Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

UltraSport .60 Discontinued

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

UltraSport .60 Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UltraSport .60 Discontinued

Just was looking thru the .60 size kits on Tower and the UltraSport .60 has been discontinued . Glad I got mine a few months ago.
They still have the .40s left. Must not have went over to big.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: UltraSport .60 Discontinued

its an old kit. Been around since last Century
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ram-bro,
Great Planes re-released this kit last summer (along with the Ultra Sport 40, the Super Sportster 40 & 60, and the Tracer) for a limited production run. They had so many sales that the entire run of these sold out in approximately 6 months!!! The last one was sold sometime yesterday. The only ones that you'll see still for sale is if you find them on a LHS shelf.

Ken
Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Ken, did nt know...........
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wonder kits are becoming a thing of the past. Whenever one is successful and they sell out of them all of the time, they discontinue them. First the BTE Venture 60 and now the Ultra Sport 60; you'd hope somebody at one of these kit manufacturers would go to business school or crack an economics book open sometime!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee,That makes too much sense.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Redback

You're the 20th person today I've had to tell there's no demand for these things
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

No wonder kits are becoming a thing of the past. Whenever one is successful and they sell out of them all of the time, they discontinue them. First the BTE Venture 60 and now the Ultra Sport 60; you'd hope somebody at one of these kit manufacturers would go to business school or crack an economics book open sometime!
Guess I can consider myself lucky. I recently found a BTE Venture kit and started it the past weekend. See build thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6775526/tm.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ram-bro,
Great Planes re-released this kit last summer (along with the Ultra Sport 40, the Super Sportster 40 & 60, and the Tracer) for a limited production run. They had so many sales that the entire run of these sold out in approximately 6 months!!! The last one was sold sometime yesterday. The only ones that you'll see still for sale is if you find them on a LHS shelf.

Ken

I ordered one of the last ones from Tower yesterday (Still awaiting shipping confermation.) But does this mean the Super Sportsters are on the endangered list too????

Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I don't know how many of the Super Sportsters, or the Ultra Sport 40's, that they have left. I'm going to pick up a few of the Super Sportster kits though. I've had 3 of them in the past, but never built them myself.

Ken
Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
vmsguy

I don't know how many of the Super Sportsters, or the Ultra Sport 40's, that they have left. I'm going to pick up a few of the Super Sportster kits though. I've had 3 of them in the past, but never built them myself.

Ken
I'm already 3 kits (4 if I get the US60), 3 scratch builds, and one repair behind already.. I'm building as fast as I can...
And I haven't officially soloed yet!

Oh well.. I've been layed off, and Friday's my last day.. So I can pick up the building pace next week.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

Ken
I'm already 3 kits (4 if I get the US60), 3 scratch builds, and one repair behind already.. I'm building as fast as I can...
And I haven't officially soloed yet!

Oh well.. I've been layed off, and Friday's my last day.. So I can pick up the building pace next week.

Sorry to hear about the layoff. That's got to stink, especially the week before Christmas. Hope everything works out for you.

You've got a long way to go in being behind on your builds!!! I've got probably close to 35 kits stashed away for future use!!!!!

Ken
Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Looks like they have 72 of the Super Sportster 60 kits on hand (for sure), with more due in late February (that may be a computer glitch).
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Teachu2

They have at least 84 Ultra Sport 40 kits, and 84 Super Sportster 40 MkII kits. The software appears to prevent you from placing more than 84 in your shopping cart (go figure...).
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Teach2u,
Ok, you got me curious. How can you tell how many they have left??

Ken
Old 12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Teachu2

I puts 'em in my shopping cart 'til it says I can't have any more 'cuz they're out of stock. That's how I knew they had 3 US60 kits yesterday morning. Apparently the software will only let you put 84 of a particular kit in the cart - but it'll let you have over 1000 APC 9x6 sport props......

Just make sure you empty the cart.......
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
vmsguy

You've got a long way to go in being behind on your builds!!! I've got probably close to 35 kits stashed away for future use!!!!!

Ken
Let's see, I started building my LT40 in April. My first plane. And was a one plane pilot for 3 months. But since then I added several. I fear an exponential growth rate here.. If this keeps up, I'll be up to that 35 kits by spring!

I'm thinking a SS40 or SS60 is next on the list. I've got the RCM plans to build a SS40 into a twin. I think that'd be pretty cool. But definitely later in my build list.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Teachu2

BTW, Omnimodels.com is tied to the same database (heck, same server in same room!) and they update availability when you place one in the cart at the other site.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

I puts 'em in my shopping cart 'til it says I can't have any more 'cuz they're out of stock. That's how I knew they had 3 US60 kits yesterday morning. Apparently the software will only let you put 84 of a particular kit in the cart - but it'll let you have over 1000 APC 9x6 sport props......

Cool!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Ken
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Teachu2

I've got too much time on my hands,
and it's ticking away, ticking away on me!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I've got too much time on my hands,
and it's ticking away, ticking away on me!
Styx, Paradise Theater album!!!!!

Ken
Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 AM
housedad

Cool!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Ken
Interesting...
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard they were discontinued because they were no good. [X(]
Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I heard they were discontinued because they were no good. [X(]
You are kidding, right??? The Ultra Sport is probably one of the best sport flying planes ever designed. Ask anybody who has ever flown one, they will tell you the same thing. Why do you think they sold out their run in 6 months time? Most of the people buying this kit were pilots that have had one in the past. That kind of loyalty doesn't come from a poor flying plane. If you haven't flown one then it's hard to understand what we are talking about, but if you have flown one you wouldn't say this.

Ken
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

The reason we have so few kits on the market is not because people don't want to build them, its because the industry tries to use an ancient manufacturing paradigm that is obsolete in a global internet world. In the old days a manufacturer "set-up" for a batch run of 1000 kits, stuck them in a warehouse and slowly sold them off in lots of 100 or 200 planes to its major distributors. In turn, consumers wandered into a hobby shop and said, "Dad, that one looks cool, lets buy It!"

Today, internet savvy individuals can shop all over the globe from the comfort of their living room and have thousands of options from which to chose. The only time he appreciates the true value of a kit is after it becomes scarce. As long as he knows there is a warehouse full of brand new sealed kits in Champaign, why would he want one "now"?

Whats the solution? Flexible production! The kit market is so fragmented today a manufacturer can't build a warehouse worth of production and expect to maintain healthy sales demand past the introduction phase. I think independent kit cutters should move to fill the void between mainstream ARF's and the smaller builder segment comprised of people for which flying is only half of the hobby.

A kit cutter takes a credit card order over the internet, schedules a laser run of unique shaped parts and prints a registered set of plans from his PC. The picker in the warehouse pulls the sticks , sheet stock and hardware from bins, drops by the plans printer to roll up the plans just printed and picks up the laser cut stock from that operation, seals the box, slaps on a label and hands it to the UPS man.

This whole process requires no "set-up" time for each run, avoids the "warehouse full" syndrome and ensures the kit niche has more selection than ever before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.