Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG SOPHISTICATED LADY....building improvement tips???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG SOPHISTICATED LADY....building improvement tips???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 07:26 AM
oracle_9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG SOPHISTICATED LADY....building improvement tips???

Hello,
I have a CG Gentle Lady, and I would also like to purchase the Sophisticated Lady. I like its design or how it looks. I want to use this to compete in the local small 2m tournament.

I made some research on the internet and I here some structural faults concerning SL (sophisticated Lady). I am basically still a beginner moving to intermediate level of flying. So, I don't have enough experience or knowledge to make improvements on the design and I would like to get help, as well as other people with the same problem.

1a) The main problem people have with the SL is the tail being weak and easy to break on hard landings.
Q: What can I do to make the tail strong????

1b) I cant remember what the tail was exactly, but if making it a tail ribs a symmetrical rib (no flat sides)....would this make it a little better?? as in more aerodynamic and more stable? as well I increase the thickness of the tail in one location making it reinforce the tail section???

2) The main wing is like the Gentle Lady's wing but reinforced. The leading edge of the wing does not have an angle and therefore it does not penetrate through the air well.
Q: Is it possible to slightly change the airfoil of the main wing to have better wind penetration or make it better than before, when using the ORIGINAL supplies that came with the kit????
or what do I need??
-If someone show me or email me a design of the modified SL airfoil would be great (I would make a web-page and post the link for it)

3) Any other problems or suggestions to improve this plane would be appreciated.

NOTE:
I am asking this is because I like how this plane is and I here many people complaining about (not everyone). And most of the people have years of experience in building and flying. Lets put that knowledge and all share ideas to improve this sailplane in order it can soar with the best of them.

Also, I will be making a web-page for this Carl Goldberg Sophisticated Lady and showing the improvements so all can have this info to view.

Thank you for any help.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learnt to fly with the Sophiostcated Lady on an old HobbyLobby transmitter. From what I understood about it, the builder followed all directions as printed. The airplane was great!!
I wouldn't worry about a hard landing, Can a glider even have a hard landing? hehe Only issues that I had was the control rod that went to the top of the 't' tail, it was braided wire and seemed to un-wind while changing out the quick link. The first one I had was a complete wing, the secod one that I built, years ago, had a wing that seperated on both side for easier transportation..

Good Luck..
Old 03-03-2003, 09:48 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was flying on the glider circut I used the gentle lady for years. Switched to a SL after a while. What a mistake. I hated that plane.

Don't try to change the tail as you suggested. Would make a mess. The weak part of the T tail is right on the fuse in front of the rudder. I use 1 inch carbon and glue it to the wood to streangthen areas like that. Makes it so it doesn't throw the tail. Don't screw with changing the sweep of the wing. It was designed that way for a reason. If you want one with sweep, get a different kit.

The gentle lady is a better plane by far. If you are looking for more performance, look to a higher performance bird. The SL doesn't fly in the wind as good as the Gentle lady either. I gave mine away and built a couple more Gentle ladys. Still have 4 in the shop. I fly them on the slope as well as on the winch and high start. Get a good enough wind on the slope and you can go up inverted with it. Best two meter plane out there as far as I am concerned. Never placed less than third with it.