Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate with a K&B .65 Sportster

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate with a K&B .65 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate with a K&B .65 Sportster

If that photo doesn't inspire us to build one of these, nothing will! I had envisioned that color combination in my head. It looks better than I thought it would. I had trouble seeing mine in flight because it was black. I had to add neon red to it to keep it from finding the ground. It eventually did when I had a radio failure. That's the best example of the Ultimate I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12041.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	777920  
Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 AM
youngun

ORIGINAL: Vulturetec

Do you happen to remember about what it turned out weighing? Was it a kit from the time that Carl Goldberg owned the company?

I am now concerned about mine coming out heavy due to the heavy wood Lanier supplied in the kit.
No, I never weighed it. The kit was an original CG one with the plastic cowl and wheel pants - I built it exactly to the plans so it was pretty close to "stock".

Here it is: (sorry for the lousy scan)
WOW! That's a beauty!

I was planning on using the Great Planes Ultimate 160 color scheme - as it is red, white and blue. But now .................... I don't know.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43882.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	777965  
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
youngun

A little follow-up on the wing situation;

Re-cutting the trailing edges wasn't that hard - it just took a little measuring and cutting with a razor saw. Then cleaning the new slots out with the old #11 Exacto blade. No biggy at all. It was more of a mental strain than anything required in actually doing it.

Also - mine MAY have been an exception. But since this is the only one I've got to work with - all I can report is what is here in this one.

Backing up a bit here;
The first box of replacement parts arrived from Great Planes. The quality of the wood they sent is far better than what is in my kit. Which is what prompted me to say that the kit may have been an exception and not the rule.

The laser cutting is better than most die cutting was in kits. (this is my first laser cut kit)
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM
youngun

I have had to take some time off from the kit.

Some health issues have kept me in bed.

I'll get back to it soon
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Jason 3-Danhakl
My Feedback: (10)

Youngun,
I just noticed your thread about the K+B .65 sportster on the CG Ultimate. This made me laugh and bring back some great memories. Back in 1999 my best flying buddy at the time build a Goldberg Ultimate. We were both broke kids mowing grass. If someone would crash something and throw it away we were on it!! Lots of times we would fix them and use the airframe as trading material. Anyway my friend traded a rebuild and recovered Great Planes Fun-One for a NIB K+B .65. I helped him build the Ulitimate and he did it exactly to the plan. Servos, Engine etc.etc. We took it out to test fly it and got the ridicule (Oh that isn't enough engine blah blahhh blahh) At that time guys were putting ST.90's or OS 120 Surpass engines in the airplane. After the first flight on the .65 powered Ultimate that shut them up. It flew very well on that engine. Great fuel mileage and it taught him so much about flying it was unreal. Another huge factor was the engine didn't shake the plane apart like the four strokes at the time. We flew the crap out of that airplane and never really had any common issues the other "proper powered" Ultimates had. I wish I could recall the prop we were using. I think it was a 12x6 APC or maybe even a 13x4. You get the idea it flew well and was a joy to take out. Less work and more flying was the answer he gave to guys that brought up the engine size.
I have a kit that I bought back in 05. I haven't really done anything with it. I hope that it isn't missing to many parts. The original Golrberg kits were not that great on wood quality. That pink center core lite-ply was not so great. Once you got it all build they did the job and that design is very attractive. Good luck on you build and let us know how the project comes along.
Jason
Old 10-12-2007, 09:21 AM
youngun

Jason 3-Danhakl ,

Thank you very much for your post and report on the K&B .65 powered Ultimate.
I knew there had to be somebody out there that had done this before.

About the build;

I have the bottom wing to the point in the construction of just having flipped it over to begin work on the underside.
I'm still not working very long on it at a time - just a few minutes at a time. But my thinking is anything done is that much more toward a finished airplane.

more later
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
youngun

Due to some health problems - This "build" is going to the 'back burner' until further notice.

The kit is still at the stage it was in the last post.

I want to thank all of you for your interest and participation in this. Your comments helped.

A Merry Christmas to you all - and Wishing you a Better and Happier New Year.

Later .......