Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Which Cub

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 04:07 AM
redbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cub

I am thinking that my next kit will be a Cub. I have an OS 60 2c, an OS 91 4c, or an OS120 4c to use as the engine. I would like to get some suggestions from all you Cub fans out there. What is the best building kit for a Cub of this size?
Thanks
Ben
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which Cub

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub is the way to go....

I had mine for 15 years....and just sold it....it's built
like a tank....I had a Magnum .91 4-stroke in mine, and
I built it "clipped wing''....it's a winner.

I had the other build-up one too.....The Sig (I think).
The wing folded on the first flight.

Dave.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:15 AM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Default Which Cub

With the 120, you could almost go full size!
I'm not an expert by any means but I too love Cubs.
I have a SIG 1/6 Clipped-wing kit on the board, and it is of excellent quality. SIG has several varieties and sizes on the market.
Happy shopping!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which Cub

I'm flying the Sig 1/5th scale cub with an OS .52 FS and it flys great - like a cub!

Good kit to boot....

Jerry
Old 04-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which Cub

I like the Carl Goldberg kit. Very good wood & built to last. I built the long wing and I power it with a Magnum .61 4-stroke. Flies great
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73162_26374.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	44068  
Old 04-23-2003, 08:52 PM
TomCrump

Default cubby

Over the years I've had a couple of Goldbrerg Cubs. Both had OS 70's in them. Loved em,but with your engine selection, I'd recommend the bigGreat Planes Cub. I've flown one wiyh a OS 120 twin in it, and it was GREAT! The Sig quarter scale Cub flies in a scale manor with the 120. The Great Planes is my favorite, tho.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Live Wire

Default Which Cub

If you like to build the Balsa Usa 1\4 scale , It will take every engine you have and talk about a flier. Give it a lot of room to land They like to fly!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which Cub

I would highly suggest either the Goldberg or the Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub. I have both and both are great. I didn't like the great planes cubs as well. They didn't fly as good. Don't know what it was but they just were not as stable as these two.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Cub

I think the Goldberg Cub is way too small for any of those engines. I have a GP Cub .40 and with a ST45 it'll prop hang.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:20 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Cub

My wife built a Goldberg Cub and we powered the plane with an OS 40FP. Got off the ground on half throttle and would float for ever. One thing, a CUB shoul not be over powered with the large wing you don't need much to generate any lift.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:49 AM
nvillerod

Default Which Cub

I'm getting my Goldberg Cub out of moth balls after 15 years. Could someone remind me where it should balance? I'm guessing close to the spar.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:21 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which Cub

Its on the spar. I had a K&B 61 two stroke in mine. Loved it on floats and ground. The new one will have a Saito 60 twin four stroke in it.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:13 AM
smacc
My Feedback: (1)

Default cubs

My first plane was the goldberg cub. The man at the hobby store said it was a good first trainer(not!). After building it I put it aside and learned on something more practicle. when I did move up to it finally, I found it to be an excellent flyer. which kit you decide on may be determined by what your intentions are. If you just want a good flying plane that looks like a cub, go with the goldberg. If you want something to do up scale, I think there are better kits available. the goldberg just uses strip ailerons while I know at least the Great Planes model uses more scale-like barn door ailerons. I know the the Balsa USA kit can be done very nicely and as stated, it can handle your 120 with ease.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Flyboy Dave

Default Which Cub

I guess it just depends what you want out of a Cub.
Sure....they will fly with almost any amount of power.
A Goldberg Cub would probably take off and fly with
an O.S. .25 in it. But, it's not a trainer. On the other
hand....a clipped wing Goldberg with some power is
quite airobatic....and can be a lot of fun.

The .61 two stroke, or the .91 four stroke are the engines
of choice....IMO for the Goldberg....assuming of course
that you are using a throttle. Neither engine will pull
the Cub straight up...so what is over powered ?

The only way I would perhaps, use a full winged Cub
would be on a float plane....where the additional lift
would be beneficial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73563_5977.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	44069  
Old 05-16-2003, 05:35 PM
airbatic

Default Which Cub

Sig's 1/4 scale cub 105" w.s. with your O.S. 120 4-stroke.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Skycam41

Default Which Cub

Hello Redbear,

I have a Great Planes 60 size Cub with the 90" wing powered by a Saito 91. I also have Goldberg Anniversary Cub, also with the full wing powered by a Saito 80.

Couple of things come to mind. Firstly, have a good think about how you are going to transport the Cub. The ideal vehicle is like a Chev Tahoe or Suburban but I can stuff my GP into my Honda Accord but with only one occupant...me!

Secondly, do justice to which ever Cub you buy and install a four stroke engine. They look and sound so real compared to a bee in a can two stroke.

My GP Cub was a very nice build for the most part. The tail feather balsa was like heavy lumber but apart from that I am happy with it.

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub has pathetic die crunched parts which fit even worse. Inspite of that, the plane flies very nice..I test flew it today with floats, see picture.

If I was to build another Cub I think I would really like to buy the brand new Sig laser cut 1/5th scale. From what I understand it is a first class kit, very scale like, even with a functioning door! I would think that your OS 91 would be too much power and that a 70 four stroke would be the ticket but thats just my thoughts.

Good luck choosing, take your time and build it true and you will love the yellow Cub

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-18-2003, 06:09 AM
Skycam41

Default The Goldberg Cub on floats

Here is my Goldberg Cub that flew for the first time today, and yes the grin was still there after the first flight!!
Old 05-18-2003, 09:36 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

Default What hr said

I've got a Golberg cub with Saito .72. Way over powered! I'm cleaning up an old Enya .53 to replace it. The Golberd cub flies GREAT!!!! It's not as scale though as others. The kit was very easy to build, but the die crunching wasn't great, and it builds heavy. I am thinking about the Sig 1/5 LASER cut for the next one.

Have fun
Old 05-24-2003, 04:42 AM
Jesse-RCU

Default Which Cub

i built the Great planes 90" wing span and put an OS 120 on it. i love the way it flys. the flattest flat spins you ever see. plane is beautifull and looks very scale. you'll love it.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:00 AM
v8rob

Default Which Cub

Hello, I'm new to the board. My father and I used to fly when I was pretty young. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago. I inheirited his stash of RC stuff. It's been about 15 years since I've flown anything and I didn't have much stick time to begin with. I'm hoping to get back in the air soon.

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my father's stuff because I simply don't have a place to store it and most of the kits are well beyond my skill level. I am fortunate enough to have the choice of several really nice kits and engines to keep. My father was a big fan of the J-3 Cub and had purchased the Goldberg Anniversary Cub, the Great Planes Cub and a Sig 1/4 scale Cub. I've been trying to decide between the Goldberg Cub and the Great Planes Cub for a second plane (I plan to start with a Hobbistar 60 ARF) From what I've read, it sounds like more people are happy with the Goldberg cub. I've also been trying to decide between an OS .61 4-stroke and an OS .91 4-stroke. From what I've read and remember, the .61 *should* be plenty of engine for a 72.5 inch wing Cub, but several people seem to recomend a larger engine. I had decided to keep the .61 for the Cub, but now I'm leaning toward the .91. I also like the idea of using the .91 on another plane much further down the road (like a Spitfire or a Mustang)

Sorry I rambled. Does anyone have some input?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:55 AM
Flyboy Dave

Default Which Cub

If you want to build it full wing....put the .90 in it.
The .60 only has the power of a .45 two stroke....and
would be very, very, minimal in the Cub. I have a clipped
wing Goldberg with a Magnum .91 in it. It will chug around
happily at 1/2 throttle very economically....but I have
plenty of power in reserve for stunts.

Some will say overpowered Cubs don't fly well....

....Hogwash !....
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jesse-RCU

Default Which Cub

both goldberg and the great planes cub fly beautifully. the only reason i put the os 120 on mine was that i already had the engine and didnt want to spend any more money. but the goldberg cub will fly well with saito 65 up to 90. now the greatplanes cub with the 90"wingspan can handle a lot more power, so the os 120 worked great on it. just remember you can always power back, as long as you dont go overboard with putting a bigger engine on a plane.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:32 PM
v8rob

Default Which Cub

Thanks for the input guys!

I think I've decided to keep both engines and the Goldberg cub. I may try the .91 at first, with the idea that the extra power may help get me out of trouble more easily. Depending on how that works out, I'll put the .61 on later and see if that gives more "scale" flight characteristics. The fact is, it will be a while before it's really an issue. I've got to get the Hobbistar 60 in the air first!

Thanks,
Rob Pinkston
Dallas, Tx
Old 07-09-2003, 01:02 AM
pabdoc

Default Cubs

Keep the Goldberg Cub, but don't use any more than the .61 for power...mine flies great ( off floats) with the O.S. .52. It has a very large wing, is lightweight but strong, and flies like it doesn't want to land!

Have fun!