Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hostetler's Red Lion

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hostetler's Red Lion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Dhenry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostetler's Red Lion

I'm doing some research right now on a project down the road. How are Wendell Hostetlers Plans? This might be my 3rd build if you folks think I could handle it. Built an LT -40, will be building a SSE this winter and then maybe jump to this plane. I want to keep building up my building experience and am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance Don
Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hostetler's Red Lion

This, from the ViP's Directory of Giant Scale Plans, Volume No. 1, page 61:

"Degree of Difficulty:
The Red Lion makes an excellent scale subject and should make a good flying subject, keeping in mind the markings will require some skill and care. Not for the rank beginner. Fairly conventional construction but lots of it. We ranks Hostetler's Wedell-Williams Racer as a '4' on our scale of 5."

Not a good subject as a third airplane. Hostetler's plans are for experienced builders. They are nothing like building an LT-40 or an SSE. I believe if you purchase the plans and review them you will see with your own eyes what I mean. Then put them aside until you feel you are ready to tackle them, maybe several kits and a few plans builds down the road, imho.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Dhenry

Thanks PT thanks for pulling that up for me. Someday...
Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
jman12
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that Hostetler plans are easy to follow once you build a couple of planes and have had some time to go at it slow. You may want to start with a Cessna and then work yourself to to the Red Lion.