Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
DaleJEckart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the problems with building that I have been dealing with is the cost of the tools. I have just gotten back into building after about 7 years and a divorce, and most of my modelling tools have gone missing (gee, imagine that). I must have spent $3-400 on tools recently and still don't have even CLOSE to what I used to have, not to mention spare parts (clevises, hinges, bolts, nuts, etc. etc. etc... then add up adhesives, etc...) - awful tough for a newbie, especially a young one, to deal with that cost. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean I believe that it is a good idea and very beneficial for pilots to build if for nothing more than to be able to figure out how to fix crashed aircraft. Me, I like building and flying equally, if not more towards building...
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean Dale, I took a 12 year break from the hobby and during that time I sold all of my tools and parts, not realizing the mistake I was making. Now, 3years after getting back into the hobby, I'm finaly beginning to get all the tools I need for building. One way I saved money was by buying stuff from e-bay and from other modelers getting out of the hobby. One purchase I made was from an estate of a modeler who had been building for 50 years for $350. That was a great buy, boxes full of balsa, ply and tools.
I also lean more towards building, I'm just finishing up a build and I'm already thinking of my next build. I must be addicted to balsa dust and ca glue.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 AM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few suggestions - There are a few people who buy R/C estates - you can find them in the ad sections of several different R/C related websites. If you can locate one near you , then you can probably get them to put together a box of stuff related to your needs at a reasonable price. Some clubs have a "slush fund" table at their meetings where people bring in their surplus stuff and proceeds go to the club - usually 1/4 to 1/3 of retail for the small stuff. and be sure and check the non-flying events section of model airplane news for swap shops
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm lucky in that I have had a Dremel scroll saw for years and lucked into a dremel belt sander and tablesaw in a garage sale. Still I cut my last two sets of 3/16" wingribs out with an Xacto knife for the fun it. I find it relaxing for some reason.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Aerobatx
My Feedback: (1)

I recently, because of an illness, included all my airplanes in my will. This one to Jerry this one to Sid, etc. Even and including my trailer and kits. Now there's no doubt that my planes will fly long after I'm gone.

Last edited by Aerobatx; 10-24-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing a few months ago..........also inclluded all my shop supplies and tools as well as my trailer.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Freekt

for me building is more than just about costs. I love to see a plane come together . Personally I really like SIG and top flite. Some more tips for kits:

IMP Scale, http://www.impscale.com/
Tony Nijhuis, http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/
Skyshark, http://www.skysharkrc.com/

Freek
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE 66
This is for general discussion. I've got a few years of modeling under my belt, and I recall when ARF's were the rarity, example: Lanier's models, Jesters, etc. and kits abound of the balsa type. Now, because of "change" the opposite is true. Less kits verse's many ARF'S, ARC'S etc. available.
Yes, I remember those Lanier models. I bought a Lanier Pinto in the late 1970's. Regarding old kits, I'm now building a 1959 Berkeley Impulse single channel pylon racer. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...lse-build.html Berkeley fell into oblivion sometime in the 1960's. This kit is rather rough compared with modern laser cut kits. Overall one would almost be better off scratch building than using kit wood and somewhat imprecise die cutting.

Regarding costs, kit costs are now up, this vintage kit wasn't in that great of shape so its resale value with collectors is diminished.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As the arf's continue to go up in price i am hoping to see the kits come back at least to a reasonable level.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 AM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
As the arf's continue to go up in price i am hoping to see the kits come back at least to a reasonable level.
I don't see that happening with the price of sky high balsa and the fact very few people build kits. So you have no incentive as a kit manufacture to lower prices as there is very little competition in the market place.
John
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM
OldScaleGuy

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear. I should have said:
As the arf's are going up in price i am hoping there will be more kits available and modelers will start building again.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
GallopingGhostler

Inasmuch as I'd like to see more kits offered, I've downloaded sufficient PDF plans to scratch build planes. Thus, kits are becoming less of a factor at least with me. Then there are alternative materials to experiment with, such as 20"x30"x3/16" (508mm x 762mm x 5mm) poster foamboard sold by Dollar Tree for $1 US per sheet.

Only thing with scratch building is one basically cuts out pieces to create a kit, then assembles and builds. Even though balsa is more expensive now, equipped with a decent set of plans and patterns, one can do a cost effective job of building. However, those with more overhead in their lives, then ARF is the way to go. It ensures maximizing field time without time taken away for building. It seems that more and more people are working overtime then ever.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

ARF flyers still have the same amount of time AT NIGHT to build as do kit builders.........
Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Yank II

I may be thinking wrong here, but I took kits to mean balsa conventional building, not the foamy market. I do know the makeup of most clubs are quite different form 20 years ago. You either built or you were not in the hobby. That does not make one better than the other, just different.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 AM
GallopingGhostler

Oh, I was more referring to that the foam for example might be applied to elements such as wing ribs, sheeting, etc. I bought myself a small stock of the stuff and in future plan to try it out, see what works and doesn't. It is mainly a cost mitigating issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the foam board for ribs and formers before with poster board for sheeting. Worked pretty good, I built a small ugly stik and put an OS .10 on it.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM
HOT COALS

I have been using styrofoum, for good many years. MOSTLY FOR WINGS % TAIL FEATHERS. AND LATELY the price of balsa has gone sky high. I remember the ups guy spending at least 30 mins unloading my wood...nown he here lest than 10 mins. I am looking for better ways to stay in the hobby. ARFs out of the ???. BOUGHT 2, not very satisfied. Mostly scract built.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Balsa is like everything else it's going up. All we can do is buckle down and hold on and buy what we can when we can. I don't stock extra balsa much anymore sticking to just what I need for a project. I use to buy all the materials up front now I kind of space my purchases out. I buy pretty much everything from my LHS so I don't have to make a big order to make it worth the freight.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been using 2 to 4 lb per cubic foot open cell urethane foam as a substitute for balsa block for many years now. It is grainless, sands easily, can be worked with a razor plane, and is easy to cover with lightweight fiberglass . makes great turtledecks, wing tips, nose blocks, cheek blocks, and even canopies that do not need to be transparent.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM
zeroback

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
I already see that happening although the cost of one kit I saw was more costly the original ARF was 10 years ago. I was happy to see the frame back in production as I have one that needs some repair and considered buying the kit but $139.00 for a box of sticks and a simple blow mold cowl built for the speed 400 power systems is kind of steep. I have two complete wings one used salvaged from the carnage and a brand new set still in the bag. Just need the planes for the fuse. I still have the tail surfaces and about two inches of fuse.
But that aside that's why I'm looking for a frame for a OS .70 4S completely open to suggestions.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the Perry, Georgia swap meet this weekend......thousands of kits and planes to choose from.........I'll be there selling 15 kits and several engines.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM
tailskid

Color me GREEN with envy.....I used to go there on a regular basis - and as far as I can tell, Perry is the #1 swap shop in the USA......
Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by tailskid
Color me GREEN with envy.....I used to go there on a regular basis - and as far as I can tell, Perry is the #1 swap shop in the USA......
That's it stick the knife in and twist hard! Sounds like the swap meet to end all swap meets!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM
tailskid

FlyerinOKC, I'm sure it has grown since I was last there...but it was THREE huge buildings (State Fair buildings) that was wall to wall tables! It took almost two hours just to quickly walk down each isle....all day if you wanted to stop and look Sure wish I could go back again...and bring something back to AZ.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Do you remember who put it on? I must have missed that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.