Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lanier Cap232 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lanier Cap232 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Cap232 kit

I’m looking for engine suggestions for a Lanier Cap232 kit.

The specs are:
Overall Length: 79-1/8" (201.4cm)
Wingspan: 81" (206cm)
Wing Area: 1275 sq in (82.36 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 12lbs - (5443g - 7711g)
Engine: 1.50 - 3.2 cu in (24.6 - 52.4 cc) 2-stroke OR
1.60-3.0 cu in (26.22 - 49.16 cc) 4-stroke

I was thinking about using a 2 stroke glow engine like the Super Tiger 4000. Gas engine would be ok but I was thinking a 2 stroke would not be as heavy. I would like to add smoke. Has anyone built this plane? What engine are you using?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lanier Cap232 kit

I built one about ten years ago. Its still hannging in the garage but hasn't been flown for a long time. I would not believe the 12 lb. wt cited by Lanier. I am sure mine is much heavier than that and I am not a "heavy builder". I originally had a US 41 gasser in it which was okay sport flying power but the engine was in my opinion junk. I think I remember they may have had some "out of true" or "balancing" issues on the cranks of some of their first engines....lots of vibration in the one I had. That was one of my first gas engines and as a "Gas virgin" I just wrote it off as "typical gas" problems. I then switched to a ST 3000 which was better power but shortly after that swap I started flying bigger gassers most of the time and this CAP just hangs on the wall. I picked up a used Sachs 3.2 a few years ago that was intended for the CAP but is still sitting...lol.

I would go with a 50cc gasser for great performance or a 40ccer as a bare minimum for decent "sport flying". I dont fly any big glows except YS's 4 strokes so cant help much there. As I said....dont beleive that 12lb. wt unless you do some lightening.

Steve
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an old CAP 232 that was kit built some years ago with an 80 inch wing. Maker of the kit?? It's at about 14 pounds with A G-38, it will fly all the IMAC stuff very well but not enough power to do any 3-D. My scratch built Sukhoi had the Brison 2.4 40cc, another 80 incher but at 12 pounds, that was much better but still no real 3-D but A good match, I can't fly 3-D anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. Today the trend seems to be 50cc for 80 inchers and above up to about 15 pounds or so. When the planes get to that size A gas engine is the way to go.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search in this forum. A guy built it and lightened it up a LOT. He is using a gas engine.

Don't use glow. They aren't practical on a plane like this. If the cost of a gas engine is whats stopping you from doing it--then get a chainsaw and have it converted. Now you got a BME 50. A lot cheaper than any DA, 3W, Zenoah, Brillelli etc... and just as good.

At 80" and 1275 square inches, it is perfect for gas. I have a plane with the exact same specs. The World Models Extra 300S. I use a G62 for power. Lots of fun.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
smkrcflyer

Thanks everyone for the information. It looks like gas is the way to go. I have a Sig Cub with a gas engine so this will be a nice addition.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Knight_74

I'm just finishing my cap up. I put a G62 in it.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
smkrcflyer

Knight 74, do you have any pictures? Let me know how if flys?

I see were from the same town different state.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

The man in brown just dumped off a lanier cap 232 kit on my porch. Tower is selling em' for $129 and i've always wanted a cap 232 model.
I have built many kits over the years, but sheeting foam wings and stabs is something new for me. I have been reading up on this and I think I'm going the vacuum bagging route on this.
Overall, the kit doesn't look to bad for $129. The wingtube and gear are 6061-T6 and quite usable.
The instruction book has no pictures and looks to be for someone who has built a kit or two before, not great planes material here. Great planes have got instruction manuals down to a science IMO.
The wood looks to be of OK quality, the ABS cowl, and wheel pants are going in the scrap heap right off the bat.
I don't think I would have ever paid full price for a kit like this when I can get a WH ARF for a little more.

Now to decide on a engine, I have a 3W-50, a G-62, a moki 2.10, a Supertigre 3250. I have a cool 44cc RCS twin, but it will not fit in this 9 inch wide cowl, darn it was the engine I really wanted to use too[].
Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
smkrcflyer

Rcdude7, that's the same deal I got.

I would like to use a 3W-50 but I don't have that kind of money.

On ebay there is someone selling "BRAND NEW" LANIER CAP 232 FIBERGLASS WHEEL PANTS for $16.95. I'm thinking about getting a set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I bought the 3W-50 when AI had a sale on them. Of course the 50i is now discontnued and a 55i took its place.

smkrcflyer, I don't have that kind of money either. I had to intercept it from the UPS guy and bury it among my other plane stuff so it would'nt be discovered by the wife.[X(]

That is a good deal on a pair of FG wheel pants.

BTW smkrcflyer, did tower charge you a $45 surcharge for a "oversize box"? This carton does'nt seem any bigger than some of the GP ARFs I have ordered from tower in the past with no surcharge.

Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
smkrcflyer

That's how I got the Cap232 into my workshop. Tower did charge me the surcharge but I had a $25 off promo number, so that helped. I have some time to find an engine so maybe one will find its way into my workshop.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Iflyforfun

Like the sale price. How well does it fly?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

I built one of these 10 years ago---I used a Brison 3.2 (52cc) engine in mine---a 50cc gas engine is ideal for this plane. There were a number of threads on RCU about this plane (5+ years ago)--don't know if they are still accessible. This can be a terrific plane, but you've really got to watch the weight---built stock (plans), it will be too heavy to really enjoy. The Lanier CAP, like all CAPs, tends to build heavy---so you need to build the tail as light as possible. I'd suggest you eliminate the sheeting on the bottom of the fuse, aft of the wing. I'd also suggest using 1/64" ply for the aft turtle deck (throw away the balsa)---if you do, you can eliminate most of the stringers that are used to support the balsa turtledeck. I'd also suggest using very thin balsa sheets (contest grade) for the tail feathers. Be mindful of the amount of glue you use in sheeting the tail feathers (you'd be surprised how much excess weight this can amount to). You'll want to use a pull/pull rudder set up and move the rudder servo under the canopy (do NOT use a push/push set up with the rudder servos in the tail like the plans show. If possible, get a carbon fiber tail wheel. If you haven't built the fuse yet, take a router to all the lightening holes in the fuse pieces, including those in the formers for the wing tube box. I'd also put lightening holes in every fuse former---especially those aft of the wing tube. The stock airframe is over-engineered and can be lightened considerably with no adverse structural consequences. You'll want to CG the plane about 1" IN FRONT of the wing tube for initial flights (plans show CG right on the tube). The plan CG is too far aft for most pilots. After you've gotten a few test flights completed, you can start moving the CG back in very small increments. Most people I talked to ended up with their CG about 1/2" IN FRONT of the wing tube.

This plane is a nice build. It was my 1st GS plane and I just built it too heavy (lack of experience). Mine ended up at 17.5lbs initially (built completely stock). I eventually got it down to 17lbs with the mods above, but it really needed to be at 16lbs to be fun. I met a couple of guys who got theirs down to 15lbs (50cc engines)---these were really nice planes. I suppose you could use a Moki 180 for a 2-stroke application, but I think performance would be marginal. Even if you did use a glow engine, you will still have CG problems. Even with a gas engine, I ended up putting all batteries completely forward (in the engine box) and still needed some additional dead weight to get the CG correct. Plane flies great a cruising speed---beautiful aerobatics---spins, rolls, cubans, etc... . Slow speed handling will take some practice. Elevator authority is immense and its easy to "balloon" your landing approaches if you're not careful with elevator inputs when on final. BTW, I'd start with the suggested control throws to start with. I rarely used high rate elevator on my CAP. Good luck with your CAP,....WarpedWing