Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What does it take to make a

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What does it take to make a

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
pub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take to make a

How do you know when you have a master builder,or someone says (he is a master builder) is it because he has build planes for 100 yrs,or is it because of the group he runs with can't build planes thats sayes he is a master builder. If you can understand what I just said,LET ME KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A MASTER BUILDER. Thank you pub
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: What does it take to make a

No Matter what he says, you had best look at examples of his work
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
meaden

Look at the quality of what they've built and judge for yourself.

Personally, I don't think I've "mastered" any of it. That's what makes it interesting.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

look at the work and ask questions. If you can find someone local that would be the best for you so that you can check out the work while in progress.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: meaden

Personally, I don't think I've "mastered" any of it. That's what makes it interesting.

Agreed. The quality of the work should speak for itself. How long someone has built should account for something, at least they have done a lot of something, but it doesn't mean the lot of something is any good. Just like house builders; some churn out junk that makes you wonder how it stands up in a strong wind, and then there are the guys who do custom building and are stacked up with work to do for years, because people are willing to wait for the quality.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: meaden

Yep, I agree. A couple of links to people I think are "masters"

[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/]Caffeenman[/link]
[link=http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/index.htm]Tom Pierce[/link]
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Dr1Driver

The quality of his work denotes his building class.

It takes experience, ability, and dedication to become a Master.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

A dash of "insanity" helps. mm
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
iron eagel

Look at this site:
http://www.airfieldmodels.com
Than you can decide on your own, but I would consider him one....

edit:
Sorry Alex you already had put him up there!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 PM
pub

Thanks for the replies, So what you are saying is that''if it looks on the ground, it will fly good"" this answer is to what I am reading from the the 8 replies,but of course that is only .008% of the flyers. Thanks pub
Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 PM
iron eagel

Actually it is more than just looking good, it has to be built well strong yet light, and fly as good as it looks. You have to use good building techniques, and understand the strength and limitations of the materials that you can use. There are guys which can build good looking models, but fly not so well. There are guys who can build planes that fly like a dream but not much for looks (they impress me more).
Then you have the guys that can build a very nice airplane that fly better than any other, they are the masters!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Dr1Driver

it looks on the ground, it will fly good
No. What we're saying is it will look good if a true master builder built it. Only the design of the plane and the conventions it was built by will determine how it flys.

For example, here is the caveat I include with the planes I build for others.

This airplane is not a toy. It is a fast, extremely maneuverable radio control
aircraft. Purchaser shall determine the suitability of the product for his/her use, and shall assume all risk and liability in connection therewith. This plane was built according to the manufacturer's instructions or with modifictions following current R/C building practices. The glues, materials, and hardware were either supplied by the manufacturer or were substituted following the same R/C building practices. This plane is warranted to be airworthy if flown within the manufacturer's recommendations and in a style typical of this type of plane. No other warranties or quarantees are suggested or implied.

Dr.1
Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
pub

IRON EAGEL, Great answer, THANKS pub
Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
iron eagel

No problem, glad to help...
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
pub

DR1 conventions?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 PM
iron eagel

conventions *

5. usual way of doing things: the customary way in which things are done within a group
designs that flout convention

6. familiar device: a standard technique or well-used device, especially in the arts
Her style does not follow the usual literary conventions

* Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever noticed that there seems to be really GREAT craftsmen and really BAD craftsmen [:'(], but very few that are really in-between? Most of the models I see are either awe-inspiring or embarassing. Just a thought, kind of along the lines of the "Master Builder" title.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: pub

How do you know when you have a master builder,or someone says (he is a master builder) is it because he has build planes for 100 yrs,or is it because of the group he runs with can't build planes thats sayes he is a master builder. If you can understand what I just said,LET ME KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A MASTER BUILDER. Thank you pub

I have a friend that can scratch build the most beautiful scale models out of thin air. Its amazing. He builds wings in his hands, doesn't even put them on the board. His techniques go back 50 years. He doesn't add a great deal of small details, so most people might not see him as a master builder. But to me, his creativity and mastery of scratch building puts him in the class.

I have another firend that only builds jets. They come preformed from factory kits. But what he does to them is mind blowing. People all over the country pay him to build their jets . His skills are very technical, there seems to be almost no creativity , just skill and knowledge. But I would call him a master builder.

My two friends are completely different. Thier skills can hardly be compared. They are nothing alike. They like different types of airplanes. But I think both are boarderline master builders, if not the full blown deal.

How can I define The skills or talents required to be a master builder ? You just know it when you see it.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:59 AM
YOADRIAN

The title does not mean much really, and all answers will be correct and wrong. This is one sport that does not really deal just in one type or ability, it ranges. The master in one type is a novice in another and so on. A Scale master builder seeks perfection in looks and flight, yet an aerobatic master builder deals in flight performance etc ect. Look at the web site and it ranges in all types and methods. A master builder is a title, yet everyone worth there weight in gold has never said to me i am a master builder they do not have to there work (in there type of building) speaks for itself. A great builder i once met said to me there is no such thing as a master because someone (normaly a rookie) always comes up with something new and better and you have to relearn again. Thus the love of the sport.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can make a living building planes (not assembling arfs) for customers then you are probably a master builder.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Mode One

Maybe the best definition so far, from my point of view is what YOADRIAN has stated above. Anyone who would call themselves a Master Builder could never be one, in my opinion, as a part of being a master includes a humbleness, which would never allow someone to think so highly of themselves. I also don't think, because you build model airplanes professionally, makes you a master builder. There are people who are prolific builders of junk; or, can simply build "good enough" airplanes very quickly. This is not a statement that Master Builders can not be professional builders!

Since we've been asked to define what makes a Master Builder, from my point of view, they would be found in scale. This is where the builders art is put to the strongest test. Of course different people will put the emphasis on their chosen endeavor, which is natural.

If your looking for someone to build an airplane(s) for you, simply look at examples of their work, both in the air and on the ground. You don't require a Master Builder to do this. Define what the venue is your focusing on. If your interested in Scale, you really can't use a builder to compete, as you must be the builder of the plane, unless your interested in a team event. If your interested in aerobatics and you want someone to build an IMAA or pattern airplane for you, ask to see some "works in progress" they are currently working on, as well as how their creations look in the air and on the ground.

However, I would turn my back on anyone who calls themselves a Master Builder. It's anyone other then themselves job to state such a thing.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 AM
pub

Yoadrian,that is a good definition , I did not intend to get anyone upset, I have seen quite a few planes for sale and the seller says (built by masterbuilder so an so) Just wanted to know. To lighten this up a little,my brother in law gave me this plane, I was telling him about the people in this hobby, there shops,room, hangers have 2,5, 10 ,20, planes in them. He said "hang this up" I need a prop for it, and it is not for sale. Thanks pub
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50073.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	849819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69816.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	849820  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting parking brake. lol !
Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

A dash of "insanity" helps. mm
Anal Retentiveness and Obsessive/Compulsive helps, too[X(]
Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
tstotts

A master builder has to know and understand a lot more than how to assemble a pretty looking model. To be considered a master he has to understand the principles of flight. The difference in how a model plane flys compared to a full scale and why. He must nderstand incidence, dihedral, engine thrust, airfoils, MAC, CG, radio systems, control linkage concepts, engines, prop theory and on and on, to long a list to post like this. Sorry to differ with mode 1 but if one is a master builder he KNOWS he his. The problem is there are to many that claims the level of expertise he does not possess. A couple of ones pointed to in previous post here would certianly rank right up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.