Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building from scratch - need help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building from scratch - need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:45 AM
kouger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building from scratch - need help

I need help.
I am attempting to build my first plane from scratch. Actually an electric thermal glider. I have the airfoil that I want to use - RG15 - and have done research on how to cut the foam wings. I built and tested the foam cutter – works great. Will use balsa to sheet the wing.
I am going to make the wing 110” from tip to tip.
My problem is the body. I am not sure what length to make the body. I also would like to make the body out of fiberglass but again not sure how to do this. Balsa and plywood is always an option for the body but ideally I would like to make it out of fiberglass.
If you have any ideas on what length/thickness the body should be, or how to make it, please e-mail me at:
[email protected]

I would appreciate any information that one has to offer.
Thank you
Old 02-08-2003, 02:13 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ONE way to make a fiberglass fuselage is to carve it from foam, first. Get it exactly as you want it, then fiberglass it.(Epoxy, not polyester). Once the glass is cured/sanded,or otherwise acceptable, pour a little [aggressive hydrocarbon solvent] into the fuse. It will dissolve the foam, leaving the epoxyglass shell.

Use apropriate caution with the dissolved foam and solvent. I was told once that Napalm is styrene dissolved in gasoline. No ignition source, proper ventilation, discard of in a legal and eco-friendly manner. Some have used gasoline for a solvent. If I were doing it right now I think I would try spray brake parts cleaner. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and above all, get a tattoo for your forehead that says "It is NOT Jim's Fault".
Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Al Stein

pour a little [aggressive hydrocarbon solvent] into the fuse... Some have used gasoline for a solvent. If I were doing it right now I think I would try spray brake parts cleaner...
Acetone and sometimes MEK are available pretty inexpensively at places like Lowes or Home Depot... if it were me, I'd go with these ketones instead of hydrocarbons because they dissolve the styrene better than gasoline and, with their lighter molecular structure, their fumes disperse better than gasoline or the xylene in brake cleaners, so they're less likely to pool around your feet waiting for an ignition source.

Note -- that doesn't mean they're safe, just a little less unsafe: Acetone has a flash point below water's freezing point, so you do need to deal with fume hazards, including fire.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:36 PM
JimCasey

Now he needs a tattoo that says:"Or Al's Either!"
Old 02-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Tippie

Sounds like you guys like to stand in a bathtub of water while you have the monocote iron plugged in too. Reminds me of one time I tried to sell a chemical plant (corn oil extraction) an explosive gas leak detection system for the area they had hexane. They said not needed as everything was explosion proof. A month later the building was vaporized, luckily it happened on a saturday. Went back again and they said they still didn't need any protection system because what happened was an "accident". DUH
Old 02-09-2003, 04:35 PM
JimCasey

I just don't want anybody to blow himself up, and have his widow crying that I told him to do it.

Small world department: I used to sell flammable gas monitors, too.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:40 PM
kouger-RCU

Thanks for the concern guys, but don't worry. I am actually aware of all that was said and will use precausion. I actually glassed the fuse with one coat and now I am thinking about leaving the foam inside. Seems to make it quite strong and will save on the whole mess of taking out the foam.
Thanks for the information.
Kouger