Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Senior

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Senior

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
stuplydude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Senior

I just started to build a Sig Kadet Senior. My question is what is the best way to put aerilons on the wing? I remember in a magazine article that it should be app. 12% of the wing chord, which puts the thickness of the rib at about 1-3/4". Should I put a split dowel on the aerilon and hinge it in the center, or bevel the edge and hinge it at the top, similair to a flap type arrangement? I also plan to reduce the dihederal to almost 0 degrees,maybe a little bit so the wingtips don't droop.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Sig Senior

I'd keep just a little dihedral. When you build the wing halves and join them, prop up one about an inch and a quarter at the tip end. You will also have to adjust the angle of the root ribs so they attach flush to each other.

As far as ailerons go, there's a couple of ways to go about it. You can make strip ailerons the full span, and make them about 1-1/2 inches deep, or you can make the "barn doors" like the Senior ARF has (see if you can locate an ARF Senior and note how the ailerons are done). Best way is the barn doors, IMO, easiest is the strips. If you do strip ailerons you can bury the servo in the wing center and use just one with a linkage to drive both ailerons. If you make the barn doors, I'd use two servos, out about 2/3 span. Top hinging is my preference, but center hinging is easier to mount hinges. The inside (hinge side) of the aileron can have a slight "v" shape in the middle. If top hinging, the hinge side should slope (bevel) away from the hinge point enough to give about an inch or so of down travel (measured from the trailing edge of the aileron)

It's also preferable to set the ailerons up for differential, meaning that each one will have greater "up" travel than "down" travel; this lessens the tendency for adverse yaw, which is the plane turning slightly opposite of the aileron input. Of course, coordinated rudder input also lessens or prevents adverse yaw.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
iron eagel

Regardless of you choice of barn door or strip ailerons I would use two servos. The ailerons will be large and you will load up the servos a lot less. I have read that with barn door type of ailerons which are 40% of 1/2span and 25% of cord are best for aerobatics.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
stuplydude

I have decided to go with a strip style aerilon. I cut the ribs to fit 1" tri-stock, wich I'll round off . Then I'll measure and place a 1/4" trailing edge on the wing. I have a bunch of robart hinges,so I will use those. Also I will plan on putting a servo in each wing,so I should be okay. This has still turned out to be a whole new project in it self.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Pa-18cub150

I am also getting ready to start a Sig Kadet as a first kit, and like you I will be adding ailerons. I have flown the ARF with the barn door type and a kit built with the strip type.

The ARF has a lot of aileron flutter I wished I knew whether it was play in the control linkage or a design flaw.

It belongs to a buddy of mine and I am afraid if I show too much interest I might end up owning it.

The strip type Kadet seamed to eat up a lot of altitude when you tried to rowel it completely over.

I wish I knew if these are tendencies typical of the aileron types on the kadet, or limited to these two Kadets
Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
jvkrahn

I flew my Kadet Senior for the first time today. It flies pretty good, but this kit did not design this plane to have ailerons. Is it to late to add ailerons? If not can someone explain the process? Will the ailerons work with the dihedrel this plane has?