Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Super Skybolt Completed!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Super Skybolt Completed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:58 AM
WYDAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Skybolt Completed!

Hi All,

Well its been over a year in the making, but it is finally completed.

Great Planes Super Skybolt.
GMS .76 w/ 12X6 prop.
Hitec 425BB servos throughout.
Pull-Pull Rudder.
Dual servo split elevator.
Ultracote Bright Yellow/Black.
Just shy of 10lbs.
More construction pics on the web link below.

Waiting for some perfect weather and some stick time this season before the maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81366_13032.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	47964  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:00 AM
WYDAH

Another...

Name:	81368_13032.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	47965  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:04 AM
WYDAH

Other side..

Name:	81369_13032.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	47966  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:06 AM
WYDAH

And the Bottom...

Name:	81370_13032.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	47967  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:12 AM
firefox144

Default Great Job

Beautiful Job!

Funny, I was just posting the first flight of my GP Super Skybolt while you were posting this one. Let us know how she flys. At half throttle with an OS 91FX 2 cycle, she must have been doing at least a hundred.

Good luck.

Name:	81375_25113.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	47968  
Old 05-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Sprink

Wow, both of you have done an excellent covering job. Makes me want to buy one.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:05 PM
WYDAH

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Firefox,
I just read about your maiden flight. I probably should get some help ringing mine out for its first flight as well. I understand they need to come in pretty hot on the landings. I don't have a really accurate scale, but it looks like mine is about 2lbs heavier coming in at about 10lbs total. So I guess I'll be landing a bit faster still.
I'll keep you posted.

-Fitz.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:59 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pair of really classy looking bipes - congratulations! A friend has flown his for several years now with an 91 Surpass. Seems to be a great flying plane.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:16 AM
firefox144

Default Weight

The weight I posted is just a guess. I dont have a scale handy. I am quite sure it is as heavy as yours. But definately get an experienced pilot to take the first flight as it is smoking fast.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Devo

Congratulations, on the completion of one of the best looking biplanes available. Looks real good. Gotta say it'll look better in the air though. Mine weighs 10# 14oz. with a Saito 120. At this weight she wants to land fast. If your not real comfortable with your flying at this time, practice or get help. GP Skybolts don't like to crash, and punish those who crash them. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 06:38 PM
WYDAH

Default The Maiden Flight Went Beautifully!

Yes, finally found the time and a perfect (weather wise) day to maiden my GP Super Skybolt. Though a bit overcast, there was zero wind which counts as a perfect day for me. I've actually only been able to get to the field about a half dozen times this summer. The last four times I had just graduated off from my Kadet LT40 and had been practicing with my new Sig SE (what a blast that plane is by the way.) Knowing that winter was quickly approaching up here in New England I could not stand to see the Skybolt sit out the whole winter so I packed her up and went to the field today.

I was very nervous, but the plane handled and flew perfectly. I was worried that my GMS .76 engine might not be enough to get this 10lb plane up and around the field, but it performed wonderfully. I didn't do a whole lot other than circle the field repeatedly. I did manage a few nice large round loops, and a couple of rolls. The rolls were much slower than my Sig SE, but I had very low throws on the ailerons. I think I need to dial them up a bit and see what she'll do. Most of the flying was at 1/3 throttle and it hauled around nicely. I didn't try unlimited vertical, but it did pull up nicely for those large loops!

I do need to work on my landings however. I had no trouble keeping the wings nice and level, and was greasing it in nicely, but the second it touched down it would nose over and flip. It was on a grass field, and the grass was a bit on the tall side. It seems that the drag of the grass on touch down would just make it want to nose over. My friend suggests I give it some up elevator the second it touches down in order to help keep the tail planted. I'll have to give that a whirl the next time I take it out. There was no damage done, other than some embarassment of not so pretty landing

Thanks for all the help on these forums. This hobby (sport) is great fun, and I'm having a ball with it.

Name:	Qn38282.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	67227  
Old 10-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Devo

Default RE: The Maiden Flight Went Beautifully!

Congratulations on the maiden flight! If your grass is high try flying without the wheel pants. Not as pretty, but better than a broken stabilizer and/or rudder.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:23 PM
WYDAH

Default Nailing the Landing...

Thanks for the advise on the wheel pants Devo. Not sure if it's a drag thing, or just my inexperience with taildrager landing. Though I don't seem to have a problem with my Sig SE on landings, it has never wanted to nose over, it has pants too. I think part of my problem with the two landings of the Skybolt is that I was coming in very parallel with the ground. I should try and hold the nose up slightly, but I was very unsure of it's stall speed so I had been coming in rather fast and flew very level to the ground.
You know, maybe I should take a day off from work this week just so I can practice nailing the landings ! Better go check the weather page to see what the rest of the week is looking like....
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Cuzlikedam
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: GP Super Skybolt Completed!

i too have super skybolt. my is powered by a supre tigre 91 and boy did it scream.i'm now looking for someone to build me a new pair of wings...its a long story. lets just say my dog ate them... literaly. open to anyone wanting to build for someone else...thanks david
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 PM
CafeenMan

To expand on what Devo said...

A lot of times what happens is that when the plane sets down, the wheels "squash" and grab the wheel pants. If the wheel pants are solidly mounted, the plane flips. If not, the wheel pants come loose. Neither is a good thing. Make sure you have plenty of clearance around your wheels inside the pants.

Beautiful bibe. I love how you did the area behind the cockpit. Has a sinister look about it. Sort of like the bad guy with the expensive toys.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: The Maiden Flight Went Beautifully!

Congrats Wydah!
I have the GP Skybolt as well.
Seems it will land slower than they had said in the posts I've read.
I fly from a grass runway also, but haven't had any probems with it nosing over. although our runway is cut as low as dirt!
I have found with other taildraggers that some up elevator while taxiing or once touched down will help with the nose over tendency.
I don't have the wheel pants on my skybolt.
I like your color scheme on your skybolt. A bit from the ordinary but nice!

Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 11:40 AM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: Nailing the Landing...

Here's a pic of mine.

Name:	Sq47810.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	67834  
Old 10-15-2003, 11:55 AM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: Nailing the Landing...

Wydah:
This is just an observation on my part. I notice the extensions on your exhaust are rather long. Could they be touching the grass and/or ground if you land too flat?
You might want to try cutting off some of the exhaust extensions.
Just my $.02 worth!

Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 PM
WYDAH

Default Thanks for the tips, and complements...

Thanks for the advise on my landing...um..."issue". I may have to remove my pants and try the landing thing without them. I really do like the looks with them on, so I'll check for the 'squat' condition first. That might be a possibility.
I don't believe the exhaust extensions are a problem. I'm using a J'tech pitts muffler (very heavy by the way) and the extensions are just flexible black rubber tubing. But I suppose if they are brushing the grass, even though they are pretty flexible they might cause enough drag to bring the nose down...??

Not looking like the weather is cooperating with my skip work - fly plane ambitions this week...
Old 05-12-2004, 03:44 PM
jucava

Where do you get the color scheme from?
Old 05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
WYDAH

Hi,

I loosly based it on the following pic of the real thing. I also had a 3 view drawing which I colored up on the computer to the way I wanted it to look.

Name:	Sp45218.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	131750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93498.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	131751  
Old 05-13-2004, 02:02 PM
jucava

Have you fly it lately, how is she behaving?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:26 PM
jucava

Hey Firefox144 where do you get that spinner and what prop are you using?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:50 AM
WYDAH

Hi,

Well I've only made it to the field twice so far since the snow has melted. The 2nd time out I decided to take the Skybolt with me. I attemted to fly the first flight of the morning, but had some trouble with the takeoff run. [] The rudder has a lot more authority than my Sig SE does on the ground, and my inexperience with it resulted in a couple of quick S turns across the field while running up for takeoff. The result was one of the sides of my rudder horn pull-pull system broke free from the rudder. It was a CBA Nylon U shaped dual horn which I had pinned and epoxied to the base of the rudder. I think I am going to replace it with a solid bolt thru type with the threaded ears. So I have the part on order and hope to have it up in the air again shortly. Guess I''m glad that I broke it on the ground and not while in flight. The pic below show the horn I was using, and a pic of what I plan to replace it with.

Name:	Jh17307.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	132509   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10807.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	132510  
Old 05-15-2004, 12:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Better luck next time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.