Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who has built a Phaeton II?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who has built a Phaeton II?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
crashinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has built a Phaeton II?

Hi, considering building this bird, one question..........how are the wings attatched??

Troy
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Who has built a Phaeton II?

The one I've been around had Nylon screws holding the wings on. There were tabs on the cabanes to bolt the top wing on and the bottom wing was conventional bolt on.

Somewhere along the line they have updated the kit. I have no idea if it was an early or late model
Old 08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Siskiyouline
My Feedback: (1)

I have one of each (early and later version). The early version had the wings attached with rubber bands. The later version has wire cabanes and bolt on wings. I haven't built the later version yet. The early one I have that is built is very stable both on the ground and in the air.

Bud
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
bpasternak
My Feedback: (4)

I built several Phaeton II's in the 1980's. The kit today is quite different but I don't have any experience with the new kit. However, I can say that Balsa USA kits are excellent. I remember the manual in the earlier kit were simple text with no photos. Also, the older kits had a flaw where the hardwood for the wing hold downs were not large enough and required larger wood area to be secure. The upper wings would often break at the hardwood and the top wing would either break off or simply the front struts would break and the wing would go vertical. I had two kits fail. Later kits had a modification documented. But, as I've said, the current kit is completely different.

The Phaeton II is quite a performer. I've been looking for a winter kit project.....maybe the Phaeton II is it.

Best,
Brian
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM
crashinator

good stuff to know, Im gonna order one today for a winter build also!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
crashinator

Well, its ordered!!

What have you guys had for power in them?

I cant believe they can recommend up to a .91 4 stroke for a 52" wing span!!, but if it fits, I'm puttin' one in!!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
bpasternak
My Feedback: (4)

Don't forget that it is a 52" bipe. You'll need more power than a monoplane at the same ws.

I had an OS 60 Gold head in mine and it flew well. My phaetons did everything in the book. I was thinking of putting an OS55 AX in one if I build one this winter. It should be a quick build though.

Best,
Brian
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 AM
steveo64
My Feedback: (6)

I know this is an old thread but have any of you that built the Phaeton II either swept the top wing or both wings?

I would like to kit bash it into looking like a pitts wiht a swept top wing but I don't know what needs to change.

Any thoughts? or suggestions for other kits/ARF's this size that fly this good?

thanks!

Steve
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an O.S. four stroke .48 in mine and that flew it great, ~150 foot vertical capability prior to stalling out. Perfect engine for a nice scale-like flying plane.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM
MessyBessy

hows this plane fly?
slow?
fast?
will it glide with an engine out?
or is it a fast flyer?

im looking for a slow flying plane to have fun with
thanks
john
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had two of the smaller Phaetons and two of the larger ones. My last large one I modified to take a Quadra 72CC gasoline engine. Set the firewall back about two inches and beefed up the landing gear as the engine weighed 7 pounds. It still flew exceptionally well and would slow down nicely for three point landings. On all my Phaetons, I did enlarge the rudder a great deal (about double the original) as the effect of the rudder was pretty weak until I enlarged it. The Phaeton is one of my favorite bipes, either size flys great.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are four of us at our club that have the Phaeton II, and they all fly very well. I put an O.S. 70 FS in mine based on suggestion of another Phaeton owner, and I think it is perfect for this airframe. I was able to balance it with no ballast at all, battery mounted on top of fuel tank. I mounted my engine inverted to get the fuel tank centered with the carb. I can knife-edge for most of the length of the runway, but it falls out due to small rudder area. Inverted flight is nearly hands off, nearly no input needed to stay level. The wire landing gear looks kind of dorky, but works fine.

Last edited by FlyingPilgrim; 08-19-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney
I have had two of the smaller Phaetons and two of the larger ones. My last large one I modified to take a Quadra 72CC gasoline engine. Set the firewall back about two inches and beefed up the landing gear as the engine weighed 7 pounds. It still flew exceptionally well and would slow down nicely for three point landings. On all my Phaetons, I did enlarge the rudder a great deal (about double the original) as the effect of the rudder was pretty weak until I enlarged it. The Phaeton is one of my favorite bipes, either size flys great.
I am interested in possibly building the larger one. Any recommendations on a modern gas engine for this kit? I have a G38 and a G62 sitting around. I also have a Q75. The Q75 seems like it would be too big. After going down that road, would you recommend doing it again? Also, any other thoughts you have on the kit would be appreciated. Does it have a fully symmetrical airfoil?