Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale Fleet, Concept Models

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/4 Scale Fleet, Concept Models

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 Scale Fleet, Concept Models

[8D]Has anyone built and flown the Concept Models 1/4 scale Fleet biplane?
This kit has gotten my attention, but I am not familiar with Concept Models
and their kits.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Scale Fleet, Concept Models

Unless you have lots of building experiance,I would not recommend. I have had two of them . I used a 3.25 saito radial ,and they were nice slow ,scale flying planes ,but that's about it. there are a lot better scale bipes out there than the fleet. #one the Waco ,# 2 the stearman,and I don't mean the ARF's that are on the market. check out some of the build forums here on RCU, such as Vintage /Antique rc do a lot of research. and good luck.

Jacque Waco Brotherhood @27
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
jjscott

I'll offer a somewhat contra opinion on the Fleet, but it is missing the important element of having built and flown one!

I just bought one of the kits and haven't started it. It looks good in the box - sort of like a Sig kit or any other quality 1970s kit. Parts are all machine cut and the job looks fine to me. It will build up pretty much like a Sig Cub with lots of parts but no real difficulty. There is a lot of wood in the box for the money. If you've only built an ARF you would probably struggle pretty much to get through it. But for us old guys more than 1/2 the fun is in the building.

Here's what I think are the good parts: It has a semisymetrical airfoil and very good nose and tail moments; ailerons on lower wing only. I think it's going to fly just great and that it will be aerobatic enough to satisfy me. I scratch built a Platt 1/4 Jungmeister years ago. I'm certain it was a better aerobatic plane than the Fleet could ever be, but it demanded constant attention during the entire flight - from getting it off the ground to getting it back on. I'm not that great a pilot - the Fleet will be a better match for my skills.

Plans show a Quadra; I'll use a G-38.

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html

Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Jacque

On my plans it had 1/2 of one wing panel to build all four wing panels. Be careful it is very confusing. It will do aerobatics just like a 1930's plane did. You had better have plenty of altitude when you first try.

Jacque......... Waco Brotherhood #27
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
JCOKEEFE

ORIGINAL: jjscott

I'll offer a somewhat contra opinion on the Fleet, but it is missing the important element of having built and flown one!

I just bought one of the kits and haven't started it. It looks good in the box - sort of like a Sig kit or any other quality 1970s kit. Parts are all machine cut and the job looks fine to me. It will build up pretty much like a Sig Cub with lots of parts but no real difficulty. There is a lot of wood in the box for the money. If you've only built an ARF you would probably struggle pretty much to get through it. But for us old guys more than 1/2 the fun is in the building.

Here's what I think are the good parts: It has a semisymetrical airfoil and very good nose and tail moments; ailerons on lower wing only. I think it's going to fly just great and that it will be aerobatic enough to satisfy me. I scratch built a Platt 1/4 Jungmeister years ago. I'm certain it was a better aerobatic plane than the Fleet could ever be, but it demanded constant attention during the entire flight - from getting it off the ground to getting it back on. I'm not that great a pilot - the Fleet will be a better match for my skills.

Plans show a Quadra; I'll use a G-38.

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html

Jim
[8D]What do you all think about installing a Saito 1.80FS in this aircraft??
Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Jacque

I'm not sure if that would be enough power. you certainly would have to add lead to the front,so why not use a gasser?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
jjscott

I agree, especially about the weight. The saito weighs about 1.95# and the G-38 is 4.4#, more than double. The plane is designed for a gas engine and is going to balance (best, less hassle) if that's what you use. Don't know about the power difference. The Saito is supposed to turn a 16x8 at 9600. The G-38 manual says 18x10 at 7300. G-26 is 16x8 at 8700. All up weight on the Fleet is 18-22 pounds. If you already have the Saito, may want to use what you've got. A search of other postings on big biplanes (Lazy Ace, Giant Aeromaster, etc) may help with what the Saito will pull.

Looked at my plans. They show the upper wing center section and one panel; lower wing shows one panel. Some rub the plans with banana oil so the plan shows through the back. Don't ask me where to get banana oil. I have a box of carbon paper. I put it carbon side up under the plan, then trace the outlines with a pencil. Flip it and it's reversed on the other side. Not sure where to get carbon paper, either.

Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Jim Messer

The 1/4 scale Fleet was designed by Romey Bukholt back in the late 70's, and it shows a Quadra 35 engine because that was the only gas engine on the market at the time. I saw lots of Fleets fly - marginally on the Q35. My brothers Fleet with a Q35 hardly flew - not enough power. A 45 or 50 cc gas engine would be a better choice in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 PM
jjscott

Jim:

What are your thoughts about the power difference between a Qadra 35 and a Zenoah G38? Will the G38 be marginal?

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
cap10b

All,
I'm from the Dallas area and flew a Concept Fleet with an A&M Sachs 2.6 (the good motor with polished case and dolmar crank) A friend of mine J.W. Jones also flew a Concept fleet with a Zenoah G-38. He won first place at one of the bigger static shows up north and I won second place civilian scale at Temple Texas (Woo Woo !) Needless to say I love that old fleet.

Somebody wrote earlier that Romey built the plane for a Quadra and he is right its built for a heavy motor up front. Use flying wires, I got my second place finish not on my building skills (because my plane was sort of homely) but on my flying skills, and I used double golden cable for the upright main wing cable and broke two of the lesser inverted cables. Flying wires are a must if you plan on doing hard aerobatics.

Someone also wrote you need some altitude under you if you do anything aerobatic boy he aint kidding, stall something and you better have 50 feet below you before you get straightened out. On a single set of frieze ailerons you need to input all you got and wait and pray you time it right before you hit the ground

On landings you drive the geriatric crowd crazy. They love that old plane and if they see it they flock to your pit.

I rebuilt mine from a crash and it’s not for the faint of heart. If you have never built a big Sig kit or a Top Flite warbird kit. Maybe you should pass this on to a pro builder.

Good Luck

JDS

Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
JCOKEEFE

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

[8D]Has anyone built and flown the Concept Models 1/4 scale Fleet biplane?
This kit has gotten my attention, but I am not familiar with Concept Models
and their kits.
Thanks for the input.
Thanks guys for your input. You've answered my questions.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 PM
eacol

Hi guys
I have had a 1/4 scale Fleet from concept models for several years now with a G38 swinging a 20by 8 prop---flys great---enough power for scale flying and limited airobatics.
Eacol
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 AM
jjscott

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. Jim
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM
tchant
My Feedback: (86)

both of those engines are extremeely over the top for scale power, the problem that arrizes is yes you can throttle back but the extra weight costs on scale performence