Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig four star 60 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig four star 60 kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
alabamaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig four star 60 kit

just got a 4 star kit to build in the spring. i will be putting a saito 100gk on it and useing a dx7 radio. how long does it take to build it? this is my frist to build. after i build it what is a good second and third build. i plan on building all my plane becouse i want to get to the point where i can build i gaint scale F4U with a 100+ inch wing span in about ten years. the planes i want in the near futer is a sterman and a decathalon
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: sig four star 60 kit

The kit could really go together in one weekend, but as a first kit you should take your time and not worry about getting it done so fast. I build in my spare time at a leisurely pace - I started my 4 star 40 more than a month and a half ago and will have it ready to cover by the weekend. I have done a fair amount of modifications which have taken some extra time, but really it is just beacuse I don't rush and plan every move. Take your time and enjoy the build and you will end up with something you can be proud of.

As far as a second and third kit goes, it is really up to you and what your flying ability allows. Anything laser cut builds easily as long as you:
1) Read the instructions a few times
2) Take your time
3) Think ahead and plan your next move
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Really depends on how fast you build. Framing an airframe is EASY. It's all the linklages and covering that take time.

I usually end up building an airframe a couple times before it's all done. What I mean by that is--I'll frame it all up and just do a rough sand. Then I'll install all my servos and make all the linkages. Install all the control horns etc. So, I have a framed airplane sitting on the bench that could be flown--if it just had covering. Then I strip it and do the final sanding. Then cover it. Then put all the gear back in. Takes a long time. But, I'm anal and I want all my kit built planes to look nice and fly nice.

You could probably frame the wings in a week, considering this is your first build.

Figure another week to frame the fuse and tail.

Another week to cover it.

Another week to put it all together and tweak the installation.

A month to build and have a RTF 4*60 would be a blistering pace IMO. That would be 10-12hrs per day with no other distractions in your life.

In reality, it took me 4 months to build a 4*120. Would be nice to just throw some glue at the box and have a completed airplane drop onto the bench. But it does take time. I enjoy the time spent building. I don't see it as a burden or something to rush through. It's an entirely different part of the hobby for me.

For guys who don't like to build, there are ARFs.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
hrrcflyer

Alabamaflyer,

Good luck with your 4*60. A Saito 100GK in that plane should be AWESOME.. Keep us posted with pics. Like acs_giutars says, the plane should go together rather easily if you take your time but remember, if you run into a snag, you can always post a question here and I'm positive someone will be able to help you out.

As far as your next kit, if you like sport / aeorbatic flying, my vote would be for a Great Planes Ultrasport 60. I know Great Planes doesn't have any in stock at this time, but rumors are that they are going to make some more since the last 300 they produced sold out so quickly. This is one rumor, I hope is true

Have fun with your kit and welcome to the joy of building.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
TrickyPig

Alabamaflyer,

Great choice of kits to build...I built a 4*60 just over a year ago...The build went very well.

I put in a Saito 1.00....really pulls her around nicely....Planning on buying another kit and doing a little bashing

Goodluck and don't be afraid to post some building/finishing pics....
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
dapam03

I'm building a 4* 60 right now. i started yesterday and have one wing half built. This is also my first build. I'm posting lots of pics, so take a look and you will get an idea of what to expect. While I waited for my kit, I read a lot of posts on here and learned a lot. Still learning.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It took me 6 months of tinkering to finish my 4*60 but I also scratchbuilt 3 smaller 1/2A-sized planes from start to finish during that same period. It only took 2 months to crash it.[]
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
frenchie79

I sense a sour tone in your voice! TeeBee build another.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 AM
lanesgrandpa
My Feedback: (2)

I'm fixing to start building a Sig 4* 60 and have a choice of using one of two engines, a OS 70 Surpass II or a Super Tigre 75. I like the sound of the OS 70 but worried that it might not provide enough power. I'm not a hot dog pilot and like flying slower than most pilots. Got any suggestions? I currently own both engines just need some help in deciding which would be the best choice.
Lanesgrandpa
Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
hrrcflyer

Lanesgrandpa,

I'm a 4 stroke person too, but I'm araid the OS70 would be marginal on a 60 size plane. I'd put your Supertiger 75 in the plane.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just acquired a Four Star 60 already assembled from an ARF. The guy said he flew it with an OS .61 FX 2 stroker and it did... OK. I had my heart set on a BTE Venture 60 but they've discontinued that kit.

I've been flying an LT-40 trainer now for 3 years and have logged over 100 flights. I can fly laps around the field inverted, do simple loops, rolls, immelmans and spot land it pretty consistently so I figured it's time to move up.

I'm seriously thinking of putting the Saito 100 in the Four Star 60. I'll also have to add another radio. I fly my LT-40 with my Futaba 6XA Super and now using a FP-R168DF receiver. I'd also used the R138DP on PCM but only after I completed the training phase as the buddy boxes wouldn't work on a PCM setup. Four Futaba S-3004 servos are used.

I also have an UltraStick 40 with Saito 62 and use a Futaba 9C w/synthesized 72mHz TX and RX modules. I have (gulp) seven S-3004 servos in that. Haven't gotten the Saito dialed in yet since I've had 3 flights and 2 deadsticks with only a repair to the LG block needed.

I reallly, really want to migrate to 2.4gHz as my son has a Spektrum DX-7 in his Mini UltraStick and loves it. I may just get a flight pack and use his Spektrum TX for my Four Star 60.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with you. I'm building a four star 120 as a sort of warbird trainer. Based on an idea by Ed Moorman I'm modifying it to "sort of" look like a KI 61 Tony. This has been my winter project and had taken about three months to get to this point. I still need to attach the tail group and the ailerons and add the electronics and Japanese markings. (note: the cowl was made out of z-poxy and fiber glass cloth)

As others have said, read the instructions several times, look at the plans a bunch, and don't be surprised if you still screw something up. The Four Star 120 was my 5th kit and to be frank, there were a couple trips to the hobby shop that could've been averted if I'd have read the instructions rather than assuming I knew what I was doing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13264.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	900117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73816.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	900118  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Everyone, just to let any interested I am selling my Four Star 60.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=405882[/link]

Thanks,
DTB
Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
davidgeorge212

hi, sorry to disrupt the thread here but I have a question for anyone. Can some one please give me some dimensions of the four star 60 canopy. If you could tell me how long it is from front to back, how wide it is from side to side, and also how tall it is from bottom to top. I would appreciate anyone who can help me out here.

Thanks a lot,
David G.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just cut one stock last week. From the bottom, length is 10 1/4
3 1/4 wide and it's 3 1/4 tall. This is cut along the mold line.
The canopy from the Segual Extra 260 60 size ARF fit's this plane so that's what is being used. I made the mistake of showing my student how cool it looked so I lost it. [8D]
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
davidgeorge212

I would have thought the 4 star 60 canopy would have been taller. I have a 4 star 40 canopy and it is almost that same hieght. I am trying to find a bigger canopy for my sig somethin extra because I have a pilot that sticks up a little bigger than the stock canopy. I need a canopy that is almost 3 3/4" tall. The segull canopy you were talking about isint any taller is it?

David G.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
davidgeorge212

double post wupps.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went out to the shop and tried A couple of things. The best I could get out of the 260 canopy is 3 inches from the floor board. By moving the stock canopy around I was able to get 4 inches. One thing about the canopy most people do {{some people}} is to turn the canopy around backwards to change the looks, you can give that A try, it turnes it into A sort of bubble canopy and depending on how you cut the front and back you can get A bunch of height out of it.
This could break that rule about friends letting friends fly ugly planes though so you didn't get the idea from me!!