Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate with YS 140 Sport (Build)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate with YS 140 Sport (Build)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM
rideblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Ultimate with YS 140 Sport (Build)

I have started an Ultimate 10-300 and am putting a YS 140 sport with smoke whats the balance going to be and what is the weight going to end up like Has anybody done this before
I have pretty much built the whole thing and covered it all I have taken pictures of the build tho.. now just waiting for the motor which should be here tomorrow and the smoke system is coming from tower tomorrow aswell. I have been working on this plane for about 1 month now and cant wait to fly it I am a little concerned about the weight I have added and did a few things that the plan didnt tell you to do to add a little weight to the rear to adjust for the big motor

Old 02-13-2007, 06:20 AM
surf

Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate with YS 140 Sport (Build)

I would be interested in how the plane flies with the 140 as I plan to build this kit and are considering the YS 110. Keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
rideblue

Hey serf the reason i want to put the 140 is mine is because my friend had one with the ys 120sf in it and it flew great just didnt have the power to pull off the runway and climb vertical for any good anount of time before it stalled it did good tho flew the plane wonderfull more scale like with a little extra power Im just going for the insane approach and My friend said if he builds one again he would go bigger. So it just depends on your flying style . Good luck with your build If you want I will send you pictures of mine. Are you building an arf or kit
Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 PM
alfredbmor

A friend of mine has the YS 120 set up with dual elevator servos mounted at the rear side of the fuse, I believe that the 140 is lighter than the 120 maybe because it is bored from the same engine. Your set up sounds very interesting, and I'm looking forward to hear more from this. I am currently building the same bipe, I have been building it very close to the specifications the main changes that I have done are the dual servos on ailerons, dual servos on elevators, used a 16 oz tank and added a smoke system, I will post new pictures on a thread that I am posting rcently and if you like I can post pictures here.
Good look and have fun.
Alfred.

ORIGINAL: rideblue

I have started an Ultimate 10-300 and am putting a YS 140 sport with smoke whats the balance going to be and what is the weight going to end up like Has anybody done this before
I have pretty much built the whole thing and covered it all I have taken pictures of the build tho.. now just waiting for the motor which should be here tomorrow and the smoke system is coming from tower tomorrow aswell. I have been working on this plane for about 1 month now and cant wait to fly it I am a little concerned about the weight I have added and did a few things that the plan didnt tell you to do to add a little weight to the rear to adjust for the big motor

Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 PM
rideblue

Go ahead alfred post away anyone can post on the site if you want Im interested to see yours as well. I on the other hand didnt put the duel servos in the rear cause im trying to keep some weight down but I balsa covered all my tale section one for strength and two for weight in the rear I think It will balance pretty well plus im putting smoke in Using the pressurized system of YS to pump the smoke so im not needing an electric pump also keeping weight down... Good luck with your build aswell
Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
rideblue

Here Is some pictures of my build this is the tale how It ended up and a few others Hold on I dont think its putting the pictures on yet It said upload complete something else I might have to do ??

ORIGINAL: rideblue

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75512.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	620783   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43042.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	620784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97739.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	620785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63291.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	620786  
Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 PM
surf

Rideblue, not sold on the 110 and would consider the 140. Will also go the double servo in the tail. Was just interested in the 140 as the YS (as you know) are great powerfull engines. Besides, sounds like a good excuse to buy the 140 !!!

I have a CG Sukhoi in the box, so maybe after the Ultimate I could put the 140 on it.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
meaden

I'm building one and I thought hard about the engine. I finally decided to go with a Saito 100 with a perry pump and build it light. It seemed like the best trade off between power and weight. I'm not looking to hover though...

I'm trying to avoid the bigger engine, more weight, higher wing loading problem by building light and maxmizing what I put in it.

My target is 7.5lb but if it's under 8lb I'll be happy. I'm using two servos on the ailerons and a D.E.P.S. system on the elevator to save the weight of 6th servo and a mini servo on the throttle.

Name:	Om34309.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	620890  
Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
rideblue

I hear the saito 100 is sweet I did some research and your motor it is 592.5oz which is 1.3LBS That is quite less compared to the YS 140 33oz and 2.1 LBS. But I Have found where I live upward of 5000 ft elev all You can get WILL FLY BETTER its also one of those things i just want it to rip through the air. And like you Im not to into hovering I just want a plane that will go stright up no circling till you get high enough to do some stupid tumble back to the ground I cant even hover on the simulator yet let alone in my 80 hour building BIPE I would be putting in another 80 when I was done. Also on that YS 110 the way I look at it It might be ligher and make a plane fly better but the 140 will fly anything in the middle to upper class later on in life if you want to change it I THINK the next plane I would love to put one of these in is the Edge 540 67in CG I think that plane would be one big show off...That 110 would work great in it as well But they want to dang much for that plane still for its size..Hers a pict of mine with a little work left but mainly waiting for the motor.. Its colored in Metallic blue, Crome, and Carbon Fiber--(Wing struts,Ailerons,and around the Cockpit

Name:	Cz79655.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	620913   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44861.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	620914  
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many many moons ago i ripped the YS 90 out of mine and popped a Super Tigre 2500 in it, even with a 2800 mah NiCd in the tail it was still bad nose heavy. it flew great, had tons of power and would do any maneuver you asked it to do with ease, the only draw back was it didn't dead stick so great, about a 1-4 glide ratio (1' forward for every 4' of drop).

kc

Name:	Vs55786.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	621023  
Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
meaden

Every ounce counts. If it's not holding the plane together or flying it. It's baggage.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 AM
rideblue

Sweet looking ultimate love the skin cover on It But both of you are right Im just hoping mine will have a good glide ratio I know its not going to be the best but I think it will dead stick to an extent enough to land with out breakage The RCDON website hes running a saito 180 and It flies great from the video and lands pretty nicely and I know he has to be heavier than Im going to be thats the plane Im kinda comparing mine to and making my own judgement on how mine should fly.. That supertiger I could just imagine It had to rip Im hoping for the same effect.. I have changed my mind on the dual servos for the elevator when I get the motor im going to balance and weigh it and see where Im at then I will choose what I want to do and Im going to put a micro servo for the throttle and since im not using digi servo my battery pack is going to be a sanyo 1450 pack mabey a 1200 im not sure which ones I have .. Also I have the nitroplanes 40 ultimate flyies great with a os 46ax but its dead stick is like a rock 0 ft foward and 10 ft of fall That plane just dont glide but flyes very nice under power I hope my CG wont be anything even close to that plane or im going to be mad ...[:@]
Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 AM
KC36330

mine wasn't a horribly dead sticker, you just had to immediately prepare to put it on the deck (or it would do it for you) and it took Lots of elevator to slow the decent, even with a high AOA flare the decent was still pretty aggressive dead sticked but i loved to fly it none the less and 99% of the dead sticks were from having so much fun the 16oz tank was dry

kc
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
rideblue

That doesnt sound so bad then as long as it will to an extent I have only had the one nitroplanes bipe that would not at all It ripped my landing gear off well let me take my shoes off so I can count [&:] But all in all I did not dead stick my landing gear is made out of a few pounds of epoxy now a days but it still flies.. Im hoping that that 140 is not very thursty everyones says its a pretty good motor on fuel considering its size Im hoping its like my 40s Cause 30 heli fuel is pretty spendy I have the ys 53 in a senorita and it like to drink a lot so im scared but let me tell you you have never seen a trainer airplane fly like this one its a beast will hang on the prop with 4 clicks of the throttle and takes off with 2. But that sig senorita flies on a .25 but mines scratch built and the wing is lenghtend an extra rib on each side and has flaps for cross country flying..
Old 02-15-2007, 11:01 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

I built one and powered it with a Saito 1.25. Since we fly at around 3500 feet, it didn't have the vertical I was looking for, so I have just finished pulling out the Saito and put in a ST3250. That ought to do it . Also, originally used a dural lg that was less than "dural", so I put on a cf gear which was a major improvement. Just remember that this plane uses up a lot of energy when landing, so keep the speed up when coming in. Lee
Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
rideblue

The motor is here finally came a little late cause of the USPS but its finally mine I also got my some system I was going to buy the slimline showtime cause of all the great I hear about It but ...BUT... after all I research all the people who put smoke on these big motors they all seem to have pretty good luck with them So I just went cheap mainly for the valve and thats about it I bought the Mac"s Smoke system for 28$ out of tower And Am going to try using the pressure system of the Ys to pump the smoke to the muffler Im not going to pre heat it untill I see How It works but all in all Rcdon uses the same set up it looks like but all hes doing is preheating and using muffler pressure and it works great so I think I will do the same if the pressure system idea dosent work plus Its a lighter Idea not having to add a pump I took some pictures and will post them when I get em off my camera. I also used a 16 oz tank for the bipe If ys is right I should get just under 10 min of flying time 1.5 oz a min Hope my maths right [&:]also right now with out the bottom wing on it balances almost perfect a few mm back from CG specs which when the top wing goes on it should come pretty close which I am Very happy about. Who knows how bad this motor is going to shake my plane should I use rubber mounts to mount it?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 PM
rideblue

Kc did you change your landing gear? I keep hearing about everyone changing to fiberglass or carbon gear but when you change it over your really going to have to modify a major block in there to be able to screw it down again. The stock block is only like 1in wide and i have some good fiber and alum landing gears but they are wide where the meet the fuse.. so i would have to make the landing gear block 2+ inches so it would be nice and tight and it dosent lap under the bottom wing .. But Im thinking todays the day to hear my motor Im going 80miles one way to our LHS to get some fuel and smoke I wish the road trip was already over[&o]
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM
KC36330

it's a fiberglass gear (and heavy) but back when this one was built (about 9 or 10 yrs ago) carbon wasn't as available as it is these days, i really don't recall adding anything in there but it is a possibility, I'm headed over to my shop this afternoon and if my mind doesn't slip me I'll look. i retired the airframe but it's still stored there.

kc
Old 02-17-2007, 02:07 PM
meaden

I used the 1/8 aluminum gear from TnT (http://www.tntlandinggear.com) it fit the 1" landing gear block and is thinner and narrower than the aluminum gear from the ARF. Cutting a new plywood gear block also let me fit it better and make a solid joint to the fuselage. I'm not sure of the weight but I'm sure it's more solid than the wire gear in the kit and it's cheaper than carbon. So I'll take the weight hit here.

Name:	Ki19723.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	623499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78429.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	623500  
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
KC36330

i checked it today, it's a 2 5/8" piece of 1/4" ply for the gear, it's cut to match the front edge of the wing. i don't recall adding it and if i did i cut the fuselage sides so the ply sets flush with the wing as well, it was some 12 or so yrs ago that i built it so i don't recall if i changed that then or later on.

kc
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
rideblue

Well I think I found some gear I stole it off an extra 300 its alum. and its right at an inch wide and about 6.3/4 long from the fuse to the axle which the stock is 7in so it looks like it will work perfect and its thick to im not sure how thick tho but it has very little bend when weight is applied. Also Im having problem finding anyone who knows if the pressure system will pump my smoke oil and the fuel at the same time I have read of a few ppl doing this but no one will help me out on how they did it but they said it works awsome.. The bad part about it is I have 2 fuel dots and 2 easy fillers cause when ever you have to release the pressure so you dont get soaked but i think i only need one dot for the pressure release i put 2 for just incase.. and just the other day I started that bad dog 140 the sweet think I primed it and said what the heck i wonder if it will flip start and wall laa she fired right up with no effort and never been started before being brand new im swinging a 18x6 classic series prop it scares me makes me wonder if that motor is going to pull my firewall out its and ungodly amount of power for that plane

Name:	Rp42698.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	627443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54091.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	627444  
Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
KC36330

the pressure works great on the smoke BUT you need to run it with two separate check valves because this prevents the likelihood that you'll contaminate your fuel with your smoke oil. with the pressure applied to the smoke tank you only need a regulation valve between the smoke tank (clunk line) and the muff that you can open/close via a separate channel on the TX.

kc
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
rideblue

Thank you KC I do have 2 check valves I bought the mac's system cause I didnt think that I need anything really crazy to do so mainly the valve but it did come with a check valve so I do have both of them so thanks for the advise what size engine did you do this on or have you just heard of this being done also if you have done this could you build me a little digram of how you did it to compare mine to thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM
KC36330

did it on a 90 and it worked pretty good, not quite up to par with a gasser as far as smoke density but fair. i'll see about a diagram with MSPaint in a bit.

kc
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
KC36330

a quick and dirty

your smoke control valve will go between the fill valve and the muff.

kc

Name:	Ec89362.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	627646  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.