Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Is it as hard as it looks?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Is it as hard as it looks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Tpilot48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it as hard as it looks?

I have never built a kit but I am seriously considering building a kit.
I have started a Gillows model Cessna 150 but I was not that serious about it so I never finished it.
Is it realy as hard to build a kit as it looks?
I was thinking of building a 40-60 size model.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
ecmiller

Default RE: Is it as hard as it looks?

If you can follow instructions and be patient, it's not hard.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
r2champion

If you have basic building supplies, sanding block, x-acto knife,various glues, etc and can follow directions, sure most are easy to build. However, it moslty depends on the kit you are deciding on building, manufacturer moslty, but most well known brands will be straight forward. I definately recommend building atleast one of you are going to continue to fly (hopefully you will). You learn the internals and design of the plane, plus it adds a bit of exitement to flying the plane you have built. I say do it, you will enjoy it.

One word of caution, take your time and don't be in a hurry to rush through the steps.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the other fellows. Take you time and understand the instructions for each step before actually glueing. It is an enjoyable process. I think you will find building a good 40 - 60 size plane more enjoyable and easier to handle than the Guillows kit.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Compared to a Great Planes kit Guillows little kits are a PITA i think although if you stick with them i have seen some nice ones.
I would recommend a Top Flite Contender or maybe a Great Planes Super Sportster. With out knowing anything more. They have excellent instructions and if you fallow them the plane will fly fine. Also about all you need is a flat building surface,Exacto knife,Covering,Covering Iron,Wheels,Wheel collars,Engine and your chosen Glue's.. Thats about all i can think off with only a 1/2 cup of coffee this morning
Pat
Old 11-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a plane that builds straight and true, and one that won't tax your beginning abilities, try the Sig 4-Star 60. This is an honest airplane, and the instructions are written very clearly, and it won't eat your budget to finish it. It flys great, and you can even bash the kit a little, so that It doesn't look like everything else at the field. It is distributed by Great Planes.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the first question is what, if any RC aircraft you have flown. I agree that the 4-star is a great 1st kit. If you've never built anything and want to build your trainer, the Sig Kadet LT-40 is a good build. Even if you already have a trainer, it's still a good 1st build.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed with the last 2 statements. LT-40 or 4*60. Either will fly great with a .60 engine.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 AM
JohnAgnew2978

Total agreement. I'm a builder, and all the kits I buy have excellent instructions, with lots of pictures. If you're willing to follow instructions and do it step-by-step, you really can't fail to produce a very nice plane. The instructions recommend the adhesives to use and list simple tools that you must have (can't get away from that). Have fun.
John Agnew
Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everything said above about the Sig kits--LT-40 and 4 Star. Also, the advice about taking your time is the one big thing. One of the best builders I know says whenever he does anything, he sits and looks at it for an hour first. That may be extreme, but there's a lesson there.

Guillows kits are very hard to build well--the Sig kits are designed for beginners, and the instructions are excellent.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Bratpak

I am building my first kit right now, a Sig 4 Star 40.
As the others have said, very well written instructions and a good beginner build kit.
Like everyone said, take your time and follow the instructions. I am having a blast building this

Mark
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
kdc

All the advice so far seems good. However joining a club is a good idea because club members will give advice if asked. Show them your work in progress and ask for opinions. Ask several people because every club has some know-all who dosn't really know as much as he thinks he does!

( you can easily recognise some of the most experienced builders, they are the ones with grey hair)
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
HeliTB

TPilot6...I have emabarked on my first kit build and find it both rewarding and fun. You must have great patience. Some of the gluing has to cure overnight or for couple of hours. The gluing is the time consuming part. Finally, sanding is an art that can be learned, becuase there is a lot of it.

The SIG kits were recommended to me because are laser cut. This equates to minimal sanding for fitting. By all means read the instructions first and then read them again before tackling any part of the build. Once something is cut, glued or epoxied there is no going back.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

The two hardest parts of building a kit for me are the start and finish.

Starting is a lot of prep work and well as mental anguish (ie "what am i getting myself in to!?!?). But once the prep work is done and the first sticks are laid, it's like butter baby!

Finishing can also be a pain given all the little detail work like linkages, balancing, bubbles in the covering, running in the motor and then re-checking the structural integrity of your build and throw some mechanical retracts into that - SHEW! Check and re-check and re-check and re-check and re-check again!

But all in all it is quite rewarding to turn a pile of wood into a machine of flight.

Get to it!!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The boxes had recommended ages on them at one time, such as, for ages 10 and up.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kdc

All the advice so far seems good. However joining a club is a good idea because club members will give advice if asked. Show them your work in progress and ask for opinions. Ask several people because every club has some know-all who dosn't really know as much as he thinks he does!

( you can easily recognise some of the most experienced builders, they are the ones with grey hair)
We don't ALL have grey hair yet...
I'm still pepper with a little salt....
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
micagreenmachin

I should add... Those Guillows kits are a pain to build. I'm actually planning to build a couple to improve my building skills some, they take some real patience to come out right. I've seen some great examples completed by the "pure greyhairs" though....
Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 PM
WCPOCKLJR

Biulding a lane from a kit brings a great sense of gradificaion when its done and as its been stated taking your time and reading instructions carefuly is all you really need, mistakes can be fixed and skill level increases with each passing step in the building process. The first kit i built was a midwest aerostar 40 trainer, the second wich is 90% completed is a top flight cessna skylane. If you finish your first lane and enjoyed the expiernce I think you'll find yourself wanting to build bigger and more complex. Best wishes on your building expierence!

William
Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jagnweiner

I think the first question is what, if any RC aircraft you have flown. I agree that the 4-star is a great 1st kit. If you've never built anything and want to build your trainer, the Sig Kadet LT-40 is a good build. Even if you already have a trainer, it's still a good 1st build.

----------

If an individual wanting to learn how to fly has normal reflexes, vision and intelligence, there is absolutely no reason to saddle them down with a box kite trainer sporting a flat bottomed wing.

The Four-Star-Forty, or whatever size, makes an excellent primary trainer. What is difficult to find is a good instructor that will teach the new pilot all that they need to know, besides giving the student pilot stick time.

My favorite "trainer" (for instructing student student pilots) is an Ugly Stick or a Big Stick. Just keep the engine selection within the manufacturer's specific parameters (no .90 size engines on a .60 size Stick) and it will be just fine. Trimming models properly for flight instruction that are equipped with symmetrical airfoils is nearly a lost art, these days. They will fly plenty slow enough and they will handle the wind much better than a Kadet anything.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-22-2007, 03:25 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

LT-40 kits are an easy enjoyable build to cut your teeth on. Some kits definitely build easier than others. I'm on my seventh build and I learn something new on each build.

It's a whole other half to this great hobby.

somegeek
Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I have seen several LT-40 planes fly and I have to admit that they are quite nimble for having a flat bottomed airfoil. I guess this proves that there are exceptions to every rule. The old Sterling Fledgling was another model with a flat bottomed wing that possessed amazing agility.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Tpilot48

I soloed with a Nexstar and have 2 Sky Raider Mach II's and I am now looking for something with more performance (like a 40 sized 3D plane or very aerobatical). So I am thinking about building a Great Planes Ultra Sport 40 Plus. Would this be a good first kit. Does it fly good and is it 3D or very aerobatical.

Thanks A Lot,
Tpilot48 (used to be Tpilot6)
Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
kbear

It's a pattern plane. I haven't built one yet, so I can't speak to it's flight performance, but it will do aerobatics very well. I don't think it's a 3D plane though.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Ultra Sport is a pattern ship. It's designed to fly clean and neutral. It's no 3D plane--not even in the same ballpark.

3D planes have huge control surfaces and are generally built with thick airfoils and fly slower.

The Ultra Sport (pattern) planes have smaller control surfaces and sleek airfoils designed to penetrate well and with minimal drag.

Is it a good first kit? Sure. Just pay attention to the instructions and the plans as you build. I always like to read over in instruction book about 3 times while I am looking at the plans. Tape your plans out on the building board and get the book. Read the book step by step and reference the plans with each step. This will familiarize you with the entire plane and how the original designer intended for it to be built.

Some of the most important things to building a straight model:
Flat building table. I like long tables no more than 30" wide so I can reach all the way across. 4' long, 6' long or 8' long -- as big as you can get.

A good sanding block. Get a piece of 3/4" MFB countertop and cut it down to a block about 4" wide and exactly 11" long. Thats the perfect size for wrapping a piece of 11" sand paper around. Just hold it on with your hand and fold the excess over the top. It's simple and it works. A sanding block 4" long does nothing but create warps and ripples in your model. LOOOOOONG sanding block are better for large areas like wing sheeting or fuselage sides.

Razor saw.

Exacto blades.

Good lighting.

Do a search in this forum or the Beginners forum. There was a good thread about tools needed for the beginner builder.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He is speaking of the Ultra Sport 40 PLUS which is an updated version of the original. It will do some mild 3-D, but not much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.