Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Global Tecate bipe.... anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Global Tecate bipe.... anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Tecate bipe.... anyone?

I have the 'deluxe' kit going to the build board as my next project. Looks to be a nice little kit. All hardware, spinner, and fuel tank are included. Any recomendations?
thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 07:25 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Default TECATE BIPLANE

THE TECATE WILL BE A GREAT FLYING PLANE. JUST BE SURE TO MAKE IT AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE. THEY TEND TO BE A LITTLE HEAVY. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Cabane

Got that right. I sidelined this project after framing up most of the fuse. It's in the attic. There is a ton of wood... no pun intended. It's definitely a old school as far as construction design.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:39 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, just got one on Monday. Nice little bipe. TT Pro 46 and JR gear. Now, can anyone tell me where the CG is on this thing? It has a ton of nose weight and still feels tail heavy to me. Thanks.
Brian
Old 07-31-2003, 02:24 AM
Cabane

Super. I would like to know your all up weight and your impressions with the TT.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 AM
bdtsr

Cabane, do you happen to know where the cg should be?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:37 AM
Cabane

I would have to drag the carcass/project out of the attic to find out the recommended balance point. Do a search for biplane cg and I bet you'll be over-whelmed with math.

2 fingers and gut feel works good too.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 PM
coop02
My Feedback: (4)

Default Tecate Bipe

I built one for a friend last fall. Strong little sucker, but HEAVY. I think it came out 7.5 pounds. I covered it with Solartex, love that covering. It has a .40 size engine, but hasn't flown yet. Owner is going to try to stuff a .70 4 stroke in I think; not much room up there. I'll attach a picture.

One thread on here about them said it flies like "a bag of snakes". Not very encouraging, but sure is a nice looking plane.

Coop

PS, I remember now, it did take a huge chunk of lead in the nose to make it balance. That certainly added to the heavy weight, but couldn't do without it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98337_9293.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	34148  
Old 08-02-2003, 01:15 AM
bdtsr

I have no plans to reference...but, from memory I believe it is about 1 inch ahead of that semi-circle cut-out section of the top wing.

Sorry I cannot be more precise.

-Mike

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:53:12 -0400

I am in need of the cg location for a Tecate Bipe (.40size). Any help
would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian Tindall
[email protected]

This is what I got back from Global Hobby. At least it was something to go by.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Cabane

Default lard

Coop02 nice job. 7.5 for a .40 plane = lead sled. Bipe drag to boot. Mine is still in the attic...
Old 08-02-2003, 03:56 AM
lenough

Had one about 6 years ago with a TT .46. Extremely heavy. Balanced it per the instructions went to take the first flight.

The TT .46 was not enough and the plane was still way tail heavy.
It went in.

It was a nice looking plane but way to heavy.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:04 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked the plans in my kit. The CG range is 4 7/8" - 5 7/8" behind the leading edge of the top wing at the center section. With everyone talking about the weight of the finished model, this thing sounds like a prime candidate for an Irvine .53 or maybe even a .60. Hmm, I still have a couple of YS .60 short strokes sitting in the drawer. I bet they would make the Tecate perform!

John
Old 08-17-2003, 03:16 AM
bdtsr

Well.... flew the Tecate Bipe and the covering came off the horizontal tail surface on one side (scared the crap out of me!). Added more lead to the front, finished taking the covering of the torn area and flew. The TT .46 is fine for this plane (no 3Ding with it though). I wouldn't try to fly with anything less. Installing a .61 would be better but would ruin the cowl. The TT .46 will stay in for now. Weight was 7.4 pounds. Would be much better if it were a pound lighter. All in all, not a bad plane.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Wrbirkett
My Feedback: (1)

I just finished a Tecate and flew it last last week. I have an OS 46 FX in it, but did not have to use nose weight to balance. I did some cut outs on the tail surfaces and with the battery stuck forward as much as possible, a heavy hub got the CG pretty close. The plane flies well, and is very responsive. You do need to keep the power on for a smooth landing, but it doesn't have any nasty stall problems.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:08 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Did any of you folks do anything to strengthen the upper wing center section? Reading the instructions and looking over the plans, it looks like there isn't much structure there aside from the large pine block used to mount the cabanes. Glassing doesn't look like it would offer much since the underside of the wing is cut open. I was thinking about adding some spar joiners, but they too would be a little iffy due to the angle the spars meet in the center.

John
Old 08-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Wrbirkett
My Feedback: (1)

I didn't make any changes in the upper wing, but did lightly glass both wings. I have not noticed any weakness there. The plane does excellent snap rolls. I suspect the wing struts give good support. I did put two aileron servos in the lower wing, and did strengthen that wing with the supports. Maybe that has helped support the upper wing, too?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:07 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I planned on glassing the bottom wing for sure, but the upper wing has little sheeting on the bottom and no spar joiners so you basically end up with a butt joined wing with top sheeting only. I think you are right that the lower wing provides a great amount of strength to the upper.

John
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
sacto88

Default RE: Global Tecate bipe.... anyone?

Just bought a Global Quality Tecate Biplane kit from a garage sale with only one little problem, there is no full size roll plans, only the instruction manual. I would like to stay in touch with you and maybe you can share your full size plans with me when you're finishing with them or if possible, could I pay you for a photo copy. Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
corrigan

Default RE: Global Tecate bipe.... anyone?

I picked up a set of rolled plans for a Tecate, but no manual or templates for the struts or anything. Been doing some research online and found a post by someone at Global that said he ended up putting the CG about 1/2 " ahead of the center cutout on the upper wing.

Corrigan