Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

EJ, your mock-up is a great idea. I had a hard time stuffing standard servos in to the Great Planes wing. I can't imagine trying to do it with an even thinner airfoil. I ended up with some low profile digital servos that work great and just fit between the hatch and the covering.
Thanks Jaybird. It was a few days of fiddling instead of building, but I just didn't want to keep designing and redesigning, building and rebuilding the rib bay on the actual wing to accommodate a servo that would fit. I used the GP manual as a reference in fabricating the hatches for my Sig 'Bolt, and the servos in the pics in the GP manual look as if they are standard size. Then again, I can only make out that the servo in the pic has a Futaba label on it, but I can't make out a model number.

I see in your post #830 that you're using Spektrum 5030 servos for your ailerons. This is comforting intel in that now I have some actual flight performance feedback. Now I can utilize the Hitec HS-5245MG servos with confidence.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

A couple of pics of Hale Wallace's patriotically painted Skybolt are in order...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96250.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	1630918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20087.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1630919  
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Jaybird

I have found the Spektrum digital servos to fit and work great with the GP kit. These are the first digital ones I've tried and I find them very satifactory as far as positioning, speed and performance.

Great pictures too. I noticed that the in-flight one, although the same aircraft, has a single bubble canopy while the ground shot shows two separate partial windscreens. Perhaps the canopies were upgraded between photo shoots?

Jaybird

Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
EJWash1

Hale Wallace's full-size Steen Skybolt is featured in the Sig build manual. Wallace finished her in 1979 and went on to win several EAA craftsmanship awards. Sig even offered prints and decals to emulate N1HW. As can be seen, its a pretty busy paint scheme.
As to the open canopy/single canopy, from what I've read, there may have in fact been more than one N1HW (http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepSkybolt180.html). The reference is to a 1971 article published in Sport Flying. As I mentioned, my plans and manual for the Sig kit was printed in 1975. Regarding the two pictures I posted, the 'Bolt on the ground pic was taken in March, 2005, in Italy, and the airborne shot was taken in July, 2008, in Croatia(http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...rliners.net%2F).
A Steen Skybolt N1HW (which lists a construction date of 1979) made it's way over to Europe and is up for sale in Slovenia for 55,000 Euros (http://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=14229). This one sports a single canopy.
Looks like we have a Skybolt mystery on our hands...

Name:	Nl29574.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1631139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14014.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	1631140  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Jaybird

COOL!

Jaybird
Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
drube

Hi guys, I posted a thread in the scale forum asking if there were any scale planes with a Dr Pepper color scheme. I guess there's none..lol I'm looking to cover my Super Skybolt with a DP theme and am looking for idea's. What color monokote would match the DP color Maroon or Burgandy? Also on the DP logo there appears to be a orangish kind of stripe thingy..lol What color would match it? I've seen many Pepsi themes but no DP. Just looking for something different.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
EJWash1

I haven't seen the Dr. sponsoring any aircraft, but a Google searched turned-up a few race cars (not just NASCAR...). You might want to consider reviewing the cars that you find and put your artistic imagination to work.

As far as covering, if you stick with Monokote, combinations using maroon and dark red, maybe their pearl colors as accents. Also try going to the Dr. Pepper website and see if that sparks any ideas. I take it that you have some of their logos?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
drube

Thanks EJ, I don't have any of the supplies yet but I have plenty of pics of the logos I would like to use. I think i'm leaning on using the Pepsi theme as a guide but use the DP colors. I've found lots of DP logo decals and have been talking to Avaiojet about some graphics. So maroon and dark red with pearl accents? That sounds good.
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to see that one when complete. Don't forget to have a DP before flying, (and a shot of insulin once back on the ground!)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
drube

lol will do!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 PM
EJWash1

I sent-off an e-mail to Steen Aero labs about N1HW. Its been more than a week without response. It just dawned on me that they may be busy prepping for the upcoming EAA Air Venture this month (July 25 - 31). If I don't hear anything by mid-August, I'll ping them again.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Jaybird

Two more succesful flights late last evening before the sun went down. She sure is fast and I get many compliments on how it flies and how it looks. I had my first landing mishap a couple weeks ago at the Brunswick Area Modelers field where the grass was a bit taller and thicker than I thought. The wheel pants caught and tipped it up onto the nose and over on it's back. Luckily the ground was soft from an earlier rain storm so no damage.

Happy flying everyone.

Jaybird
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Cougar429

Quite a few "Firsts" today with mine. Along with the Harvards I & II the 'Bolt came along to a large scale event today. After the midday show I got up enough nerve to take it up.

Firsts were:

a) Flying at this field.
b) Flying in front of a crowd of several hundred, (including that most intimidating of audiences, much more experienced scale pilots).
c) Flying off pavement.
d) Working with that high a wind, most of it 70-90 degrees off runway heading.

On top of that I had changed the bungee O-rings in the gear this week, so ground handling took some getting used to, especially on landing. Luckily my pilot was up to the task and you could see him smile through the windshield after taxiing back in.

The only detraction was the fact the 'Bolt was one of the smallest craft there.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
EJWash1

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

The only detraction was the fact the 'Bolt was one of the smallest craft there.
Time to build a bigger 'Bolt...

Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Cougar429

I'd love to, but as it is the 'Bolt JUST fits in the trunk. Another layer of paint and it wouldn't work. You should have seen the exersize fitting the 3 planes and flight gear in a Taurus yesterday.

Still looking for a minivan, but cannot believe what they want for one with Sto & Go.

On the subject of a bigger machine, I do have the supercharged YS91 and a Saito 150 waiting for something to pull.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Jaybird

Thread has been quiet for a while...I assume everybody is out flying!

We had a Family Picnic Fun-Fly at the KVMA club in Sidney a couple of Sunday's ago and had a great turn out of both modelers and friends and family. There were gliders, small electrics, big electrics, glow, gas, scale, you name it, it was there. We had some demonstration flights from a couple of top helicopter pilots and a club member with a 42% Extra 260 (I think) that was great fun. I made it a "biplane" day with my Midwest Super Stearman, Cermark 1/4 scale Pitts S2B and of course my Super Skybolt. I also had my E-Flite electric P-38 twin that was a crowd pleaser. I must have gotten in a dozen flights over the course of the day.

A highlight in the morning and afternoon was a full size demonstration by a local pilot and his Christen Eagle. Lot's of fun and great food too!

Here is a short video of the Christen Eagle demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBbSD-29_c

I'm away this weekend but hope get more flying in later in the month.

Jaybird
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Cougar429

Pulled another rally Sunday at a new site and the 'Bolt was first out on the field of all the entries. As usual it performed flawlessly. Can't say the same of the Harvard II as it dead sticked a few minutes into its first flight. Tuned it up and put in a few more flights with each before packing up.

Here's the pair on the flight line.

Name:	Tr51242.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	1647178  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Jaybird

Very nice set of planes and good looking facility from the shot of the pit area. Is there a paved or grass runway or both? Looks like it was a great flying day.

Jaybird
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has been a bit quiet on this forum, have not posted myself as been to busy to build for 4 weeks but started again last week.

Got the top wing framed out and sheeted this week, felt like a constant battle to keep the wing straight and true but in the end came out ok and fits well. Still alot of the top wing to do to finish but the hard parts are done.

Only mod on the top wing was to add four wood blocks behind the trailing edge for the robart hinges that I will be using and the longer ailerons I will be fititng.

The weather and the flying fields you both have are out of this world by the way, in scotland it feels like we missed summeragain.

Name:	Hf99905.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1647762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22010.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1647763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80066.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1647764  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Cougar429

Jaybird, this site was a large grass square set into a predominantly flat agricultural area, so there were no trees within flying distance. The problem is the proliferation of windmills encroaching our county, (including several VERY close) to the point this is the last scheduled event at this field this season and a major reason I entered. Next year they are moving to a new location and will likely not hold the event till one year after that to get the field in good condition. That is, unless more of the darned things crop up too close again.

Our normal flying site is a private airstrip. So far the windmills are all around, but have been kept at bay to a distance of at least a kilometer.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
raydar

Another rainy day so got a few hours in, top wing almost complete now. A picture of progress and of the extended aileron with robart hinges. Feel like I have reached the half way point on this build which is a good feeling.

Name:	Tr49951.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1648011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24528.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1648012  
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Cougar429

Raydar, what's your thinking on increasing the aileron size?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
raydar

With a bit aileron differential slightly tighter rolls with less barrel roll, not intending to 3d.

Edit

Had to rush out to work so did not fully explain my intentions/expectations of this model this morning.

Im making the bigger ailerons because I have read a few people have found the roll rate to be a bit slow and since it is such a simple mod to make I though why not, I dont expect this to be a sharp acrobatic plane like the more modern designs and at a estimated 10 pounds plus and with relitively small control surface areas I have no intentions of trying to turn this classic into something it is not. I hope I dont ruin a classic plane by making these mods and dont intend on making any mods that will ruin what I think is a very attractive plane.

The plane would have been getting robart hinges even if he ailerons where standard size as I have found CA hinges dont cope well with the vibs/power of a gas plane.

Will poss fit the fuel tank on the COG since I can with a gasser and will move the elevator servos to the rear if the plane requires it rather than adding lead. The engine weighs a similar weight and is a similar size to a 120 fs though and I have read these planes end up tail heavy so we will see.

The great thing about building kits is you can modify things to try improve a design but I wont be going to far from the plans with this one.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 AM
EJWash1

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

Thread has been quiet for a while...I assume everybody is out flying!
I've been flying my pattern ship (Patricia) early mornings. Too hot to spend much time in the shop.

Glad to see that you Northeasterners are enjoying the flying season!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Cougar429

Raydar, it's true building allows for any number of mods. Infact I'm a full fledged, card carrying "Tweaker".

As for the ailerons I would have though having them on both wings would give adequate roll authority. Mine, with them currently only on the bottom wing really requires rudder added to honk around. The problem is the resultant yaw can make things a bit ugly.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

With 4 ailerons and a bit of speed the rolls are pretty tight and straight on high rates. It's when the skybolt is going slow that the ailerons are much less effective and your larger ailerons may help a lot then. Definitely a good mod to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.