum letter on throws and cg and watch who you take advice from on this kit!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Jax RC-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I had a new one once. I flew it once and promptly sold it. It had extreme vertical stab flutter that didnt look fixable.