Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 Cub Build Engine Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/5 Cub Build Engine Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
tundraman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/5 Cub Build Engine Ideas

Hi all,

I am piecing together my winter build project a Sig 1/5 Cub J-3. I know everyone has their own opinion on 4-stroke engine manufacture's, size etc. for this plane so I want hear all of your opinions. What are you guys using to power this cub and what type of flying do you do. Please include how you mounted your engine, i.e. inverted, sideways etc. and the type of engine mount you are using. I am looking the the Snuff Vibe by Jtec so any feedback is welcome. Thanks for all your input.

Engines I am considering:

1) Saito FA 82 Gold Knight
2) Saito FA 72 Gold Knight
3) Saito FA 62 Gold Knight
4) OS 81-FS
5) OS 70 FS II
6) Your choice goes here!

-Mike
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/5 Cub Build Engine Ideas

tundra,

I built one for an auction a couple years ago. It was standard wing and I mounted a Magnum XFS 70 4-stroke with the cylinder horizontal, starboard side. The guy who bought it has told me that the .70 is too much engine for the relaxed scale-like flying he likes to do. I suppose for that I'd go with a .52 if I did another. HOWEVER, if I built the clipped wing option, I'd keep the .70.

Either way, you'll enjoy this kit. It's very well engineered and very scale looking. The only place I would deviate from the instructions is to run the pull-pull cables for the rudder BEFORE you cover the plane. I did it after covering and had one helluva time getting them in place. Solartex makes a great covering for this plane. Have fun!

papermache
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Magnum .52 on mine. It is all you need and will fit the cowl.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:02 AM
S. Christensen

Hi,
We have three of the 1/5th scale Cubs flying and all three are powered with .52 four-strokes. These are either O.S. or Magnum. All three fly like Cubs and are a great deal of fun.
Scott @ SIG
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
tundraman

Thanks guys! Sounds like a 50-60 size engine would be good for scale flight. Has anyone flown this cub with a 70-80 size engine? How are the flight characteristics?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 PM
cheechukranch

*bay an old Saito 90 twin...they're great for this kit.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: cheechukranch

*bay an old Saito 90 twin...they're great for this kit.
Ya, I had looked at this as an option. Have you flown this cub with a twin 90? How does the extra engine weight effect the flight characteristics?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You certainly won't need much, or any, extra nose weight to balance it,(using the .90 twin) and if you had to add tail weight, the model can handle a good bit of weight gain and still fly great. What the others said about .50-.60 size 4 strokes goes for me, too. I'm a Saito fan and I have a .65 in mine, mounted inverted. The valve covers just barely contacted the cowl bottom and I have small cutouts to clear them, hardly noticeable. The newer .62 Saito is a shorter engine, basically a bored-out .56, and it will fit completely in the cowl. I found the two scale cowl inlets to be plenty, and just made a slot at the lower rear of the cowl for a cooling outlet and have never had problems with overheating. Although the .56 is plenty of power for scale flight, a .60-ish engine allows use of a scale diameter prop (14 in.) Anything bigger is a waste of motor, IMO, it really won't fly much faster, and has plenty of wing to be used for a towplane without needing a big engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41233.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1035249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92595.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1035250  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
tundraman

Hey Khodges! Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. What type of engine mount is that? DuBro?

-Mike
Old 09-18-2008, 06:50 PM
iflyg450

Satio .62 get the job done in mine. If I bulit the clipped wing version I would have put a larger engine.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: tundraman

Hey Khodges! Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. What type of engine mount is that? DuBro?

-Mike
You're welcome. yes, it's a DuBro antivibe mount. You'll notice that I had to recess part of the firewall to be able to maintain the correct firewall-to-prop hub distance. The mount works great, but the work to make it fit right might not be worth the benefits.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: khodges

-Mike
You're welcome. yes, it's a DuBro antivibe mount. You'll notice that I had to recess part of the firewall to be able to maintain the correct firewall-to-prop hub distance. The mount works great, but the work to make it fit right might not be worth the benefits.

Thanks for the advise regarding the mount. Great looking Cub!

-Mike
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
tundraman

Well guys I believe I have made up my mind. I have been exchanging PM's with a few other 1/5 cub pilots and I have decided I will be using either:

1) Saito 82 gold Knight
or
2) OS 81 FS-a

Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Go Saito, the OS is a little pricey and I think the Saito is the better engine and value.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM
iflyg450

Oh My God thats going to be a over powered Cub. Just my 2 cents but It's a Cub, You can put just so large of a engine till the airframe won't go any faster. I found mine with a saito .62 their is little change in performance from half throttle to Full. It takes off and climbs at 3/4. Thoes engines in full scale would be like replaceing the Continental C-85 with a Continental IO-470 Good luck you will love the Kit.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Oh My God thats going to be a over powered Cub. Just my 2 cents but It's a Cub, You can put just so large of a engine till the airframe won't go any faster. I found mine with a saito .62 their is little change in performance from half throttle to Full. It takes off and climbs at 3/4. Thoes engines in full scale would be like replaceing the Continental C-85 with a Continental IO-470 Good luck you will love the Kit.

Not necessarily. You have to take weight into consideration and flying style. My cub will be very scale and full of detail that will add lots of extra weight. The extra power will not be used to race the cub around pylons but rather a little bump to get out (or in) to trouble quickly. Just my flying style... Appreciate the opinion though.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
khodges

Not necessarily. You have to take weight into consideration and flying style. My cub will be very scale and full of detail that will add lots of extra weight. The extra power will not be used to race the cub around pylons but rather a little bump to get out (or in) to trouble quickly. Just my flying style... Appreciate the opinion though.
I can't help but agree with iflyg450. This is why. My L-4 weighs 11-1/2 pounds, maybe three pounds more than the average of one of these kits. Part of the reason is the scale gear, part is the large Rx battery pack I was using, the on-board glow system and its battery and the mods I made. It's also had some repairs over the years. The .65 gets it off the ground in about 50 feet at full throttle, and it will do anything the full scale will do at 1/2 throttle. Full throttle doesn't make it go faster, it just makes it climb. Aerobatically, it's a toad. It will loop just fine, but the roll rate can be timed with a calendar. It does nothing that extra power will really help, and the .65 is more than it needs.

I also have a Hangar 9 80" Cub, with the GP kit floats on it, and it also weighs 11+ pounds. I have a .72 Saito on it, and it will take off from choppy water at 1/2 throttle and cruise at 1/3. It, too, is overpowered and neither ever gets full throttle, there's no need.

It's your money, of course, but the bigger engine is just a waste of $$$ and horsepower on this model, plus, it's physically bigger and begins to look obtrusive.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: khodges

I can't help but agree with iflyg450. This is why. My L-4 weighs 11-1/2 pounds, maybe three pounds more than the average of one of these kits. Part of the reason is the scale gear, part is the large Rx battery pack I was using, the on-board glow system and its battery and the mods I made. It's also had some repairs over the years. The .65 gets it off the ground in about 50 feet at full throttle, and it will do anything the full scale will do at 1/2 throttle. Full throttle doesn't make it go faster, it just makes it climb. Aerobatically, it's a toad. It will loop just fine, but the roll rate can be timed with a calendar. It does nothing that extra power will really help, and the .65 is more than it needs.

I also have a Hangar 9 80" Cub, with the GP kit floats on it, and it also weighs 11+ pounds. I have a .72 Saito on it, and it will take off from choppy water at 1/2 throttle and cruise at 1/3. It, too, is overpowered and neither ever gets full throttle, there's no need.

It's your money, of course, but the bigger engine is just a waste of $$$ and horsepower on this model, plus, it's physically bigger and begins to look obtrusive.

Again, I appreciate your input but I think you guys aren't reading what I am posting. I am NOT installing this size engine because i want to do aerobatics. In fact, the Cub will be lucky to be rolled over. Why would it be a waste of money? Because you say so? Obtrusive? Some would say a 90T would be too large but it seems look pretty nice, not "obtrusive". It's all about how you see things. We obviously see things differently.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
iflyg450

Don't mean to give you a hard time. I know you won't be doing acro with it. Its just the Cub HAS SO MUCH WING AREA IT DOESN"T NEED A TONE OF HP TO MOVE IT. Even if you put a scale gear and cockpit ect. You still won't come close to overloading the wing. I did mine in probbley the heaviest covering Stits Poloyfiber with all the Rib tape and stiching It has the J3CUB GEAR.com Gear. Full Cockpit with large action figures. After all that I never even bothered to weight it because I know what a cub can haul. I found I had to add a liitle weight to the tail with the .62 any larger of an engine you just have to add more weight to back of the bus. At 199.00 the Saito .62 is a powerhouse for the price will fit completely in the couwl when inverted. And will swing a prop that looks scale. If you have your heart set on a larger engine go for it. I made the mistake when I started this hobby thinking I had to overpower everything. All Planes hanve a ponit where more HP is just more weight to put i the tail. Good luck and enjoy the ride Its a great plane to bulid and even better to fly. I won't bug you anymore
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
tundraman

Don't mean to give you a hard time. I know you won't be doing acro with it. Its just the Cub HAS SO MUCH WING AREA IT DOESN"T NEED A TONE OF HP TO MOVE IT. Even if you put a scale gear and cockpit ect. You still won't come close to overloading the wing. I did mine in probbley the heaviest covering Stits Poloyfiber with all the Rib tape and stiching It has the J3CUB GEAR.com Gear. Full Cockpit with large action figures. After all that I never even bothered to weight it because I know what a cub can haul. I found I had to add a liitle weight to the tail with the .62 any larger of an engine you just have to add more weight to back of the bus. At 199.00 the Saito .62 is a powerhouse for the price will fit completely in the couwl when inverted. And will swing a prop that looks scale. If you have your heart set on a larger engine go for it. I made the mistake when I started this hobby thinking I had to overpower everything. All Planes hanve a ponit where more HP is just more weight to put i the tail. Good luck and enjoy the ride Its a great plane to bulid and even better to fly. I won't bug you anymore

No worries your no bother at all. In fact this is the most constructive conversation yet. Keep the info coming. I am sure someone out there will appreciate it even if I decide to go a different route.

Happy flying.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 PM
tundraman

I made the mistake when I started this hobby thinking I had to overpower everything.
BTW, I have also been doing this for a long time. I am way beyond that stage.... But I do remember those days...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
tundraman

The weight differences between the Saito 62 and Saito 82 is minimal, something like 2-3oz. I do not believe the weight of the 82 will be a factor. And as you said iflyg450, there is so much wing it wont make a bit of difference.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I built this kit and put in a Magnum 70 FS. I chose this engine because I thought such a "large" plane could use the larger engine, and because the 70 would turn a 14" prop (approximately scale size). The maiden flight was with a 14X6 prop, and after about an 8' take off roll, the Cub jumped off the ground, nose high and continued that way until i pushed it level. Very uncublike! That combination proved to be not a good combination, as the plane would over react to throttle inputs. It just didn't fly very scale, at all. I ended up coming down to a 13" prop and flying at 1/2 throttle, max, in order for the plane to look and fly as I wanted it to. And as to having extra power to "get out of trouble", that concept has always been a little vague to me. Especially with a Cub! Whatever you choose, enjoy the Cub.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 AM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines

I built this kit and put in a Magnum 70 FS. I chose this engine because I thought such a "large" plane could use the larger engine, and because the 70 would turn a 14" prop (approximately scale size). The maiden flight was with a 14X6 prop, and after about an 8' take off roll, the Cub jumped off the ground, nose high and continued that way until i pushed it level. Very uncublike! That combination proved to be not a good combination, as the plane would over react to throttle inputs. It just didn't fly very scale, at all. I ended up coming down to a 13" prop and flying at 1/2 throttle, max, in order for the plane to look and fly as I wanted it to. And as to having extra power to "get out of trouble", that concept has always been a little vague to me. Especially with a Cub! Whatever you choose, enjoy the Cub.

If you had to do it over, what engine would you use?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
rcavi8or

i put a saito 60 twin in my hangar 9 cublooks great great sound..plenty of power..happy landings guys!