Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Senior Telemaster suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Senior Telemaster suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
tennessee_flash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster suggestions

A friend of mine gave me his Senior Telemaster 9 years ago. The airplane had been sitting for about 20 years or more. He flew the airplane 3 or 4 times and then had the Telemaster blow out of the back of his truck on the way to the field. I took the old covering off and rebuilt the airframe. The airframe looks good with no warps. I covered the airplane in yellow Super Coverite to look like a Cub. I installed a MVVS .61 engine and JR radio equipment. I noticed on the first takeoff that the rudder is inadequate with a crosswind so I took off on the grass runway. After takeoff the airplane didn't want to turn so I yelled "HEADS UP" because the airplane was headed for the flight line. I used the rudder to get the airplane back on the ground. After inspecting the airplane and determining the ailerons were working, I took off again. Again I had the same problem. I can move the ailerons full travel and the airplane won't roll. I'm using an aileron servo in each wing. The airplane also isn't stable in the roll axis(doesn't want to trim out). Because I don't have a manual I just eyeballed the amount of aileron travel. I'm not using any aileron differential which could be part of the problem on a flat bottom wing. The only mod to the kit besides 2 aileron servos is the wing bolts for mounting the wing. I'm looking for suggestions because my smaller Telemaster flies great except for lack of rudder control(too small of rudder area).

Thanks,
TF
Old 03-22-2008, 05:15 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Senior Telemaster suggestions

Try increasing the throw. Differential won't do anything noticable.

Also seal the aileron gaps.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
tschuy

I've had the same experience with mine and found that adding an additional 2" to the rudder cured the lack of Yaw control. Also it sounds like you may not have enough of a percentage on your aileron surface. Old school rules were typically you wanted between 7 to 10 percent of your total wing surface to be aileron on the slower moving sport type models to have enough affective surface to roll the airplane around. Least that's what I can remember from the Clarence Lee articles posted in the RCModelor magazine.

Cheers,
Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
tennessee_flash

Thank you Mike and Tim. My friend used some of the original aileron material for short pieces of flap. He might have cut down the aileron area too much. I'll seal the hinges and increase the throw to start with. The rudder area looked too small to start with but it was already hinged and tapered so I haven't increased the area of the rudder yet.

TF
Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tennessee_flash

Thank you Mike and Tim. My friend used some of the original aileron material for short pieces of flap. He might have cut down the aileron area too much. I'll seal the hinges and increase the throw to start with. The rudder area looked too small to start with but it was already hinged and tapered so I haven't increased the area of the rudder yet.

TF

----------------

Models such as the Telemaster and Sig Kadet and Mk.II have been known to have adverse yaw cancel out the roll of the ailerons. A friend of mine's Kadet (original kit) would not turn with aileron and elevator inputs for just this reason. We had to drill new holes in the servo output wheel that made the high aileron go much further up, then it did down in the opposite turning direction. In other worlds full right aileron would provide large amounts of upward deflected aileron on the right wing with not as much throw downward on the left aileron. That straightened out his problem of not being able to roll into a turn using just aileron and then compensating with elevator in order to maintain altitude. I hope that was understandable.

I agree with the other posters that the Telemaster series models have skimpy control surfaces to begin with.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had a Senior Telemaster blow out of the back of a truck!! Had the same thing happen to me once. Thankfully, it was minimal damage. I also added to the rudder on both the .40 size and Senior Telemaster for better performance. Now I have the rudder coupled with the ailerons on both my Senior and Giant Tele. Getting lazy I guess!
Randy
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: rryman

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had a Senior Telemaster blow out of the back of a truck!! Had the same thing happen to me once. Thankfully, it was minimal damage. I also added to the rudder on both the .40 size and Senior Telemaster for better performance. Now I have the rudder coupled with the ailerons on both my Senior and Giant Tele. Getting lazy I guess!
Randy

----------------

Which engine is powering your Giant Telemaster? I bought the kit a short while back and have been thinking of powering it with a G-62, but that might be too much. Any thoughts?

A good friend of mine had his Telemaster 40 blow out of the back of his pickup too. My pickup had a cap, saving me that kind of problem. Now I'm driving a minivan. Frankly, I miss the little Ford Ranger pickup, even though it didn't have room for large models, without turning the models into smaller pieces.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

I've got a G45 on mine, and it comes out pretty nose heavy with that. Another guy here is putting one together with a G62, but hasn't flown it yet. I think you'll probably have to add a good bit on tail weight, but should still fly OK. Mine topped out at 23#. If you like the other Telemasters, you'll love this one. I had a build thread on it some time back.
Randy
Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the OS .60 on mine and it was about perfect for the plane. I just flew it, I didn't use it as A tow or anything. A G-62 could be A lot of fun.
Mine didn't have any aileron control problems and I cut the ailerons down by A third for flaps. It did need some rudder input on turns though just to give it some help and I had A lot of throw on the ailerons.
One of the planes I had the most fun with. Got to fly another one two weeks ago and loved it, could have had some more wind though, that's when they start getting with the program.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM
ERJ_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I used the OS .60 on mine and it was about perfect for the plane. I just flew it, I didn't use it as A tow or anything. A G-62 could be A lot of fun.
Mine didn't have any aileron control problems and I cut the ailerons down by A third for flaps. It did need some rudder input on turns though just to give it some help and I had A lot of throw on the ailerons.
One of the planes I had the most fun with. Got to fly another one two weeks ago and loved it, could have had some more wind though, that's when they start getting with the program.
I was thinking of building one and using an OS 60 that I have. Do you think you could tow a 2M sailplane with that?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The senior Telemaster flies fine on a old .60 OS four stroke (the first model of that engine swinging a 14x4 prop).
With a two stroke .61 engine swinging the same prop or a 13x5-13x6 APC you should be able to tow a 2m sailplane just fine.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: rryman

I've got a G45 on mine, and it comes out pretty nose heavy with that. Another guy here is putting one together with a G62, but hasn't flown it yet. I think you'll probably have to add a good bit on tail weight, but should still fly OK. Mine topped out at 23. If you like the other Telemasters, you'll love this one. I had a build thread on it some time back.
Randy

The G62 I would use has been modified by Ralph Cunningham. It is one of his G62 Lite engines with EI, which should be considerably lighter than your G45 (used to own one of those too, nice engine).

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

-

We skipped a groove on you, Gray Beard, and began talking about the Giant Telemaster (12' Telemaster).

The Senior Telemaster will fly just fine with a .60 sized glow engine, as you have already noted.

I like to have an excess of control authority. It permits me to fly these lightly loaded models on windy days without worrying about not having enough control authority to pull the model out of awkward situations.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
jbarnes

I fly my giant and senior with differential aerlions and couple 20% rudder and they both fly much better. And my Giant has a G62 Ed.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
NM2K

Yep, you just about have to coordinate the turns (rudder and aileron applied simultaneously) on models such as the Telemaster, in virtually any size.

How do you feel about the G62 in your 12' Tele? Too much? Over the top? Just right?

Ed Cregger
Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
jbarnes

I fully sheeted the fuse with 1/4" and got some serious landing gear on it so its not what you call light. I need lots of nose weight so I put in a standard G62. The original 43 was ok but not what I call a power house. The 62 is just right, especially at my altitude (5600'). Pictures are located here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...emaster/tm.htm
Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dissagree with the comment that differential does not do anything. It improved the response greatly on three that I built and flew. If using ailerons, take out all of the dihedral if possible and do enlarge the rudder for improved performance. IMHO this is a great flying plane once trimmed out. It is real easy to get a warp in the wing when shrinking the covering and that will make trimming nearly impossible so take care there. On the third one I built, I sheeted the wing in front of the main spar (made a D leading edge structure) to keep the wing from warping so easily.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
tstotts

Scratch building a senior telemaster (8' wing span) from kit plans. Unfortunately the plans don't give me a thrust or datum line but does give me incidence for main wing and horizontal stab so might determine a thrust line from those figures. calls for 3% down thrust on the engine but cant find anything on right thrust. Going to use a 1.20 4 stroker propped with a 16x6 or 16x8. Anyone got any suggestions on how much if any right thrust I should build into it.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: tstotts

Scratch building a senior telemaster (8' wing span) from kit plans. Unfortunately the plans don't give me a thrust or datum line but does give me incidence for main wing and horizontal stab so might determine a thrust line from those figures. calls for 3% down thrust on the engine but cant find anything on right thrust. Going to use a 1.20 4 stroker propped with a 16x6 or 16x8. Anyone got any suggestions on how much if any right thrust I should build into it.

Two to three degrees of right thrust should be about right.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 AM
tstotts

Thanks Ed. Appreciate all the input I can get.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
jjscott

Ed is correct on the right thrust. It's 2 degrees. I do have a set of the original Hobby Lobby/RCM kit plans. I can take any other measurements you need; just let me know.

Jim
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Telemaster flyers,
I ran accross a Hobby Lobby Telemaster 60 ARC that has never been covered. But the wings were joined so I got it reasonable do to being able to pick it up (no shipping an 8 foot wing).
Anyway I want to set it up for glider towing. Ben Diss release and OS 91 FX for power. How much increase in rudder? I read it needs some but I would assume even more for glider towing? Should I add to the ailerons? I will be using a futaba 7CAP radio so I can mix and set up diferential, etc.
Thanks,
OzMo
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing. Mine flys great. Here is the stock vert stab laid over the larger one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88884.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	996930