Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4 Scale Tail section clarification

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4 Scale Tail section clarification

Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 PM
horseshoejack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/4 Scale Tail section clarification

Got back to my build finally and I'm having a problem understanding the directions on tail section assembly. I have built the horiz stab and elevator. Now, do I build the vert stab unit on to the fuse proper or do it as a separate peice and attach it all later as one or separate units??
I imagine this is clear as day but I'm being careful - the build, my first biggun', has really been going great so far - and this is the first incidence I've had with not comprehending the book.
Jack
Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Campgems

Default RE: Sig 1/4 Scale Tail section clarification

Jack, usually, almost always, the tail feathers are built on a flat surface and then assembled. I just don't know how you could keep them straigh otherwise.

A good rule of thumb is to build each surface seperatly and then assemble the parts. Some times it is best to cover the parts before assembly also. One exception is a flat wing, IE no dhideral. I've built two and both were built as one piece, no center joint.

Trying to build a the vertical on the plane can lead to a lot of twist. One exception to this that I know of is a plane like the "Hots" where the vertical is really part of the fuselage. Every rule has a number of excetions, so more info on what your are building will lead to a better answer.

Don

EDIT, A big PS here, If you are building a SIG kit, the answer is in the manual. They have the best build manual I have seen and it pays to follow each step and not try to build ahead. I've screwed up a wing by not sticking exactly to the manual.

Don
Old 09-01-2008, 07:33 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I am just completing a clip wing 1/4 scale Cub. You need to build the vertical flat over the plans and then attatch it to the fuse during compltetion. Be careful here and leave the spar long enough to reach the bottom of the fuse as this having to piece this area.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
outdoorhunting

Hey, Campgems, I'm building a "60" size Super Hots from plans & I built the tailfeathers "on the flat". I don't how else you could do it without getting some kind of twist. 90% of the time I also cover the tailfeathers before installing. I just pre-fit & then trim away enough covering for the epoxy. I may be doing it all wrong, but so far it's worked for me. !!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
horseshoejack

All good- I got confused when it showed flat on the plan, must have been that the fuse is in 3D now that crossed me up- or I'm just not in builder mode 100% yet.
Thanks. I'm sure this won't be the last bailout I come after!