Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to equip a Bridi Dirty Birdy 2+2 and Big Kaos???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to equip a Bridi Dirty Birdy 2+2 and Big Kaos???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to equip a Bridi Dirty Birdy 2+2 and Big Kaos???

I've never flown or even seen either of these planes. I'm likely going to build one them this winter. The Bridi website shows no info other than wingspan, length, and weight. My question is that given such a skinny fuselage, what kind of fuel tank and receiver packs will fit these beasties. I like sub c packs usually, with as much fuel as I can carry......

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How to equip a Bridi Dirty Birdy 2+2 and Big Kaos???

What sizes of planes do you have, The Kaos came in several different sizes and people have been selling blue prints for them sense the 70s. I have the Bridi Killer Kaos with the 62 inch wing from way back when and there is gobs of room for gear and fuel. Sub-C?? I use one on A giant Bipe I have just because it was so tail heavy I needed all the weight I could get up front. Other then ballast why A sub-C?? Just wondering.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Bigshark

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bigchaos.html

The big chaos (not kaos aparently) is listed as 1/4 scale. 1/4 scale what? I don't know. In any event, yes I've been using big receiver packs as ballast in a senior telemaster given that that bird flys better with a little more weight in it. You could also call it the paranoia of a new glow flyer who had been electric only till a year or two ago. A 24 oz fuel tank and a 2400 mah receiver pack mean I can be having a blast up high for 30 minutes while the ultimates, yaks and su31s are hovering over the freaking runway.....(sorry for the editorial comment)

In any case I was wondering what the interior dimensions are like on these two birds.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bigdirtybirdy.html

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep those 3-D hovercraft are a nuisance but they fly as fast as turtles! I just finished a .60 sized Kaos (61" span) and am strongly considering a Dirty Birdy 2+2 myself. Have you tried contacting anyone at Bluejay for specific dimensions? I would like to hear from people that have flown both the .60 size and larger versions of these planes for side by side comparisons.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Bigshark

I guess I'll have to contact Bluejay directly. A TON of people have built the smaller kaos's and db's. I guess the bigger ones are fewer and farther between. I'll shoot them an email and see what comes back.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Gray Beard

OK, I went out and took my ruler to my old Kaos, this is A real old bridi kit. The wing bay is 12X21/2 and the fuel tank area is 51/2X21/2. Lot of room for the gear. I have my elevator and rudder servo set back in the fuse for CG and I like to keep my controls close to the surfaces being operated. I just hatched the bottom of the fuse so I am able to get at them. Battery, RX, switch and throtle servo are in the wing bay and there is room for A lot more stuff if you wanted it in there. I'm not sure what size tank I have in there but I have never run out of gas and my flight time is set at 12 minutes before my radio starts beeping at me. I have changed engines A number of times, A 68 MDS, A 1.10 YS and at the moment an OS .91 FS. There are no scale sizes for this plane, it was never A scale anything but my 60size has A 62 inch wing if that tells you anything?
I never built the DB but have flown one. It and the Kaos fly just the same but the DB did hold A knife edge better. That was the only difference I noticed. Same with the Sun Fli. I have the plans for some of Mr. Bridis planes but have never gotten around to building any of them yet. Next small pattern plane I build is going to be the Daddy Rabbit. Just A different looking plane from the Kaos but it too is from the 70s. I love the old ones.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I love the old ones.

I'm with you Gray.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
CrateCruncher

I just maidened my Kaos (61" wing with ST G.61 for power). Its not as fast as I thought it would be but it has the old open nose with maple engine rails and the engine is still a little tight. The surprising thing is how its slows down to land. It'll just about hover in a 15 mph wind. I still have a lot of "improvements" to try but this plane has got a lot of potential!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Gray Beard

Crate, even with my YS 1.10 it isn't A very fast plane. With the OS .91 I have in it now it flys at about the same speed. Only difference is when I pull up. The YS would just keep going.
Out here I have flown mine in winds so strong I had to have someone hold it while I got it started so it didn't blow away, nice to have A plane that just doesn't care about wind isn't it.
Very stable plane, it's my go to plane when I have been having A bad day and can't seem to do anything right, it helps me leave the field feeling like A winner. Everyone should have one in the hanger.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 AM
djr1007

I have a Big Dirty Birdy 2+2, it's about 33% done. I can tell you that the quality of the wood and laser cutting was some of the very best I've ever seen in a kit. Unfortuneately that's all I can say. The kit does not come with instructions of any kind, and the prints explicitly say "Not to scale, for reference only". This is no beginner kit. They don't even include any landing gear parts, nor is there even a clue on the plans as to how/where to mount them. I found that by calling blue jay they did tell me the approxamate position for fixed gear, and only if you ask, they will send you a set of landing gear blocks.
Tank compartment is 7L X 3.25W X 4H, Radio compartment is 16L X 3.5W X 2.5H at lowest point under wing, 3.75H at the leading/trailing edges. Plenty of room.
I'm using a DB 20oz tank, but don't expect long flights with the OS160. A YS or OS 140 would probably be better, but not within the budget. Besides, I put the ele servos in the horizontal stab (like QQ did with his 1/4 Yak), and will need the weight up front, I'll also be doing my first glass job. So far I think I'm well under the 10-11 pound estimate, but with glass I'm sure I'll get there. 11 pounds with the OS160, should be plently of power to spare.
I've been taking pictures as I go, and planned to start a build thread, but haven't had time to put it together lately.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Frasco

You just answered my ?, I am not an expirenced builder. So this kit is out of my range.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:05 PM
CrateCruncher

Thanks for the info DJR,
That Big Dirty Birdy is a rare kit that few people even know about. A build thread would be great but even a picture or two would be quite welcome. I've built several sport planes from kits so a lack of instructions doesn't bother me. Is there any quality hardware? The plane is intended for retracts right? Are the plans clear and accurate? You said prints indicate "not to scale". Is that just in some reference sketch on the plans or what? Is the part fit accurate? Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Bigshark

Thanks a bunch djr1007! My email went unanswered by Bluejay. I've built a couple kits (Dynaflight Talon, 3 HL Skimmers) and plans built a hog of a Vickers Wellington. Hopefully I could figure this one out too. (Of course a build thread with a bunch of pictures would be helpful...... ) I'm toying with the idea of an SK 130 in the nose or maybe one of the large Super Tigers.

I'm thinking this will be my winter building project.......

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Can't speak for the 2+2 but I've built and flown the Big Kaos...sweet bird

Mine had a 79" wing span and weighed about 11-1/2lbs with pneumatic retracts. Powered by a 1.08 2-stroke.

Here are a few photos. I had the large air cylinder, 2-1/4 scale Futaba servos, the retract actuator servo and the air valve all in the cavernous fuselage.

I have an entire build thread here under the header, Big Kaos Kit Cutting...

PM
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Bigshark

Thanks PointMagu,

How did I miss that thread??? I thought I searched for kaos and chaos and came up with nada. More grist for the mill.......
Old 11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
djr1007

The outside world has been getting in the way lately and I'm just catching up. I'll get some pictures posted in the next couple days with some notes. In the mean time, no landing gear is intended for the 2+2, if you call they'll tell you the basic measurments for fixed block, that's it. I've search everywhere I can think of, and if anyone but me is working on one of these they're not admitting it.

FYI, I could have returned this kit, but I wanted the challenge as the next step to doing complete scratch build. My only real gripe is that the web site does not warn you of the complexity, lack of instructions, plans, and only a couple screws and blind nuts (don't know why they even bothered with those). I wrote them a email suggesting a little more detail and some warning notes. The reply I got was "You can return it if you don't like it".
Old 11-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Gray Beard

I can't see instructions for this kit as being A must have item but are you saying there are NO Blue Prints???
The plane is very basic but I can't see it getting built without the blue prints!! The BPs would also show you where the LG blocks go and should give the incidence and datum line plus the CG mark. The blocks for the LG can be bought at most hobby shops and the gear wire is very easy to bend to the length you want. The LG wire you can buy at your LHS too.
No blue prints then send it back and just buy the plans from MAN or one of the other plans services and cut your own kit. Even MAN sends A copy of the building artical but in A lot of cases it is usless and sometimes it's A great help. Comes free with the plans.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
djr1007

Gray Beard, I didn't say NO prints, just not to scale, and no indication for landing gear. Here are some pics and I hope you will be able to see. Also as I said, if you call Blue Jay they will tell you "blocks are located on ribs 2 & 3, 3.5" and 2.75" back from leading edge and 24" wide". They only tell you this if you call them (and if you know to do it and ask, they will send you a set of blocks).
Once again, my only complaint is that there is no warning or any information for that matter on the web site. Yes, an experienced builder can use what's given to build a great plane, but I still think they could easily add more information on the site. Every other site I've seen gives you some idea of what skill level, hardware, plans, etc come with the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72322.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	807725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67452.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	807726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77177.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	807727  
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
djr1007

Forgot to say that in the 3rd picture, these are the blocks they sent after several email exchanges. I mounted them according to the measurements given above. You will see on the print, no idication of landing gear placement or type. They also do not call out any doublers on ribs 2 & 3 (made and added them on my own). The fuselage and tail feathers are the same, many details left up to the builder.
I hope to be able to make the leep to scratch building soon, that's why I kept this kit, I thought it would be a good stepping stone to scratch building. I have a "Very Short" kit of ribs and fuse sides for a Curare, so this will be the next step. But with the help and education I've been getting from the builders on this and other forums I'm sure I'll be able to make the final leep soon.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 AM
JimTrainor

djr1007 , Are the plans not drawn at 1:1 scale, or is the differrence between plan and the wood a result of small changes in dimension between the wood and paper resulting from humidity, etc.?

PointMagu , How does it fly with the 1.0.8?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 AM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Hi guys,

I saw a plan set listed for a .90 Kaos on the MAN site while browsing there recently. My old stock glass/foam DB kit is still like I left it a few years ago. Wing/stab sheeted, firewall installed, then shelved. Dug it out the other day to get some inspiration to finish it. Have everything to complete it ie. engine (Webra Speed), retracts and radio. Haven't set up a 'shop' though since a move.

Pray for me, ;O)

Terry in LP
Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

The 1.08 in the nose of my Big Kaos was a Chinese OS clone that ran quite well but was a long stroke that had more workhorse than racehorse attributes, lol...

Having said that, my 11+ pound behemoth flew remarkably well. Gear up, those low passes were groovy. Slowed down nicely and landings were predictable. My wife always teased me by asking if I was going, "surfing" when carrying the large wing out to the car, :-)

There are a set of CAD plans for the Big Kaos that are remarkably clear and concise and IF I hadn't had those foam cores, I would have gone in that direction.

When I built the plane, I had -0- reference for retracts so I simply eyeballed where I thought they looked right. Spacing was to allow the gear to be tucked up into the thickest part of the root airfoil and it ALL worked out once balanced. I was flying blind and I admit it caused me alot of thought while sittin' on the john, (my best thinking part of the house).

I'm going to build another Kaos but it will probably be the Killer because of transport challenges with it's big brother, lol...

PM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97285.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	815803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77884.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	815804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34459.jpg
Views:	128