Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building versus flying

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building versus flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
bucco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building versus flying

Being relatively new to this forum, I would like to propose a question. I started building from kits about 3 years ago as sort of therapy after a heart attack and have built an avistar 40, a slow poke kit not arf, a super skybolt biplane, and am currently working on a sr telemaster. My circumstances do not allow me much time to actually fly but I use a GP realflight sim a lot. I find that I really enjoy the building as much if not more than the flying. Any one else have an opinion?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default HI BUCCO

I'm in sorta the same boat except, mine was a car wreck 4 years ago. Had built and flown some 22 years prior but used my love for RC as an excuse to build planes. I needed therapy for my hands, anyhow and the doc's thought it was a great idea.I've built an extra 300s (GP) 40 size cub, 4* 60, Midwest trainer, and am in the middle of a proctor antic bipe. The big diff. came along in the form of a friend I found on this site named Dave Agar. He lives just a few miles from us and happened's to be a moderator here. He is also a great flying instructor and made it a personal goal to GET ME OUT TO THE FIELD! I did get realflight and practiced , but I can't tell you how great it felt to actually fly my planes.I thought being a good builder would be enough as I'm a semi-quad,wheelchair bound with very limited use of my hands. Now I'm very excited for the weather to back-off enough for us to get back out and fly. I guess it's a push now, I still love to build but look forward to flying as much. Here's a pic of myself, Dave and my cub at the field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56945_4849.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	35663  
Old 02-20-2003, 10:30 PM
bucco

You have got to love a Cub. My first flying experience was in a home made Ironica (probably misspelled) champ 1949. The guy that owned it had two and charged $2.00 per hour to give lessons. You had to buzz the cow pasture to move the the cows to land. I really had some great times in that old plane. Thanks for your reply.
Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 10:47 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

There is probably many on here that build more than fly.

In the last year or so I have gotten back to the hobby Myself, I am raising My youngest Son (3) and I work from home now, So I build more than fly. I flew RC from the early 70's to 97, But taking to the field with the little guy is a problem waiting to happen.

We go watch and He likes that, but I keep him with Me at all times. When He gets a little older we both will be flying, But right now its too hard to keep him in one place.

Enjoy the hobby is the main suggestion I have, its well worth it.
Dan Z
Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well I have been in this hobby since '54 and started as a young kid, and yes you have to love the cubs. My Mom and step-Dad for my 10th B'day paid for a ride in one, man was I ever hooked by that!!!! I am also disabled and it's painful for me to walk any distance so flying is a luxury for me but still go. I took last year off to try and get the low back fixed and now I am ready to fly this year and what happens??? I get rear ended on the 10th of this month, 2 years of rehab down the tube!!! I don't know how much stick time I will get in now this year. Now back to the main question, I love building, period!!!!! I like flying, just not as much. I am quite happy spending the day in my shop gluing and sanding and watching all that wood turn into the plane on the box.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

I'd have to say I love building as much as flying. Although, I don't shake as much when I build. Flying is an incredible rush. Both aspects of building and flying are awesome (I've never been able to come up with a good enough word).
Old 02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Jaguar-RCU

Boy, I feel so much better now-I'm not alone....neither young and intense, or older and retired, I find that so many times I'd like to be at the field but I can't as someone of something needs my attention.(wouldn't trade my family for all the gold in Kentuchy though) But the basement workshop is all mine! I do feel guilty for not flying enough-kinda letting my planes down.....wallflowers at the dance.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:10 PM
TerrellFlyer

At times I will enjoy building more than flying,other times I will rather be flying,I enjoy both.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:23 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you builders put your planes in the hands of flyers? Let them live on the wing not the wall.

There a quite a few builder/flyer partnerships in my club. It seems to work out well.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:39 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

I build more than fly. Got into a partnership with a friend who has more $ than time, so he spreung the bucks for a short kit B-17 at 123" and 40 lbs. I did the building. Got her finished and ready to fly, now we only need some nice weather. It is a great idea, to partner. Here's another. Look up the Slow Survivable Combat rules, then go the www.spadtothebone.com and find the Hell On Rails. I build these for and sell them to clubbies for cost to promote wild combat that does not need $$$ or lots of skill. Many folks would love to combat with a $25 airplane. The SSC rules level the playing field and make it really fun. I don't mind the work if it generates lots of high heart rates at the field.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it hard to get to the field. I used to work all night to test fly a plane in the morning. Now I find I still build, just can't fly as much. I enjoy it just as much, but fly full scale for a living and am gone a lot. I have a ton of new planes to test. It is nice to get them out and fly them. Take a new plane to the field ever weekend in the spring. You gotta love this hobby.