Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
mikemedic2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

It's ok oldtyme to come out of the closet. You should feel better now. We all understand. NO one will look at you any different.[X(]
Teookie the build is looking great I am still watching. The wing construction so far looks simpler than the p-51. I find that very incouraging. Of course I said so far.
mike
Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have built a few of these Cessna's. Keep selling them though
Use a 91FS. Plane flies great with it. Remember the smaller the engine the faster it's gotta turn to fly the plane and i think anything smaller then a 91FS will just not sound good in the air. The 91FS with a 14X6 will keep it in the air nicely at about 1/3rd throttle.
I THINK a 13X6 3 blade would work fine also as your not running full throttle anyway,But i never tried it.
Robarts front strut works good but it is a little weak at the two forks the wheel mounts to. So land on the mains only.
The last one i built had all the lights but i think they were a waist of money as during the day you really can see them.
The cockpit kit is kinda flimsy and a pain but with some work looks decent and if you tint your windows it all looks rather sweet.
When landing and you hit the flap switch be ready as it will balloon. If you have a comp radio add a little down elevator to the flaps till you get it just right and the ballooning goes away.
The corrugations are a small pain but put them on as they really add the the Cessna look.
The tail cone always gave me a problem so i found it easier to just use a small block and "sand to shape"
The Cowl/wheel pants are also a pain but with work look rather good also.
When taking off just get up enough speed and use a nice shallow climb out. No flaps needed and it looks sooooo sweet.
Pat
Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
nzak

I talked to a guy at the local flying field that had the rcv 91. He said he could never get it to run right and ended up trading it for a different engine. He has probably 30 years of r/c flying experience, so that was enough to make me change my mind when I was looking at that engine. Just wanted to share that story, I have absolutely no experience with that engine brand at all, nor have I ever seen one outside of the video. I think I am stuck on the BME for now but that could change before it comes time for an engine purchase.

Nick
Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
teookie

BankYank, thanks for the comments. Any time you have advice for this model please pipe up! You said the lights were not bright enough, what kind of lights did you use? I'm thinking of using super bright led's. They should be fun to set up even if they don't work well during the day.

nzak, your comments about the RCV 91 are the first negative comments I've heard so far! I believe that it is overall a reliable engine and I think I will be very good for this model. If I had the money now, I'd be placing my order... I think my mind is made up. :-)

I had a look at the cockpit kit instructions and I've changed my mind about getting it. I really hate gluing together tiny plastic bits, and I really don't like the sound of painting and trying to make it look right. On the other hand, if someone wants to build and paint it for me...

Now, an update:

I've got the wing glued together, it is pretty big!

This is my biggest mess-up to date. I ended up with a gap between the center section and left wing panel. I think this is because I got the rib angles incorrect on W3 or W4. Other than this, the wing looks good, so hopefully this is the kind of problem that can be fixed with epoxy filler!

I've got a few more pics of the wing with it outside and with better lighting that I'll post later. As far as the wing sheeting goes, I'm currently working on edge gluing the sheets together.

Until next time...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
mikemedic2

Thats a small mistake tookie.
On my 51 build I have glued the crutch and the fuse formers in wrong so the engine thrust is to the left not right,[>:] I am currently trying to fix that!!!!![:@]
Your wing looks good keep up the good work.
mike
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
teookie

mikemedic2, thanks for the reassurance.

instead of fixing your formers, why don't you re-engineer your engine to run clockwise?

Just kidding.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
mikemedic2

Hey that could work or maybe just put the prop on backwards!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 PM
oldtyme

teookie,

Besides being fellow Oregonians......I just noticed that you use ceiling tiles to build on. I just got some and wanted to know how you liked them. Also, are you going to build a hatch or something for fuel tank access once the bird is done. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen if you can't get into the fuel compartment in case of leaks.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
BankYank

I cant remember much else really. Last one i built was a couple years ago. I did use the Ram super bright lights though.
I'm just going to save the money and simulate the lights on this one http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5258644/tm.htm
There was a build thread on the old Torkroll web sight but i believe it's gone now. Bummer to as i would like to have that thread on my HD.
From what i have read the RCV91 spins a pretty good size prop. On the real plane there's really is no difference between the two blade or 3 blade prop. 3 blade had a slightly faster climb and the 2 blade had a slightly faster top speed and all came down to owner preference.
I have looked at about a bazillion pic's(i know i counted) and there are slight differences in the planes. Some have a large drop on the Horner tips and others have a small drop and yet others have a standard looking wing tip.
On the nose cone some are pointed and some are blunt. Some have no wheel pants and some have them on the mains and not on the front wheel others have all three. The differences go on and on!
I think no matter how you finish yours you can find a pic of a real one that has the same features.
Pat
Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
teookie

Andy,

Yessirry Oregonians! The questions is are you a beaver or a duck? This is my first time building with ceiling tiles and it seems to be working very well. I was concerned that it would not hold the pins well due the surface texture, but it has been working so far. I'm -satisfied- for now with the flatness, but it is not 100% perfect. I think a piece of glass or granite would be the only truly flat surface, but then you cant use pins!

The fuel tank access is something I'm going to look into since I've had a tank leak before - not fun. Since I've decided to not use a cockpit kit, I do have more room to work with.

Later!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
BankYank

Actually on the interior kit the floor can just sit in it and is easy to remove for maintenance. Just don't glue it and use 4 small screw's to hold it down. Lest thats what i did.
Pat
Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
teookie

Well, I decided I needed a change of pace after spending so much time on the wing, so I’ve started on the fuse. I also am probably going to modify the wing trailing edge where it contacts the fuse as has been done by others to make it look more scale, and I think this will be easier to plan/do before I sheet the wing.

So far, the fuse is going together very nicely. I have not had a single problem. This kit seems to be made up of high quality parts and the instructions are well written.

I do have the servo tray positioned incorrectly in these photos. Don't worry, I caught and fixed my error!!

I’m going to need to place another order to tower to get my servos, and some fuel proof paint before I carry on much further. I’m going with Hitech HS-322HD’s because the price is right. I’m going to be using “Y†cables for the flaps and ailerons because I only have a 6 channel radio. Am I going to have problems synching the servos? Should I get digitals? Any input appreciated!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 AM
oldtyme

teookie.............what do you mean....alter the trailing edge of the wing? I did not pick up on that........please elaborate on this bit of info.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
nzak

Andy, I think he means where the trailing edge comes together with the fuselage. The Top Flite kit has a straight edge where the real Cessna the wing is rounded into the fuselage where they meet. Not positive, but I think this is what he means, I plan on doing the same thing when I get to that stage.

Nick
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
teookie

Yup, thats what I mean about the trailing edge. It only needs to be modified where the wing meets the fuse.

Take a look at this (the prettiest 182 I've found so far and the one I will likely copy the color scheme from):
[link]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1178417/M/[/link]

and compare it to the TF version:
[link]http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0300-6b.jpg[/link]

This gentlemen really got it right on his TF model:
[link]http://home.san.rr.com/aircor/Site/Pg3.html[/link]
Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM
nzak

Teookie, I agree completely, he got his Cessna done right! I have spent several hours drooling over the work he has done to his 182. Quite an accomplishment.

I like the Cessna you are going to copy the scheme from, nice looking colors. That picture really shows the rivets on the top of the wing, looks like I will have my hands full with the details.

Your making some serious progress on your build, I need to get off my ***** and get to work on mine. Too many distractions lately. I am thinking of documenting my build as well, since I have been taking pictures from the start. I will definitely start my own thread for it though no hijacking here!

Thanks for keeping me interested in my build, think i will at least sheet the tail fin and rudder tonight.

Nick
Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
teookie

I’ve made some headway since my last post:

Got the landing gear plate glued in.

Got all the stringers glued in. One of them broke because the wood had a knot in it. I was able to still use it after gluing back together due to it’s location.

Eventually I got all the sheeting done. Man, what a pain. I broke one piece of 3/32 balsa trying to bend it because it was such a hard piece of wood. I had to spend $2 at the craft store to get a replacement. My wife filled in a lot of my mess-ups with balsa filler and now it looks pretty slick!

Another shot. I bought a bag of wooden cloths pins at wal-mart for $0.96 and they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to sheeting the fuse!

And another.

It’s surprising how light and strong this assembly is. It really surprised me the first time I picked it up.

Another shot.

Well, that’s all I got for now! I can’t believe how fast this is going. I honestly only spend 5 – 10 hrs a week working on it. Hey, it's way better than watching TV!!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
nzak

Teeokie!!
Damn its looking good. I got one I will box up and ship to you, when you get done with yours feel free to work on mine

I have too many ideas for mine, need to just start building and worry with the details later.

Nick
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
teookie

yup, just start building!

If you forget to incorporate any of your ideas, thats OK. You can always use them on you 'next' plane!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 AM
gauravag

Nice thread.
I just bought the same kit, and will be starting to build this weekend.
Will share my experiences here too.
-Gaurav
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
tgaulden

Great thread guys. My Cessna kit arrived Monday and I will begin building this weekend. I will post pictures during the build also.

Tim
Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 PM
teookie

Wow, is it just me or did this kit suddenly become very popular!? I should hold off for a bit so everyone else can catch up and then we can all work together.

I will have another update tomorrow or Saturday, I have lots more pictures including a mock-up of the wing installed on the fuse!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:51 AM
gauravag

Well yes the plane is very popular. Ill post my build pictures here. though wont be as fast as you are !
Will be nice to see everyone building and finishing this.
I plan to use an OS .91FX to power, and will try to make it as scale as possible.
Got RAM Nav lights, strobe and landing lights and also the Robart nose gear strut.
Will keep posted.
-Gaurav
Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM
oldtyme

Speaking of not very fast.......I got mine in 1995 and I'm still working on it. Of course I didn't work on anything for a few years between now and then but I've got the horizontal, elevator done and the fuse is approx 70% complete. Just don't have the time but I'm workin' on it.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
shawnskx100

Very nice! Pretty much all I have left to do one mine is finish sheeting the back half of the fuse, glass, and install my engine(Going with a Saito 100 twin) Been working on her for about 6-7 months now, waiting on some parts here and there(fiberglass specialties cowl and tail cone, enigne). Not too bad for a 15 year old! I have a full interior too that I'm working on at the moment, and a custom luggage door for all the electrical and glow/fuel) Here's some pic's.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.