Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Repairing an old Bud Nosen Citabria

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Repairing an old Bud Nosen Citabria

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Daveb572

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing an old Bud Nosen Citabria

Gentlemen, I hope this post finds everyone very well! I have a dilema I was hoping someone might have some advice. I wish to repair an old Bud Nosen 1/4 scale Citabria that I've had for some years. It's been in storage for many years and has some moderate to heavy "hanger-rash." My problem is that the covering on the wings and tail feathers appears to be a material akin to silkspan and dope. It's also painted. I need to get into the wing structure to replace the wing strut mounts. Does any one have any suggestions for removing the silkspan covering without damaging the structure beneath? Not to slight any of the newer guys...or gals here, but I was hoping that some of the more experienced "old-school" modellers might have dealt with this issue in the past. Any advice would be greatly appreviated. Thanks! Dave Bryer
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Repairing an old Bud Nosen Citabria

Dave,
I have worked with dope and fabric quite a bit, I would try brushing a coat of dope/Laquer thinner into the fabric where it is adhered to the structure and see if that softens up the bond. Depending on the finish coat the thinner may or may not penetrate, if it does it should release the fabric.
You can pick up a quart of laquer thinner at yoour local Home Supply pretty cheap, try it on a localized area 1st.
Good Luck!!
Anthony
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Live Wire

Dave
I have used a heat gun to loosen the bond but be carefull not to get it to hot, could have a great problem. When using thinner make sure you check all surfaces to make sure they are still bounded, Acetone works also.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Daveb572

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help! I had thought of the thinner and also the heat gun ideas but was unsure of the effect the thinner would have on the structure beneath. I hadn't thought of using acetone, though. Hopefully, I can get to work on the Citabria in the next couple weeks. I should be getting my Balsa USA EAA Bipe off the building boards by then and start on the Citabria. I'm looking forward to flying both these models as soon as they're finished and the weather breaks. Thanks again! Dave Bryer