Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bring Back the Bridi Trainer 60

John
What was different about the Krafty 60? It’s hard to tell from the picture on their web site. I was interested in buying one of these also, thinking it was similar to the RCM, GP versions.

Also, I’m still confused about the difference between the RCM Advanced Trainer (#476), and the RCM Advanced Trainer MKII (#1327). They both are listed as having the same wing span at 58 1/2"

I have the kit plans for the GP Trainer 60. Thinking it might be my next build. But I don’t know what the difference in flight characteristics would be from the RCM versions.

Thanks.

The wing is semi-symmetrical instead of fully symmetrical. The cabin is higher on the Krafty than the Bridi/RCM Advanced Trainer. The vertical/stabilizer rudder and elevators are different. The balsa blocks that make up the front and rear of the cabin are sheet stock on the Krafty. The kit is very well made and the parts are machine cut and sanded. It will make a very nice model, it just ain’t the same.

When I built the Bridi T-60 it seamed to take me forever to sand the thing. (Probably because I wanted to get in the air as soon as possible) but it really came out nice as the edges of the fuse all had a nice radius.

I bought both plans from RCM because I didn’t know the difference either. They are basically the same exact model with the exception that the RCM Advanced Trainer MKII plans were revised to show some upgrades like a bolt on wing. Dual aileron servos inside the cabin (one on each side of the center rib) so you can use a newer radio and have flaps.

The nose gear is a Fluts RF-400 dual strut, the maple engine mounts have been replaced with a Dave Brown glass filled mount.

The wing now shows a plywood center spar re-enforcement and some other changes.

I believe that the GP Trainer has an extra wing bay and the tail feathers are more like the Krafty.

A friend of mine that got me started on this model used to build the wing with a small amount of anhedral like a Harrier and it would knife edge with no problem.
I was neat to watch a trainer with a tuned pipe fly like that. Kind of like a Kaos with fuse mounted landing gear.

That’s one of the reasons that I’m going to the trouble of making patterns and fixtures. It’s a very versatile design that can start out as a trainer with a 40 and end up a Hot Rod with a 61. They’re easy to build, strong and hold up well on rough grass fields unlike some wing mounted landing gear models that I’ve owned.

The GP kit was a nice model as well, I hope they bring it back.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Sir Crashalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John
Thank you for your reply, and all the good info.

Thanks again
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the crankshaft and the ground? For the Krafty, that is. I'm getting an RCV 60 SP and I'm going to need a test bed. The prop I want to use is 16 inches, so I would need about 8 inches plus 2 inches of clearance = 10 inches total, in order to swing that prop. Will I make it?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the crankshaft and the ground? For the Krafty, that is. I'm getting an RCV 60 SP and I'm going to need a test bed. The prop I want to use is 16 inches, so I would need about 8 inches plus 2 inches of clearance = 10 inches total, in order to swing that prop. Will I make it?

Thanks,
Jim
I pulled the plans and it looks like 7.25 inches from the ground to the center line of the engine. The plans shown 2.5 inch wheels...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76182.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	897205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87084.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	897206  
Old 03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aw nuts. Thanks for checking for me and posting the pics, John.

Jim
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Broken Wings

I've got a ARF Senior Telemaster with trike gear that has 10" from the floor to engine center line if that helps...

I used a Fluts Tooling nose gear and a 120 size main that I found at the local Hobby Shop. I rotated the picture, it's actually hanging on the wall...

Name:	Xv64094.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	897238  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM
bigugly

A couple days ago I was given a fiberglass fusealage, it looks just like the rcm trainer except the corners are a little more rounded and it doesnt have any cowl cheeks, otherwise its a dead ringer. The tail is exactly like the rcm trainer. the guy that gave it to me doesnt know much about it, or where it came from.
Has anyone seen one of these

I would post some pics but I dont have it in my possesion as I asked my friend to hang on to it for me till I move in 2 months ( the wife would kill me if I brought anymore planes or parts into the apt. )

I was just wondering if anyone had seen these before or is it a one off ??

I will try to get some pics the next time Im at his house.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: bigugly

A couple days ago I was given a fiberglass fusealage, it looks just like the rcm trainer except the corners are a little more rounded and it doesnt have any cowl cheeks, otherwise its a dead ringer. The tail is exactly like the rcm trainer. the guy that gave it to me doesnt know much about it, or where it came from.

I would post some pics but I dont have it in my possesion as I asked my friend to hang on to it for me till I move in 2 months ( the wife would kill me if I brought anymore planes or parts into the apt. )

Is this it?

Name:	Ge95759.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	902522  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bridi/GP RCM Trainer series does not utilize a swept rudder hinge line.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

The Bridi/GP RCM Trainer series does not utilize a swept rudder hinge line.

Ed Cregger
I've never seen one with a fiberglas fuselage either...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM
bigugly

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: bigugly

Is this it?

Not exactly. but what plane is that ?

The fuse matches up to the rcm wing and tail perfectly

I will have to get some pics soon
Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Krafty 60 is similar to Joe Bridi's 4 Season's 40 Design which was marketed by Kraft Systems in the early 80's. Semi-symetrical airfoil instead of a fully symetrical airfoil. The Krafty 60 and the 4 Season's 40 have a full rudder. The Vagabond was marketed by Kraft at the same time, as the low wing version. That's available on BlueJay's website also. I have to rebalance the 4S40 plane and test fly it this spring.

Jim

Name:	Sq47806.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	902907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63718.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	902908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88111.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	902909  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 AM
NM2K

The 4 Season .40 resembles the GP version of the Trainer Forty. Frankly, I prefer the previously mentioned version over the original Bridi version because of the improved empennage and full length rudder.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-31-2008, 06:15 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed that on my Krafty 60 that the rudder hinge line is slanted to the rear and there is a ventral fin

I found a .Jpg of the RCM Trainer 60 MKII and I copied the Trainer Jr to put beside it for comparison and there's not much difference in the outline

Name:	Jh14875.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1100071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61046.gif
Views:	250
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1100072  
Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mk11 is the same plane as the original except some minor clean up, bolt on wing instead of rubberbands, and 2 aileron servos for flaperons or differential throws. It fits todays ways better because most would be doing the mods anyway.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
NM2K

It's too bad that Joe succumbed to temptation/pressure(?) and went with a semi-symmetrical airfoil in the Krafty series. He had it right the first time. I'm sure it flies well as is, but I would have preferred a thicker symmetrical section as with the original RCM Trainer 60 and the GP updated Trainer Sixty. The high mounted rudder makes the original Trainer 40 and 60 respond to rudder in a weird fashion too. The newest GP version with the full length rudder suits me just fine.

To confess, I didn't feel right until I had a kit of every version on the shelf. Now to copy the parts and make templates, if I can ever get back into the basement and stand up long enough to get anything accomplished. At least the kits are there. <G>

You know, me, if I don't get off topic, well it just isn't me posting.

Every once in a while you discover a model with a "magic wing". A wing that just exceeds all expectations and in a most pleasant way. For instance, the RCM Trainer wings, the Kaos wings, the Dirty Birdy wings, the Goldberg Skylane 62 wing, the Falcon/Skylark 56 wing and lastly, the biggest sleeper of them all - the J&J J-Craft Trainer wing.

Folks if you want a high aspect ratio wing (triple tapered too) for a power plane that flat kicks butt in handling a lot of power (within reason), flies extremely fast when given the opportunity and which cuts the air with perfect precision, this is the wing to beg, borrow or steal. The J-Craft Trainer is back in production and it is worth buying the kit just to copy the wing. Want to build a pseudo scale looking warbird that is great at aerobatics (sport/not contest)? This is your wing. I "think" Eureka Aircraft is selling the J-Craft Trainer. I'll give it a check and change this post if necessary. Anyway, back to this channel's regularly scheduled programming.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/airplanes/planes.htm

I like the J-Bipe
Old 07-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Creative RC

Two RCM Trainer 60 were build by a club member this past winter. Recently acquired one from a member who kindly sold it to me. Both are powered electric with P60 motors and the wing span was increased to 70 inches. Both have flaps. Flew mine today for the first time and it is a very smooth and beautiful flyer. With the added flaps, effortless landings. With a 6000 6s battery at half throttle, flew for 12 minutes. Very impressed with this plane. Here are some photos.