Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

81" Lanier Cap 232 engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

81" Lanier Cap 232 engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
bipeguy03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81" Lanier Cap 232 engine Question

Okay so I know there have been alot of threads goin up about this plane, especially with them being only $110. But I broke down and bought one a couple of weeks ago, and I'm beating my self up about the engine choice.

I cant really decide on either a super tigre 3250 glow or a Fujii Imvac BT-50 EI. I'm NOT a 3-D guy as a matter of fact I do not like 3-D becuase its just not scale. And I'm on little bit of a buget so that throws gassers like DA or 3W out the window.

I am a super tigre lover so I've been leaning a little toward the 3250, I have a 2300 on a goldberg sukhoi and absolutly love the thing. but I am a little worried wether or not the 3250 will pull this cap though the manuvers without struggling to much.

Wieght is another big concern of mine. I know I can get this plane weights less than 15 lbs. I got a goldberg ultimate to weght 6 lbs so I know I can do it.

So is the gas engine worth the wieght trade off or will the Super Tigre 3250 be the right engine?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
bipeguy03

Default RE: 81" Lanier Cap 232 engine Question

okay, so does anybody know anything about these engines? CCRC 50CC gasser from Maxford USA. I can afford this and now I'm leaning a little towards it.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/crrc26ccgasengine-1.aspx
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Bipe, good to see you back here again.
Once you get past 1/4 scale it's A good idea to go over to gas anyway. Depending on the plane I go right to gas at 1/4 scale without another thought.
I only have one friend that has the CCRC and so far not enough time on it to make A call yet. I went to RCS and Brison when I got into gas for the first time but there is A lot of new stuff being shipped from China that I haven't even seen yet.
You may want to look over at the Gas Engine Forum and see what is going on and get some real informed information from A lot of people that are using that engine right now.
Gene
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 AM
hrrcflyer

Bipeguy03,

Take a look at the DL-50. I've heard alot of good things about this engine, especially for the money. I've also heard alot of good things about the CRRC engines as well.

Post some pics of your plane when it is done. I'm looking for ideas on how to recover an old 84" Lanier Cap barf (i mean arf) a friend gave to me.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
bipeguy03

I've been Doing some reading and I think that the CCRC 50 is the way I'm going to go, its a good price for that size engine based on everyone else I've looked at.

Keep an eye out here in the next few weeks I'm gonna get started on it and I will start another build thread!

Thanks for the help guys!

James
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Gray Beard

James, I'm not A big fan of the Lanier kits but because it's you doing the build I can't wait to see what you do with it!! I haven't got any real clues about that engine so again, because it's you I can't wait to hear what you think.
After I finished that CG Extra and sent it on it's way to the new owner I was really not too happy about it. I have built two of them but none for myself, I really like the CG kits.
Anyway, I finished up my Texas Twins 65 inch Extra 260, fully glassed with using Poly-U and painted with Klass Kote. Got my Hots finished up and flying beyond good and then an old friend gave me his old CG Extra 300 that fly's as well if not better then the last two I built. OK, not better but about the same. Fly one well built Extra and you just flew them all, from A 30 size to A 40% anyway, I haven't flown all the different sizes yet but I'm working on it!!
For those that haven't seen Bipe do A build all I can say is it's worth waiting for and following. He does A thread you can follow and learn from!![8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16733.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1000454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93847.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1000455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39205.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1000456  
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
bipeguy03

Good Lookin planes Gene! Hows your hots fly? I love to take mine out and just bore holes in the sky all day long. I gotta get my fuel tank fixed so I can fly it again.

I'm lovin my suk, best flyin plane I have built ever hands down. I did break down and bought some JR digital servos at toledo this year, but for $19 a peice I could'nt pass em up. They work great on the ailerons and elevator but for some reason the rudder likes to spaz out,[:@] The only thing I can think of is it is becuase of the pull pull rudder cables, becuase the same servo does'nt do it when connected to a 4-40 pushrod.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Gray Beard

What can I say, it's A 60 size MW Hots with A YS 1.10 stuffed in the nose?? Stupid maybe?? It's just way too much fun. I can point it at the clouds and join them then do A flat spin all the way back down to earth. It's really A blender but to me it's just an old flat spin. I have the plans for the 91 inch Hots just not the time.
Harley is like any Extra, outstanding IMAC plane with the OS 1.20 pumper up front.
I have an old YS 1.20f and A big pile of good servos just waiting for something. I would like to build the CG Sukhoi but the price is just A taste too much sense they pulled the kit out of there line. After watching your Suk come together I went looking though.
I don't know what Spaz out is but A JR digatal for 19 beans!! Sweet. If it's just A HUMMMM or BUZZZZZZ it's just your wire may be A little tight. Switch it out with one of the others and see if it is still going nuts. With diditals all it takes is any tension at all, just put your finger on the control rod of one. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
bipeguy03

nope its not a buzz or humm like it was in a bind or had tension, my anologs do that. if you bumped the rudder stick it would wag the rudder almost like it was fluttering. not to full throw just about what 1/8 would be, it was almost like it vibrated? Kinda hard to explain I would post a vid But I already chnged the servo, whent back to the analog ball bearing, works fine!